Sleep and Circadian Research Group
The Sleep and Circadian Research Group aims to improve respiratory and sleep health through excellence in research, clinical management and education.
The Sleep and Circadian Research Group conducts patient-centred translational research across a broad spectrum of sleep disorders at our purpose built research centre at the Woolcock Institute, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and other affiliated hospitals. Our comprehensive research program is centred on understanding the impact of sleep disorders on health and wellbeing, and developing new diagnostic and therapeutic pathways to improve sleep health.
We have funded programs of research in several key areas. These include research into the cardiovascular and metabolic consequences of sleep apnea; ventilatory failure during sleep; cognitive performance and sleep loss; circadian rhythm disorders; shift work and productivity; and impaired brain functioning in sleep disorders such as insomnia, sleep apnea and sleep movement disorders.
We have made significant contribution to the field of sleep medicine and research publishing 37 peer-reviewed original research articles, 19 review articles, seven invited editorials and one book chapter.
Our research achievements were recognised nationally and internationally with several awards and prizes:
- Djavadkhani, Y. Young Investigator Award, Australasian Sleep Association meeting, Oct 2015, Melbourne.
- D'Rozario, A. Ann Woolcock Training Award (International), $7,500, November 2015.
Higher Degree Students:
- Rabiya Atif, Research Assistant, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- A/Prof Delwyn Bartlett, Clinical Psychologist, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Maria Comas-Soberats, Research Fellow, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Angela D'Rozario, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Kirsty Dodds, Clinical Trial Coordinator, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Paola Espinel Diaz, Research Manager, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Yael Galgut, Research Assistant, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Christopher Gordon, Research Associate, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Prof Ron Grunstein, Senior Staff Specialist & Research Lead, RPA, CIRUS, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Parissa Hassan, Research Assistant, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Camilla Hoyos, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Roo Killick, Clinical Research Fellow - CCRE, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- A/Prof Nathaniel Marshall, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Kerri Melehan, Research Associate, RPA, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Christopher Miller, Research Fellow, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Hannah Openshaw, Project Coordinator, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Craig Phillips, Research Fellow, North Shore Hospital, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Kate Sutherland, Research Fellow, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Jenny Theorell-Haglow, Visiting Research Fellow, Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Dr David Wang, Senior Scientist and NHMRC Research Fellow, RPA, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Keith Wong, Senior Staff Specialist, RPA, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Dr Jong Won Kim, CCRE Post Doctoral Fellow, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- A/Prof Brendon Yee, Senior Staff Specialist, RPA, University of Sydney, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research.
- Julia Chapman
- Janet Cheung
- Nathan Cross
- Gagandeep Kaur
- Liora Kempler
- Edmund Lau
- Haider Naqvi
- Luke Rowsell
- Yasmina Djavadkhani
- Anna Mullins
Publications and Presentations
- Allsop DJ, Bartlett DJ, Johnston J, Helliwell D, Winstock A, McGregor IS, Lintzeris N. 'The Effects of Lithium Carbonate Supplemented with Nitrazepam on Sleep Disturbance during Cannabis Abstinence'. J Clin Sleep Med. 2015 Oct 15;11(10):1153-62. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.5090.
- Antic, N.A.,Heeley, E, Anderson,C.S.,Luo,Y., Wang, J.,Neal, B.,Grunstein,R., Barbe,ZF.,Lorenzi-Filho,G.,Huang,S.,Redline,S.,Zhong,N.,McEvoy,R.D. (2014). The Sleep Apnea cardioVascular Endpoints (SAVE) Trial: Rationale, Ethics, Design and Progress. Sleep (in press). Sleep. 2015 Aug 1; 38(8):1247-57. doi: 10.5665/sleep.4902.
- Appleton SL, Vakulin A, McEvoy RD, Wittert GA, Martin SA, Grant JF, Taylor AW, Antic NA, Catcheside PG, Adams RJ. Nocturnal hypoxemia and severe OSA are associated with recent development of Type 2 diabetes in a population cohort of men. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 2015 Jun 15; 11 (6):609-14. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.4768.
- Appleton S, Vakulin A, McEvoy RD, Vincent A, Martin S, Grant J, Taylor A, Antic N, Catcheside P, Wittert G, Adams R. 'Undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea is independently associated with reductions in quality of life in middle-aged, but not elderly men of a population cohort'. Sleep and Breathing, 2015 Dec; 19(4):1309-16. doi: 10.1007/s11325-015-1171-5.
- Bolitho, S.J., Naismith, S.L., Terpening, Z., Grunstein, R.R., Melehan, K., Yee, B.J., Coeytaux, A., Lewis, S.J.G. 'Investigating the night-to-night variability of REM without atonia in Parkinson's disease' Sleep Med 2015, 16 (1), pp. 190-193. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2014.08.007
- Cain SW, Filtness AJ, Phillips CL, Anderson C. 'Enhanced preference for high-fat foods following a simulated night shift'. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2015 May 1;41(3):288-93. doi: 10.5271/sjweh.3486. Epub 2015 Feb 20. PMID: 25699635
- Cheung JM, Bartlett DJ, Armour CL, Saini B. 'Treating Insomnia: A Review of Patient Perceptions Toward Treatment'. Behav Sleep Med. 2015 Aug 4:1-32. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26240937
- Cheung JM, Bartlett DJ, Armour CL, Ellis JG, Saini B. 'People with insomnia: experiences with sedative hypnotics and risk perception'. Health Expect. 2015 Aug 3. doi: 10.1111/hex.12388. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26237994
- Dwyer TJ, Robbins L, Kelly P, Piper AJ, Bell SC, Bye PT. 'Non-invasive ventilation used as an adjunct to airway clearance treatments improves lung function during an acute exacerbation of cystic fibrosis: a randomised trial', J Physiother. 2015 Jul;61(3):142-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jphys.2015.05.019. Epub 2015 Jun 18.
- Djavadkhani Y, Marshall NS, D'Rozario AL, Crawford MR, Yee BJ, Grunstein RR, Phillips CL. 'Ethics, consent and blinding: lessons from a placebo/sham controlled CPAP crossover trial'. Thorax, 2015 Mar; 70(3):265-9. doi: 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2014-206354
- D'Rozario AL, Dungan GC, Banks S, Liu PY, Wong KKH, Killick R, Grunstein RR, & Kim JW. 'An automated algorithm to identify and reject artefact for quantitative EEG analysis during sleep in patients with sleep-disordered breathing'. Sleep Breath 2015 May;19(2):607-15 doi: 10.1007/s11325-014-1056-z
- Fuller JM, Wong KK, Hoyos C, Krass I, Saini B. 'Dispensing good sleep health behaviours not pills - a cluster-randomized controlled trial to test the feasibility and efficacy of pharmacist-provided brief behavioural treatment for insomnia'. J Sleep Res. 2016, 25(1):104-115. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12328.
- Hanes CA, Wong KK, Saini B. 'Consolidating innovative practice models: The case for obstructive sleep apnea services in Australian pharmacies'. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2015 May-Jun; 11(3):412-27. doi: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2014.08.009. Epub 2014 Aug 27 PMID: 25262387
- Hanes CA, Wong KK, Saini B. 'Diagnostic pathways for obstructive sleep apnoea in the Australian community: observations from pharmacy-based CPAP providers' Sleep Breath. 2015 1. May-Jun;11(3):412-27. doi: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2014.08.009. Epub 2014 Aug 27.
- Hoyos CM, Yee BJ, Wong K, Grunstein, RR, Phillips C. 'Treatment of sleep apnea with CPAP lowers central and peripheral blood pressure independent of the time-of-day: A Randomised Controlled Study'. Am J Hypertens. 2015 Oct;28(10):1222-8. doi: 10.1093/ajh/hpv023. Epub 2015 Mar 28.
- Iftikhar IH, Hoyos CM, Phillips CL, Magalang UJ. 'Meta-analyses of the Association of Sleep Apnea with Insulin Resistance, and the Effects of CPAP on HOMA-IR, Adiponectin, and Visceral Adipose Fat'. J Clin Sleep Med 2015;11(4): 475-85.
- Kempler L., Sharp, L., Miller, C.B., & Bartlett D.J., 'Do behavioural sleep interventions improve infant sleep and mothers' mood: systematic review and meta-analysis', Sleep Med Rev 2015 Aug 20;29:15-22. doi: 10.1016/j.smrv.2015.08.002. [Epub ahead of print]
- Killick R, Hoyos CM, Melehan K, Dungan GC, Poh J, Liu. PY 'Metabolic and hormonal effects of 'catch-up' sleep in men with chronic, repetitive, lifestyle-driven sleep restriction' Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2015 Oct;83(4):498-507. doi: 10.1111/cen.12747.
- Kyle S.D., Aquino, M.R.J., Miller, C.B., Henry, A., Crawford, M. R., Espie, C.A., & Spielman, A.J. 'Towards standardisation and improved understanding of sleep restriction therapy for insomnia disorder: A systematic examination of CBT-I trial content'. Sleep Med Rev 2015 Oct; 23:83-8. doi: 10.1016/j.smrv.2015.02.003
- Miller CB, Gordon CJ, Toubia L, Bartlett DJ, Grunstein RR, D'Rozario AL, Marshall NS. 'Agreement between simple questions about sleep duration and sleep diaries in a large online survey'. Sleep Health 2015 June; 1(2):133-137doi:10.1016/j.sleh.2015.02.007
- Phillips CL, Laher I, Yee BJ. 'Is the Kidney Yet Another Potential End-Organ Casualty of Obstructive Sleep Apnea?' Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Oct 1;192(7):779-81. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201507-1433ED.
- Piper AJ. 'High-flow oxygen reduces 90-day mortality, compared with standard oxygen or non-invasive ventilation, in patients with acute hypoxaemic respiratory failure [commentary]'. J Physiother. 2015 Oct;61(4):222. doi: 10.1016/j.jphys.2015.07.004. Epub 2015 Sep 9.
- Rose AR, Catcheside PG, McEvoy RD, Paul D, Kapur D, Peak E, Vakulin A, Antic NA. 'Sleep disordered breathing and chronic respiratory failure in patients with chronic pain on long term opioid therapy'. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 2014;10(8):847-52
- Sivam, S., Witting, P.K., Hoyos, C.M., Maw, A.M., Yee, B.J., Grunstein, R.R., Phillips, C.L. 'Effects of 8 weeks of CPAP on Lipid-based Oxidative Markers in Obstructive Sleep Apnoea: A Randomised Trial'. Journal of Sleep Research 2015 Jun;24(3):339-45. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12271
- Sutherland K, Phillips C, Cistulli P. 'Efficacy versus Effectiveness in the treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: CPAP and oral appliances'. Journal of Dental Sleep Medicine. 2015;2(4):175-181.
- Sutherland K, Phillips CL, Davies A, Srinivasan VK, Dalci O, Yee BJ, Darendeliler MA, Grunstein RR, Cistulli PA. 'CPAP pressure for prediction of oral appliance treatment response in obstructive sleep apnea'. J Clin Sleep Med. 2014 Sep 15; 10(9):943-9. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.4020. PMID: 25142773.
- Terpening Z, Lewis SJ, Yee B, Grunstein R, Hickie IB, Naismith SL. 'Association between Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Neuropsychological Performance in Older Adults with Mild Cognitive Impairment'. J Alzheimers Dis. 2015 May; 46(1): 157-165. doi: 10.3233/jad-141860
- Todd G, Haberfield M, Faulkner PL, Hayes M, Wilcox RA, Rae C, Bulathsinhala T, Grunstein RR, Yee BJ. & Double KL, 'Upper limb function is normal in patients with restless legs syndrome (Willis-Ekbom Disease)', Clinical Neurophysiology 2015 Apr; 126(4):736-42. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2014.07.010
- Wang D, Yee BJ, Wong KK, Kim JW, Dijk DJ, Duffin J & Grunstein RR 'Comparing the Effect of Hypercapnia and Hypoxia on the Electroencephalogram during Wakefulness' Clinical Neurophysiology, 2015; 126(1):103-109
- Wang D, Yee BJ, Rowsell L. 'Sleep-disordered breathing-related neurocognitive impairment, time to think beyond hypoxia and sleep fragmentation?' Sleep Breath. 2015 Mar; 19(1):23-4. doi: 10.1007/s11325-014-1013-x.
- Wang D, Bai XX, Williams SC, Hua SC, Kim JW, Marshall NS, D'Rozario A, Grunstein RR. 'Modafinil increases awake EEG activation and improves performance in obstructive sleep apnea during CPAP withdrawal'. SLEEP, 2015 Aug, 38(8): 1297-303. doi:10.5665/sleep.4912.
- Hoyos C.M., Melehan K.L., Phillips C.L., Grunstein R.R., Liu P.Y., 'To ED or not to Ed - Is erectile dysfunction in obstructive sleep apnea related to endothelial dysfunction?', Sleep Med Reviews, 2015 Apr;20C:5-14. pii: S1087-0792(14)00025-2. doi: 10.1016/j.smrv.2014.03.004.
- Hoyos CM, Glozier N, Marshall NS. Recent evidence on worldwide trends in sleep duration (Invited review). CURRENT SLEEP MEDICINE REPORTS (Published online 8th Oct 2015)
- Hoyos C.M., Melehan K.L., Liu P.Y., Grunstein R.R. & Phillips C.L., 'Does Obstructive Sleep Apnea cause Endothelial Dysfunction? A critical review of the literature', Sleep Medicine Reviews 2015 Apr; 20C:15-26. doi: 10.1016/j.smrv.2014.06.003
- Kempler L, Sharpe L, Bartlett DJ. 'Response to SMRV-D-15-564: Not yet time to throw the baby out with the bathwater, a paradigm shift is premature' Sleep Med Rev. 2015 Nov 18. pii: S1087-0792(15)00151-3. doi: 10.1016/j.smrv.2015.11.001. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kempler L, Sharpe L, Miller CB, Bartlett DJ. 'Do psychosocial sleep interventions improve infant sleep or maternal mood in the postnatal period? A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials'. Sleep Med Rev. 2015 Aug 20;29:15-22. doi: 10.1016/j.smrv.2015.08.002. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PMID: 26555938
- Pressman MR, Grunstein RR, Mahowald MW, Schenck CH, Montplaisir JY, Bornemann MC, Zadra A, Buchanan PR. 'Alcohol and sleep review: flawed design, methods, and statistics cannot support conclusions'. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2015 May; 39(5):941-3. doi: 10.1111/acer.12712. Epub 2015 Apr 13. PMID: 25871341
- Sivam S, Hoyos CM, Yee BJ, Phillips CL, Grunstein RR. 'OSA and Bariatric Surgery' Chapter 8, ERS Monograph ERJ 2015, 10.1183/2312508X.erm6715.
- Bartlett D. Keynote speaker: 'Insomnia, mood and circadian rhythm - what precedes what?'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Banerjee D. Oral presentation, breakfast meeting: 'Choosing the correct patient, drug administration and patient monitoring. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Banerjee D, Cheng M, Clements F, Grunstein R. Poster: 'The utility of CPAP predictive formulae in an Australian population with OSA - a comparison with in-house CPAP titration'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Banerjee D, Cheng M, Clements F, Grunstein r. Poster: 'The effect of one night of CPAP on sleep architecture in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea - An obese vs non-obese comparative study' Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Banerjee D, Cheng M, Clements F, and Grunstein R. Poster: 'Age related changes in sleep architecture and the effect of one night of CPAP therapy'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Cayanan E, Hoyos C, Marshall N, Wong K, Yee B, Djavadkhani Y, Grunstein. Oral presentation: 'Effectiveness of two maintenance diets following a very low energy diet to reduce cardio-metabolic risk in obese sleep apnea patients: a randomised controlled trial'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Cheung J, Moghe R, Marshall NS, Williams KA, Saini B. Poster: 'Sleep Health Behaviours and Practices and their Impact on Sleep Quality Among an Online Insomnia Patient Population'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Chapman J, Cayanan E, Banerjee D, Djavadkhani Y, Naqvi H, Wong K, Yee B, Grunstein R, Marshall N. Poster: 'Recruiting Outside the Box: An Analysis of Recruitment Methods used in a Treatment Resistant OSA Population'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Cross N, Terpening Z, D'Rozario A, Kim JW, Lewis S, Grunstein R, Naismith S. Oral presentation: 'The effect of obstructive sleep apnoea on the relationship between sigma power and memory performance in mild cognitive impairment'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Cross N, Harrison C, Yee B, Wong K, Grunstein R, Britt H, Marshall N. Poster: 'The management of snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea in Australian primary care: The BEACH study (2000-2014). Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Djavadkhani Y, Yee B, Lee P, Wong K, Cistulli P, Arima H, Grunstein R, Phillips C. Plenary Session: 'Effects of evening versus morning administration of an ACE-inhibitor on 24 hour blood pressure control in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea and hypertension: a double blind randomised controlled trial'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Djavadkhani Y and Hamilton, G. Oral presentation: 'A review of the Sodium Oxybate in narcolepsy trials and funding issues'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Dodds K, Marshall N, Miller C, Kim JW, Bartlett D, Grunstein R, Gordon C. Poster 'Heart rate variability in insomnia patients: a preliminary analysis'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Duffy SL, Lagopoulos J, Terpening Z, Grunstein R, Hickie IB, Naismith SL. Poster: 'In-vivo glutathione relates to sleep apnoea severity and oxygen desaturation in older adults'. Alzheimer's Association International Conference, Washington, July 2015.
- Grunstein, R. Plenary speaker at the Taiwan Sleep Society meeting, Taiwan, Republic of China, March 2015
- Grunstein, R. Oral presentation: 'Career development and international collaboration'. Sleep Research Society 20th Annual Trainee Symposia Series, Seattle, June 2015
- Kaur G, Gan YL, Phillips C, Wong K, Saini B. Poster: 'Chronotherapy in practice- From the perspective of the community pharmacist'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Miller C, Gordon C, Toubia L, Bartlett D, Grunstein R, D'Rozario A, Marshall N. Poster: 'Agreement between simple questions about sleep duration and sleep diaries in a large online survey'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Mullins A, Kim JW, Marshall N, Grunstein R, Naismith S, Lewis S. Oral presentation: 'Reduced sleep spindle density in Parkinson's disease: A case-control study'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Mullins A, Bartlett D, Kim JW, Marshall N, Miller C, Gordon C, Grunstein R. Oral presentation: 'Quantitative EEG analysis around sleep onset reveals differences between objectively defined Insomnia groups'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Nguyen C, Wellman A, Jordan A, Eckert D. Oral presentation: 'Mild airflow limitation increases cortical activation and K-complex frequency'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Rowsell L, Wong K, Yee B, Eckert D, Grunstein R, Wang D. Oral presentation: 'The effect of morphine on obstructive sleep apnea- A randomised double-blind placebo-controlled crossover trial'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Sivam S, Echevarria T, Yee B, Piper A. Poster: 'Increasing ventilatory requirements in a patient with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - The heart of the matter'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
- Wang, D. Symposia: 'Hypercapnia and hypoxia, sleep disordered breathing and neurocognitive outcomes'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015.
- Vakulin, A. Symposia: 'The search for electrophysiological biomarkers of vigilance failure in OSA'. Sleep DownUnder 2015, Melbourne, Oct 2015
|Balnaves Foundation and Sydney Medical School, Faculty of Medicine Kickstart Grant
||Does altered sleep physiology mediate cognitive decline and neurodegeneration in older people with mild cognitive impairment?
| $ 20,000
|Balnaves Foundation and Sydney Medical School, Faculty of Medicine Kickstart Grant
||Modafinil for sleep restriction therapy effects in insomnia – The Moderate Pilot Trial.
| $ 22,375
|University of Sydney BMRI SPARC
||Pearson S, Schneider C, Karanges E, McGregor I, Buckley N, McLachlan A, Wilson F, Marshall N, Hunt G, Allsop D, Bowen M
||‘BIG DATA’ to evidence: Post-market surveillance of psychotropic medicines in Australia.
| $ 49,700
|University of Sydney Cancer SPARC
||Kairaitis K, Amis T, Mann G, De Fazio A, Wain G, Clarke C, Dhillon H, Marshall N.
||Determining sleep phenotypes in cancer cohorts: interactions with cancer biology and impacts on quality of life
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Professor Ron Grunstein
Department/Unit: Sleep and Circadian Research Group
431 Glebe Point rd
Telephone: (02) 9114 0438
Facsimile: (02) 9114 0014