Department of Endocrinology
Prof Markus Seibel
Ongoing clinical studies:
- Secondary Fracture Prevention - a 10 year follow-up cohort study (CI) This ongoing clinical study aims to investigate the long-term effects of a Fracture Liaison Service on re-fracture rates in patients with incident osteoporotic fractures (with Dr Ganda).
- FRACTER study (CI) Investigator-initiated clinical study to assess the effects of teriparatide treatment on subsequent fracture events and bone mineral density in patients with severe osteoporosis who have fractured on conventional anti-resorptive drugs (with Drs Mayadune and Ganda).
- Barriers to fracture prevention in General Practice (CI) An analysis of the barrier to osteoporosis treatment in General Practice (with Drs Shamani Mendis and Kirtan Ganda), supported by a grant from ANZBMS.
- ZiPP study (CI for Concord and Newcastle) A multi-centre, international, investigator-initiated study on the effect of Zoledronic acid in the prevention of Paget's disease.
- Asia and Latin America Fracture Observational Study (ALAFOS) An open-label study funded by Eli Lilly to prospectively evaluate the effect of teriparatide on change sin bone mineral density and osteoporotic fracture risk.
Dr Kirtan Ganda
- Maintenance of Concord Hospital Minimal Trauma Fracture Clinic database (with Prof Seibel).
- Supervising two students in analysis of data from the Concord Hospital Secondary Fracture Prevention program (with Prof Seibel) a. Assessing the relationship between fracture site and diabetes b. Assessing and validating the Garvan fracture risk calculator amongst patients managed within a Secondary Fracture Prevention Program.
- Co-investigator: Zoledronic in Prevention of Paget's disease (Zipp) study (with Prof Seibel) Part of team leading a project to develop international minimum dataset for Secondary Fracture Prevention programs (with Prof Seibel).
- Principal investigator in study funded through HCF Research Foundation: 'Systems based identification of patients with osteoporotic vertebral fracture' - submitted application in 2015, awarded in 2015 and being conducted during 2016 (with Prof Seibel).
- Principal investigator at Concord Hospital in ALAFOS (Asia and Latin America Fracture Observational Study) which with prospectively evaluation patients commenced upon teriparatide treatment.
Dr Nic Kormas
- Comparing Outcomes and Cost Effectiveness of Metabolic Rehabilitation Programs Concord /Camden (Intensive Interdisciplinary Collocated Program with On-site Exercise Program) and Metabolism & Obesity Services Clinic RPAH (Case Managed Multidisciplinary Team Model Of Care) in pre-operative and post-operative management of publically funded bariatric surgery in Sydney LHD during 2009 and 2015 period.
- Prospective outcome study of the Metabolic Rehabilitation Obesity Hypoventilation Program Concord Hospital (Intensive Interdisciplinary Collocated Program with On-site Exercise Program) between 2012-15.
Dr Avi Suryawanshi
- 'Hypoglycaemia in Elderly - Assessing Risk' (HEAR) study This study was set up in late 2015 to look at the risk factors for hypoglycaemia in the elderly. Hypoglycaemia is one of the common cause of major morbidity in elderly patients causing fractures, stroke, myocardial infarction etc. The study has received approval by the SLHD ethics committee.
Clin A/Prof Roger Chen
- Interdisciplinary collaboration in clinical research with psychiatry, cardiology, sleep medicine and allied health in Collaborative Centre for Cardiometabolic Health in Psychosis (with Prof Tim Lambert, Dr Jeff Snars, Dr Vincent Chow, Prof David LeCouteur, Prof Ron Grunstein , Prof Fiona Blyth and others).
- Lead on Australian Diabetes Society (NDSS) Position Paper on Diabetes and Psychotic Disorders (in progress).
- Collaboration in examination and evaluation of relationship between pregnancy, diabetes and depression (with Prof Ian Gallen, Berkshire UK, Prof Henrik Falhammar, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, A/Prof Glynis Ross, RPAH and others).
- Collaboration with A/Prof Naganathan, Dr S Swaraj: Study on Vitamin B 12 levels in Diabetes.
- Collaboration with Dr Paul Norwood, Fresno, Dr Ildiko Lingvay, Dallas and others reviewing hypoglycaemia with combinations of Insulin and Liraglutide.
Higher Degree Students:
- Prof Markus Seibel
- Dr Nic Kormas
- Dr Avi Suryawanshi
- Clin A/Prof Roger Chen
- Prof Markus Seibel currently supervising 3 PhD students
Publications and Presentations
- Hsu B, Cumming RG, Blyth FM, Naganathan V, Le Couteur DG, Seibel MJ, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ. The Longitudinal Relationship of Sexual Function and Androgen Status in Older Men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Apr;100(4):1350-8.
- Hirani V, Cumming RG, Blyth F, Naganathan V, Le Couteur DG, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ, Seibel MJ. Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between the active vitamin D metabolite (1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D) and haemoglobin levels in older Australian men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. Age. (Dordr). 2015 Feb; 37(1):9749.
- Hirani V, Blyth F, Naganathan V, Le Couteur DG, Seibel MJ, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ, Cumming RG. Sarcopenia is associated with incident disability, institutionalisation and mortality in community dwelling older Men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015 Jul 1;16(7):607-13.
- Vasikaran SD, Chubb SP, Ebeling PR, Jenkins N, Jones GR, Kotowicz MA, Morris HA, Schneider HG, Seibel MJ, Ward G. Harmonised Australian Reference Intervals for Serum PINP and CTX in Adults. Clin Biochem Rev. 35:237-42, 2014.
- King LK, Henneicke H, Seibel MJ, March L, Anandacoomarasmy A. Association of adipokines and joint biomarkers with cartilage-modifying effects of weight loss in obese subjects. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2015 Mar;23(3):397-404.
- Hirani V, Naganathan V, Blyth F, Le Couteur DG, Gnjidic D, Stanaway FF, Seibel MJ, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ, Cumming RG. Multiple, but not traditional risk factors predict mortality in older people: the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. Age 36: 9732. 2014.
- Hsu B, Cumming RG, Seibel MJ, Naganathan V, Blyth FM, Bleicher K, Dave A, Le Couteur DG, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ. Reproductive Hormones and Longitudinal Change in Bone Mineral Density and Incident Fracture Risk in Older Men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Bone Miner Res. 2015 Sep; 30 (9):1701-8.
- Hakami T, O'Brien TJ, Petty SJ, Sakellarides M, Christie J, Kantor S, Todaro M, Gorelik A, Seibel MJ, Yerra R, Wark JD. Monotherapy with Levetiracetam Versus Older AEDs: A Randomized Comparative Trial of Effects on Bone Health. Calcif Tissue Int. 2016 Feb 3. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26842957.
- Held FP, Blyth F, Gnjidic D, Hirani V, Naganathan V, Waite LM, Seibel MJ, Rollo J, Handelsman DJ, Cumming RG, Le Couteur DG. Association Rules Analysis of Comorbidity and Multimorbidity: The Concord Health and Aging in Men Project. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015 Oct 27. pii: glv181. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26508296
- Daly RM, Ducher G, Hill B, Telford RM, Eser P, Naughton G, Seibel MJ, Telford RD. Effects of a Specialist-Led, School Physical Education Program on Bone Mass, Structure, and Strength in Primary School Children: A 4-Year Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. J Bone Miner Res. 2015 Aug 10. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.2688. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26260216.
- Tran TS, Center JR, Seibel MJ, Eisman JA, Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Nguyen TV. Relationship between Serum Testosterone and Fracture Risk in Men: A Comparison of RIA and LC-MS/MS. Clin Chem. 2015 Sep;61(9):1182-90.
- Hsu B, Cumming RG, Waite LM, Blyth FM, Naganathan V, Le Couteur DG, Seibel MJ, Handelsman DJ. Longitudinal Relationships between Reproductive Hormones and Cognitive Decline in Older Men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Jun;100(6):2223-30
- Hirani V, Naganathan V, Blyth F, Le Couteur DG, Seibel MJ, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ, Hsu B, Cumming RG. Low Hemoglobin Concentrations Are Associated With Sarcopenia, Physical Performance, and Disability in Older Australian Men in Cross-sectional and Longitudinal Analysis: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hsu B, Cumming RG, Naganathan V, Blyth FM, Le Couteur DG, Hirani V, Waite LM, Seibel MJ, Handelsman DJ. Temporal Changes in Androgens and Estrogens are associated with All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality in Older Men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 101: 2201-10, 2016.
- Hsu B, Cumming RG, Hirani V, Blyth FM, Naganathan V, Le Couteur DG, Seibel MJ, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ. Temporal Trends in Androgen Status and Androgen Sensitive Outcomes in Older Men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 101(4):1836-46, 2016.
- Hsu B, Hirani V, Naganathan V, Blyth FM, Le Couteur DG, Seibel MJ, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ, Cumming RG. Sexual Function and Mortality in Older Men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2016 (in press).
- Tu J, Zhang Y, Kim S, Wiebe E, Spies CM, Buttgereit F, Cooper MS, Seibel MJ, Zhou H. Transgenic Disruption of Glucocorticoid Signaling in Osteoblasts Attenuates Joint Inflammation in Collagen Antibody-Induced Arthritis. Am J Pathol. 186:1293-301, 2016.
- Noguchi N, Blyth F, Waite L, Naganathan V, Cumming RG, Handelsman DJ, Seibel MJ, Le Couteur DG. Prevalence of the geriatric syndromes and frailty in older men living in the community: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. Australas J Ageing. 2016 Mar 11 (epub ahead of print)
- Noguchi M, Chan L, Cumming RG, Blyth FM, Handelsman DJ, Seibel MJ, Waite LM, Le Couteur DG, Naganathan V. Lower urinary tract symptoms and incident falls in community-dwelling older men: the Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project,' J Urol 2016 (in press).
- Hsu B, Seibel MJ, Cumming RG, Blyth FM, Naganathan V, Bleicher K, Le Couteur DG, Waite LM, Handelsman DJ. Progressive Temporal Change in Serum SHBG, but not in Serum Testosterone or Estradiol, is Associated with Bone Loss and Incident Fractures in Older Men: The Concord Health and Ageing in Men Project. J Bone Miner Res. 2016 (in press).
- Hofbauer LC, Lecka-Czernik B, Seibel MJ. Sweet and brittle - Diabetes mellitus and the skeleton. Bone. 2016 Jan;82:1 Epub 2015 Sep 9. PubMed PMID: 26363338.
- Horas K, Zheng Y, Zhou H, Seibel MJ. Animal models for breast cancer metastasis to bone: opportunities and limitations. Cancer Invest. 2015;33(9):459-68.
- Cooper MS, Seibel MJ, Zhou H. Glucocorticoids, bone and energy metabolism. Bone. 2016 Jan;82:64-8
- Sander KM, Seibel MJ. When more is perhaps not better: New findings on vitamin D supplementation and falls add weight to the conservative approach of the Institute of Medicine. Nat Rev Endocrinol 12(4):190-191, 2016
- Duque G, Lord S, Mak J, Ganda K, Close J, Ebeling P, Papaioannou A, Inderjeeth C. (2016). Treatment of Osteoporosis in Australian Residential Aged Care Facilities: Update on Consensus Recommendations for Fracture Prevention. The Journal of Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine
- Suryawanshi A, Middleton T, & Ganda K. (2015). An unusual presentation of X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy. Endocrinol Diabetes Metab Case Rep, 150098
- Ganda K, Seibel MJ. (2015). Osteoporosis (How to Treat). Australian Doctor. July 2015 pp 23-29
- Mitchell P, Ganda K, Seibel MJ. (2015). Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society Positon Paper on Secondary Fracture Prevention programs. Access via www.anzbms.org.au
- Glynis Ross, Henrik Falhammar, Roger Chen, Helen Barraclough, Ole Kleivenes and Ian Gallen The relationship between depression and diabetes in pregnancy: a systematic review. World Journal of Diabetes (in press).
- Chen RCY, Snars, J and Lambert T Psychotic disorders and diabetes: Going beyond screening- Time for integrated care Diabetes Management Journal
- Bishay RH and Chen RCY. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Graves' Disease in one patient - the extremes of thyroid dysfunction associated with interferon treatment' Case Reports in Endocrinology. Volume 2016, Article ID 6029415. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/6029415.
- Invited Speaker: Roger Chen. Faculty of Consulting Physicians of South Africa: 4th Annual Congress, Cape Town, May 2015. Psychotic Disorders and Diabetes: Relationship and Management
- Invited Speaker: Roger Chen. Australian Diabetes Educators Association. Branch Meeting, Newcastle, May 2015.
- Invited Speaker: Roger Chen. Tenth International Symposium on Healthy Aging, University of Hong Kong , March 2015
- Ross G, Barraclough H, Chen R, Falhammar H, Kleivenes O and Gallen I. Depression in Women with Diabetes During Pregnancy: A Systematic Review. Abstract presented at Endocrine Society Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
- Ross G, Barraclough H, Chen R, Falhammar H, Kleivenes O and Gallen I. Depression in Women with Diabetes During Pregnancy: A Systematic Review. Abstract Presented at the Eighth International Diabetes in Pregnancy Society Symposium, Berlin 2015.
- Bishay R & Chen RCY. Extremes of autoimmune thyroid dysfuncion associated with interferon treatment . Abstract presented at Endocrine Society Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
- Chen RCY, Sambevski S, Polonsky W, Belton A, Down S, Capehorn M, Gamerman V, Nagel, F, Lee J and Edelman S. Challenges Faced by Australian Doctors when Discussing the Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) Diagnosis with Patients: Insights from a Cross-national Study (IntroDiaTM). Abstract presented at Endocrine Society Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Professor Markus Seibel
Department/Unit: Department of Endocrinology
Telephone: (02) 9767 6747
Facsimile: (02) 9767 7472