The Concord Haematology Department strives to deliver world-class tertiary Haematology clinical care, supported by active clinical, translational and basic research. The Department has expanded to eight haematologists led by Head of Department A/Professor Ilona Cunningham. The Concord Clinical Research Unit (CRU) maintains a diverse portfolio of quality trials to provide access to emerging therapies and maintain clinical practice within an environment of evidence-based medicine. The CRU hosts a broad portfolio of trials in malignant and non-malignant haematology, with on average 35 actively recruiting trials. As such, it has the largest portfolio of haematology clinical trials in NSW.
The Concord Haematology Department is also involved in the HealthPathways Research and Evaluation Committee whose aim is to analyse the implementation and delivery of a web-based referral system to connect general practitioners with local specialists. Basic and translational research projects within Concord Haematology are expanding collaborative links with the Anzac Research Institute, University of Sydney and University of New South Wales.
- Dr Trotman continues her collaborations with LYSARC (The Lymphoma Academic Research Organisation - France) and FIL (Italian Lymphoma Group) to set create international guidelines for PET scanning in follicular lymphoma.
- Dr Trotman continues her roles on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Australasian Leukaemia and Lymphoma Group, in the High Grade and Low Grade Lymphoma Disease Groups, and as Chair of the Low Grade Lymphoma Group.
- Dr Chen has developed and continues to strengthen international collaborations with:
1. University of Cambridge Cell Function Team, Department of Haematology, 'Procoagulant platelets in acute coronary syndrome and ischaemic stroke.' Genomics of platelet function in health and disease.
2. Singapore General Hospital Professor Lai Heng Lee, Singapore General Hospital, 'Procoagulant platelets as predictors of thrombosis in myeloproliferative disease.' Ongoing exchange of clinical, basic and translational research in myeloproliferative disorders. Dept. Biochemistry, Maastricht University, The Netherlands Prof. dr. J.W.M. Heemskerk, Chair of Cell Biochemistry of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 'Biology of procoagulant platelets in ex vivo flow systems'.
3. Australian Red Cross Blood Service Dr Denese Marks and Dr Lacey Johnston, Development and Storage Research Group.
- Dr Chen has filed an international patent filed for a novel diagnostic assay 'Selective targeting of procoagulant platelets' (Application No. PCT/AU2015/000638).
- Royal College of Pathologists Australasia pathology research scholarship awarded to medical student of Dr Chen (Samuel Wang) 2016.
- Australasian Clinical Trials Alliance Congress. ClinTrial Refer - Dr Trotman awarded Best moderated Poster, Sydney Australia Nov 2015.
- Dr Trotman was a 2015 finalist in the NSW Premiers Award for Public Service, Customer Focussed Delivery, ClinTrial Refer.
Haematology Research Staff
- A/Prof Ilona Cunningham - Head of Department
- A/Prof Judith Trotman - Clinical Research Unit Director
- Dr Alessandra Bianchi - Haematologist
- Dr Vivien Chen - Haematologist
- Dr Jane Estell - Haematologist
- Dr Robin Gasiorowski - Haematologist
- Dr Emma Verner - Haematologist
- Dr Nicole Wong Doo - Haematologist
Clinical Research Unit (CRU)
Higher Degree Students:
- Mr Admir Huseincehajic, BSc - CRU Manager
- Ms Shashi Prasad - Clinical Research Regulatory Affairs and Data Manager
- Dr Yiu Lam Kwan - Manager, Clinical Research Strategy
- Ms Jennifer DeVos
- Ms Sylvia Chan
- Mr Kumar Sarandar
- Ms Jung-Ah Lee
- Mr Salman Momin
- Clinical Trial Research Fellow (from 2017)
- Dr Minh Hua (2011- 2015). Award April 2015.
- Dr Leonardo Pasalic (2012-current).
Publications and Presentations
- Hua, V.M., and Chen, V.M. (2015). Procoagulant platelets and the pathways leading to cell death. Seminars in thrombosis and hemostasis 41, 405-412.
- Exposure to High Dose Melphalan correlates with Overall Survival in patients undergoing autologous transplantation for myeloma. Trotman J, Nath, C, Nivison-Smith I, Gurney H, Zeng L, Kwan YL, Presgrave P, Tiley C, Joshua D, Kerridge I, Earl JW, Shaw, PJ. British Journal of Pharmacology, Feb 2016.
- Deliverability and efficacy of R-CHOP chemotherapy in very elderly patients with DLBCL: an Australian retrospective analysis, A. Millar, M. Ellis, P. Mollee,T. Cochrane, J. Fletcher, A. Caudron, B. Webster, J. Trotman. Internal Medicine Journal 2015, Nov, 1147-1153.
- David T Yeung, Michael P Osborn, Deborah L White, Susan Branford, Jodi A Braley, Alan Herschtal, Michael Kornhauser, Samar Issa, Devendra Keshaorao Hiwase, Mark Hertzberg, Anthony Schwarer, Robin Filshie, Christopher K Arthur, Yiu Lam Kwan, Judith Trotman, Cecily J Forsyth, John Taper, David Morrall Ross, Jennifer Beresford, Constantine Si Lun Tam, Anthony K Mills, Andrew P Grigg, and Timothy Hughes. TIDEL-II: Frontline use of Imatinib in CML with Early Switch to Nilotinib for Failure to Achieve Time-Dependent Molecular Targets. Blood, 2015;125,(6) 915-923.
- Neil R Moran, Bradley Webster, Kenneth M Lee, Judith Trotman, Yiu-Lam Kwan, John Napoli, and Rupert W Leong. EBV Positive Mucocutaneous Ulcer associated Hodgkin's Lymphoma in IBD: Report of a case and review of the literature. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 2015 May 21; 21(19): 6072-6076.
- Stefano Luminari, Judith Trotman. Positron emission tomography-computed tomography in follicular lymphoma: 'one fit for all'? Leukemia & Lymphoma, May 2015, Vol. 56(5): 1191-1192
- Wong Doo N, Trotman J. How To Treat Lymphoma. Australian Doctor, 1 May 2015: 25-32.
- Anne Segolene Cottereau, Annibale Versari, Jehan Dupuis, Loic Chartier, Ilaria Grassi, Stephanie Becker5, Corinne Haioun3, Stefano Luminari6, Michel A. Meignan, Judith Trotman. Baseline Metabolic Tumor Volume predicts outcome in patients with high tumor burden follicular lymphoma SNMMIA6682016, Society of Nuclear Medcinie and Molecular Imgaing, Annual Meeting, San Diego, June 2016.
- Hang Quach, Simon Harrison, Liam Fernyhough, Ross Henderson, Gillian Corbett, Bart Baker, Peter Browett, Hilary Blacklock, Cecily Forsyth, Craig Underhill, Paul Cannell, Judith Trotman, Annette Neylon, Emma Link, Linda Cowan, Jack S. Li, Meletios A. Dimopoulos, H. Miles Prince. Lower Dose Lenalidomide-Dexamethasone is Less Toxic and does not Compromise Efficacy for Patients with Relapsed/Refractory multiple myeloma who are aged ≥60 years and/or with renal impairment and/or with thrombocytopenia: Final analysis of the RevLite study. International myeloma workshop 2015.
- Constantine Tam, Andrew P Grigg, Stephen Opat, Gavin Cull, Judith Trotman, Matthew Ku, Michael Gilbertson, Mary Ann Anderson, John F Seymour, David S Ritchie , Bradley Auguston, Emma Verner, Carmen Dicorleto, Belinda Dimovski , Eric Hedrick, Jianxin Yang, Lai Wang, Lusong Luo, Ling Xue, and Andrew W Roberts, The BTK inhibitor BGB3111 is safe and tolerable and highly active in patients with relapsed/refractory B cell malignancies: initial report of a phase 1 first in Human Trial. Oral Abstract ASH 2015.
- Meletios A. Dimopoulos, MD, Judith Trotman, Alessandra Tedesch, Jeffrey V. Matous, David MacDonald, Constantine Tam, Olivier Tournilhac, Shuo Ma, Albert Oriol-Roca Figueras, Leonard T. Heffner, Chaim Shustik, Ramón García-Sanz, Robert Cornell, Carlos Fernandez de Larrea, Jorge Castillo, Miquel Granell, Marie-Christine Kyrtsonis, Veronique Leblond, MD, Argiris Symeonidis, Priyanka Singh, Jianling Li, Thorsten Graef, Elizabeth Bilotti, Steven Treon, MD, Christian Buske. Ibrutinib Therapy in Rituximab-Refractory Patients with Waldenström's Macroglobulinemia: Results from an International, Multicenter, Open-Label Phase 3 Substudy ASH 2015.
- Michel Meignan, Annibale Versari, Anne Ségolène Cottereau, Loïc Chartier, Jehan Dupuis, Sami Boussetta, Ilaria.Grassi , Olivier Casasnovas, Corinne Haioun, Hervé Tilly, Massimo Federico, Gilles Salles, Stefano Luminari, Judith Trotman. Baseline Metabolic Tumour Volume Predicts Outcome in High Tumor Burden Follicular Lymphoma. a Pooled Analysis of Three Multicenter Studies. ASH 2015.
- R Ristuccia, X Badoux, M Gibson, A Huseincehajic, J Trotman, Haematology. Increasing cross-referral and recruitment to clinical trials: a new APProach. Oral Abstract ASH 2015.
- Mark Hertzberg, John Taper, Judith Trotman, Devinder Gill, Shir-Jing Ho, Gavin Cull, Keith Fay, Geoff Chong, Andrew Grigg, Ian Lewis, Sam Milliken, William Renwick, Uwe Hahn, Robin Filshie, Anne-Marie Watson, George Kannourakis, Max Wolf, Pauline Warburton, Stephen Larsen, Maher Gandhi, John F Seymour, Rodney Hicks. Early Treatment Intensification with R-ICE Chemotherapy Followed by Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Using Zevalin-BEAM for Patients with Poor Prognosis Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma as Identified by Interim PET/CT Scan Performed After Four Cycles of R-CHOP-14 Chemotherapy: A multicentre phase II study of the Australasian Leukaemia Lymphoma Study Group (ALLG). Oral Abstract 2015.
- C Hague, P. Johnson, M. Federico, A. Kirkwood, A. Fossa, M. O'Doherty, T. Roberts, L. Stevens, P. Smith, G. Anghel, J. Trotman, L. Berkahn, F. D'Amore, G. Enblad, S. Luminari, S. Barrington, J. Radford. Bleomycin pulmonary toxicity in the international RATHL trial: the effects of 12 vs 4 doses of bleomycin in PET2 negative patients. ICML June 2015.
- J. Trotman, P. Mahairas, J. Ryan, A. Huseincehajic, M. Gambrill, M. Daly, S. Bryne, M. Lacey, S. Nair, C. Rine, K. McCardie, M. Forbes, R. Meti, P. Plenge, S. Clark, A. Bayley, X. Badoux, R. Ristuccia. State-wide collaboration in developing a smart-phone App increasing knowledge of and patient cross-referral to clinical trials. Haematological Oncology, 2015. ICML.
- Meletios A. Dimopoulos, Xavier Leleu, Jeffrey V. Matous, David MacDonald, Judith Trotman, Albert Oriol, Chaim Shustik, Alessandra Tedeschi, Ramon Garcia-Sanz, Leonard T. Heffner, Shuo Ma, Beatrice Mahe, Constantine Tam, Olivier Tournilhac, Jianling Li, Priyanka Singh, Elizabeth Bilotti, Thorsten Graef, Steven P. Treon, Christian Buske. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 study of rituximab with or without ibrutinib for Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia (PCYC-1127-CA). American Society of Clinical Oncology - 51st Annual Meeting 2015.
- C Hague, P. Johnson, M. Federico, A. Kirkwood, A. Fossa, M. O'Doherty, T. Roberts, L. Stevens, P. Smith, G Sidra, J. Trotman, L. Berkahn, F. D'Amore, D. Molin, S. Luminari, S. Barrington, J. Radford. Pulmonary function and grade 3/4 clinical events in PET negative patients taking part in the international RATHL trial (CRUK/07/033): a comparison of 12 vs 4 doses of bleomycin, Haematological Oncology, 2015. ICML.
- P. W. Johnson, M. Federico, A. Fossa, M. O'Doherty, T. Roberts, L. Stevens , P. Smith, A. A. Kirkwood, G. Sidra, J. Trotman, L. Berkhan, F. A. d'Amore, G. Enblad, S. Luminari, J. A. Radford, S. Barrington. Response-adapted therapy based on interim FDG-PET scans in advanced Hodgkin Lymphoma: first analysis of the safety of de-escalation and efficacy of escalation in the international RATHL study (CRUK/07/033), Haematological Oncology, 2015. ICML.
- H Quach, S Harrison, L Fernyhough, C Forsyth, P Cannell, R Henderson, H Blacklock, B Baker, P Browett, J Trotman, G Corbett, A Neylon, E Link, J Shiansong, H M Prince. Lower Dose Lenalidomide-Dexamethasone is Less Toxic and does not Compromise Efficacy for Patients with Relapsed/Refractory multiple myeloma who are aged ≥60 years and/or with renal impairment and/or with thrombocytopenia. IMWG 2015.
- Vardy J, Tan C, Turner J, Butler S, Deguchi C, Khatri S, Cunningham I, Wignall L, Malalasekera A, Dhillon H. What are cancer survivors attending the Sydney Survivorship Clinic like and what do they need? Survivorship Conference, Adelaide, 2015.
- Oberoi DV, White V, Jefford M, Seymour JF, Prince HM, Harrison SJ, Wong Doo N, Millar J, Winship I, Bolton D, Davis ID, Giles GG, on behalf of the IMPROVE project. Does the prevalence of anxiety and depression for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma cancer survivors change over time?: findings from a prospective study. Abstract, Clinical Oncology Society of Australia, 2015.
- Minh Hua, Latasha Abeynaike, Philip Hogg, Vivien Chen. A novel marker for imaging procoagulant platelets in vitro and in vivo'. Gordon Conference of Cell Biology for Megakaryocytes and Platelets, Italy, 2015.
- Minh Hua, Latasha Abeynaike, Philip Hogg, Vivien Chen. PROCOAGULANT PLATELETS ARE UNDERGOING CYCLOPHILIN D MEDIATED NECROSIS WITH DIFFERENTIAL INVOLVEMENT IN OCCLUSIVE VERSUS NON-OCCLUSIVE MODELS OF THROMBOSIS. International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Toronto 2015.
- Leonardo Pasalic, Heather Campbell, Edwina Wing Lun, Philip Hogg, David Connor, David Muller, Vivien Chen. A novel assay demonstrates procoagulant platelets are increased in patient undergoing coronary angiography with differential effects by anti-platelet and anti-coagulant therapy. European Haematology Association Annual Meeting, Vienna, 2015.
- Leonardo Pasalic, Latasha Abeynaike, Elias Glaros, Shane Thomas, Philip Hogg, Vivien Chen. Neutrophils contribute to the generation of procoagulant platelets by a myeloperoxidase independent mechanism. International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Toronto 2015.
- Leonardo Pasalic, Heather Campbell, Philip Hogg, Vivien Chen. CHARACTERISATION OF PROCOAGULANT PLATELETS IN WHOLE BLOOD USING A NOVEL CELL DEATH MARKER. International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Toronto 2015.
- Philip Hogg, Diego Butera, Robert Andrews, Elizabeth Gardiner, Amanda Davis, Deirdre Murphy, Ross Baker, Jim Thom, Vivien Chen, Brenda Luken, Jason Wong, Camilo Aponte-Santamaría, Agnieszka Bronowska, Carsten Baldauf, Frauke Graeter. THE VON WILLEBRAND FACTOR A2 DOMAIN DISULFIDE BOND EXISTS IN OXIDIZED AND REDUCED STATES IN THE CIRCULATION AND REGULATES FUNCTION. International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Toronto 2015
- Vivien MY Chen. A novel marker for procoagulant platelets in vitro and in vivo: moving towards the clinic. Chinese Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Toronto, 2015.
||Dr Vivien Chen
||Annual Health Research Infrastructure award
|| $ 10,000
|NSW Cancer Institute
||Dr Vivien Chen, Prof Derek Hart
||Cancer Institute equipment grant: Image Intensified Fluorescent Intravital Microscope
|| $ 412,000
|University of NSW
||Dr Vivien Chen, Prof Richard Lock
||15/REG/1-09 High-throughput firve-laser flow cytometer for cancer research and cancer drug discovery
|| $ 339,000
||A/Prof Judith Trotman
||11/CTS 2-05 Funding for six clinical trial co-ordinators across SLHD
Contact details for department
Head of Department: A/Professor Ilona Cunningham
Department/Unit: Haematology Department
Ground East, Concord Hospital, Hospital Road
Telephone: 02 9767 6648
Facsimile: 02 9767 7650