RPA - CPC Clinic
The Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition, Exercise & Eating Disorders is committed to reducing the individual and societal impact of obesity, eating disorders and lifestyle-related chronic disease such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, cancer, mental illness and osteoarthritis.
Led by key researchers across the University, the Boden Institute unites expertise in basic, clinical, public health and health policy research in the areas of obesity, eating disorders, nutrition, physical activity and metabolic health; clinical intervention and practice; public health programs and policy formulation and implementation. The Boden Institute takes a broad approach to combating and preventing obesity and lifestyle-related chronic disease. Its researchers have expertise across the whole human life-cycle from pre-gestation to old age, and collectively have the broadest approach and expertise for combating and preventing eating disorders, obesity and lifestyle-related chronic disease assembled in Australia - from specialised clinics to public health systems. Individual staff at the Institute have international reputations and experience in a diverse range of fields including:
- Epidemiology and disease prevention research
- Behaviour change and health promotion
- Clinical trials on chronic disease prevention and management
- Insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome
- Glycemic index and influence of dietary factors on obesity and health
- Integration of exercise physiology and nutrition to improve health across the lifespan
- Child and adolescent obesity
- Better management of obesity and translational research ensuring best practice and outcome
- Development and management of eating disorders
- Body composition and health
- Differential effect of weight on health in different ethnic groups
- Neurobiology of energy balance and nervous system control of metabolism
- Policy work to ensure health outcome sustainability
- 8 new clinical trials commenced in 2015 at the Boden Institute
- 5 research grants awarded in 2015 to researchers at the Boden Institute
- 55 publications in peer-reviewed journals
- 6 non-research grants awarded in 2015 to researchers at the Boden Institute
- 15 academic research seminars presented in the Boden Institute 2015 Seminar Series
Professor Ian Caterson
- 2015 Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Foundation Medal for Research for 'Excellence and Outstanding Achievements in Research'.
- 2015 President-elect World Obesity Federation.
Professor Stephen Colagiuri
- 2015 Australian Diabetes Society Kellion Award 'for an Australian who has made an outstanding contribution in diabetes research, clinical or service areas in Australia'.
Higher Degree Students:
- Professor Ian Caterson - Director of the Boden Institute, Clinical Academic Director of the CPC-RPA Clinic, Boden Professor of Human Nutrition
- Professor Stephen Colagiuri - Professor of Metabolic Health, Solutions Domain Leader for the Charles Perkins Centre
- Professor Timothy Gill - Professor of Public Health Nutrition, Boden Institute Research Programs Director, Principal Research Fellow for the Prevention Research Collaboration
- Professor Leonard Storlien - Honorary Professor
- Adjunct Professor Ian Darnton-Hill
- Associate Professor Amanda Salis - NHMRC Senior Research Fellow, Boden Institute Program Co-Leader (Translational Research)
- Associate Professor Michael Skilton - Heart Foundation Future Leader Fellow, Boden Institute Program Co-Leader (Translational Research)
- Dr Tania Markovic - Clinical Associate Professor for the Boden Institute, Director of Metabolism and Obesity Services at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- Dr Sarah Maguire - Senior Lecturer for the Boden Institute, NSW Director of Eating and Dieting Disorders for NSW Health
- Dr Si Win Tin - Research Fellow
- Dr Crystal Lee - Research Fellow
- Dr Radhika Seimon - NHMRC Early Career Fellow
- Dr Sinead Boylan - Research Fellow: Needs Assessment Officer CO-OPS Collaboration
- Dr Nicholas Fuller - Research Fellow: Clinical Trials Development and Assessment
- Dr Yan Lam - Research Fellow
- Dr Claire Madigan - Clinical Trials Manager/ Research Fellow
- Dr Melinda Phang - Research Fellow and SO3 Trial Manager
- Dr Namson Lau - Medical Officer for the Boden Institute, Endocrinologist and Consultant Physician
- Dr Kathryn Williams - Medical Officer for the Boden Institute, Endocrinologist for the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Medical Centre
- Dr Shelley Kay - Senior Project Officer
- Dr Jessica Swinbourne - Clinical Psychologist
- Dr Clare Manns - Clinical Psychologist
- Mrs Melissa Gwizd - Research Officer
- Mr James Gerofi - Research Officer
- Ms Mackenzie Fong - Dietitian
- Ms Alice Gibson - Research Officer
- Mrs Michele Whittle - Research Officer
- Ms Claudia Harper - Dietitian/Research Assistant (TEMPO)
- Ms Kirstine Bell - Dietitian/Research Assistant
- Ms Shelley Keating - Research Assistant
- Ms Jessica Honeywood - Dietitian/Research Assistant
- Ms Stephanie Partridge - Research Assistant
- Ms Christiane Melki - Clinical Research Assistant
- Ms Emma Sainsbury - Research Officer
- Ms Miaobing Zheng - Research Officer
- Ms Sally McClintock - Research Assistant
- Ms Lisa Leung - Research Assistant
- Ms Hasthi Udyangani Wanamali Dissanayake
- Mr Hamish Alexander Fernando
- Ms Mackenzie Fong
- Ms Alice Gibson
- Ms Rebecca Harris
- Mr Yang Kong
- Mr Felipe da Luz
- Ms Rowena Louise McMullan
- Mrs Talia Palacios
- Dr Arianne Sweeting
- Dr Si Win Tin
- Mr Philip Vita
- Mr Ye Tan (Tommy) Cai
- Mrs Arpita Das
- Ms Jia Yi (Anna) Ne
- Ms Andrea Pattinson
- Mrs Zahrasadat Rafiei
- Ms Jessica Isabella Zibellini
Publications and Presentations
- AJ Lewandowski, M Bertagnolli, H Blackmore, F Boubred, F Crispi, C Foster, A Fraser, D Giussani, C McEniery, N Modi, A Nuyt, S Ozanne, M Skilton, I Wilkinson, P Leeson. Pregnancy Complications and Offspring Cardiovascular Health. Proceedings of a symposium held on 8th September 2014 at Wolfson College, University of Oxford.
- Bell KJ, Bao J, Petocz P, Colagiuri S, Brand-Miller JC.Validation of the food insulin index in lean, young, healthy individuals, and type 2 diabetes in the context of mixed meals: an acute randomized crossover trial. AJCN. September 9, 2015 as doi: 10.3945/ajcn.115.112904.
- Brownlow, R. S., Maguire, S., O'Dell, A., Dias-da-Costa, C., Touyz, S., & Russell, J. (2015). Evaluation of an online training program in eating disorders for health professionals in Australia. Journal of eating disorders, 3(1), 1-6.
- C Arnott, MR Skilton, S Ruohonen, M Juonala, JSA Viikari, M Kähönen, T Lehtimäki, T Laitinen, DS Celermajer, OT Raitakari. Subtle increases in heart size persist into adulthood in growth restricted babies: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Open Heart 2015; 2: e000265.
- Chan SP, Colagiuri S. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy and hypoglycemic safety of gliclazide versus other insulinotropic agents. [Article in Press]; Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015 110 (1) (pp 75-81), 2015. PMID: 26361859
- Chau JY, Sukala W, Fedel K, Do A, Engelen L, Kingham M, Sainsbury A, Bauman AE. More standing and just as productive: Effects of a sit-stand desk intervention on call center workers' sitting, standing, and productivity at work in the Opt To Stand pilot study. Preventive Medicine Reports, 3:68-74, 2015
- Colagiuri S. Editorial. Health potential of a low glycaemic index diet. BMJ 2015;350:h2267 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2267 (Published 07 May 2015).
- Colagiuri S. Time to move to a glycated haemoglobin-based algorithm for diabetes screening and diagnosis? Med J Aust. 2015 Jul 6;203(1):7-9. PMID: 26126553.
- Doig GS, Simpson F, Heighes PT, Bellomo R, Chesher D, Caterson ID, Reade MC and Harrigan PWJ for the Refeeding Syndrome Trial Investigators Group. Restricted vs. continued normal caloric intake during the management of refeeding syndrome in critically ill adults: a randomised, multicentre, and single-blind controlled trial. Lancet Respiratory Medicine 3: 943-952, 2015.
- Dunbar JA, Lindstrom J, Laatikainen T, Colagiuri S, Janus E, Peltonen M, Vartiainen E. Time to question the NHS diabetes prevention programme. BMJ 2015;351:h4717 Editorial.
- Fernando HA, Zibellini J, Hsu MSH, Seimon RV, Nguyen AD, Sainsbury A. The neuropeptide Y-ergic system: potential therapeutic target against bone loss with obesity treatments. Expert Review of Endocrinology and Metabolism 2015; 10(2) 177 - 191.
- Fuller N, Salis A, Caterson ID and Markovic T. Egg Consumption and Human Cardio-metabolic Health in People With and Without Diabetes. Nutrients 7: 7399-7420; doi:10.3390/nu7095344, 2015.
- Fuller NR, Caterson ID, Sainsbury A, Denyer G, Fong M, Gerofi J, Baqleh K, Williams KH, Lau NS, Markovic TP. The effect of a high-egg diet on cardiovascular risk factors in people with type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes and Egg (DIABEGG) study-a 3-mo randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, doi: 10.3945/ajcn.114.096925 101(4): 705-713, 2015
- Fuller NR, Fong M, Gerofi J, Leung L, Leung C, Denyer G and Caterson ID. A randomised controlled trial to determine the efficacy of a high carbohydrate and high protein ready-to-eat food product for weight loss. Clinical Obesity, in press 11th December, 2015.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Lee CMY, Ayre J, Franklin J, Markovic TP, Caterson ID, Sainsbury A: Do ketogenic diets really suppress appetite? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Obesity Reviews, 16(1): 64-76, 2015
- JA Harmer, AC Keech, A Veillard, MR Skilton, TH Marwick, GF Watts, IT Meredith, DS Celermajer, for the FIELD Vascular Study Investigators. Fenofibrate effects on arterial endothelial function in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a FIELD substudy. Atherosclerosis 2015; 242: 295-302.
- K McCloskey, P Vuillermin, J Carlin, MR Skilton, OT Raitakari, K Jachno, M Cheung, D Burgner, A Ponsonby. Assessment of early life markers of atherosclerosis using aortic intima-media thickness; how should we optimally adjust for infant size? Journal for Vascular Ultrasound 2015; 39: 119-126.
- Kaldor J, Magnusson R, Colagiuri S. Government action on diabetes prevention: time to try something new. Med J Aust. 2015 - mja14.01611.R1
- Keating SE, Hackett DA, Parker HM, O'Connor HT, Gerofi JA, Sainsbury A, Baker MK, Chuter VH, Caterson ID, George J, Johnson NA. Effect of aerobic exercise training dose on liver fat and visceral adiposity. Journal of Heptaology, 63(1): 174-182, 2015
- Kim KK, Yeong L-L, Caterson ID and Harris MF. Analysis of factors influencing general practitioners' decision to refer obese patients in Australia: a qualitative study. BMC Family Practice, 16:45 , DOI: 10.1186/s12875-015-0262-5, 2015.
- Kim SG, Ko KD, Hwang IC, Kay S, Caterson I and Kim KK. Relationship between indices of obesity obtained by anthropometry and dual X-ray absorptiometry: The Fourth and Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Survey (KNHANES IV and V, 2008-2011). Obesity Research and Clinical Practice 9: 487-498, 2015.
- Lam YY, Ha CWY, Hoffman JMA, Oscarsson J, Dinudom A, Mather TJ, Cook DI, Hunt NH, Caterson ID, Holmes AJ and Storlien LH. Effects of dietary fat profile on gut permeability and microbiota and their relationships with metabolic changes in mice. Obesity, Jun 5. doi: 10.1002/oby.21122, 2015.
- Lee CMY, Colagiuri S. Population approaches for detecting glucose disorders. Curr Diabetes Rev 2016; 12: 42-50.
- M Juonala, M Cheung, MA Sabin, D Burgner, MR Skilton, M Kähönen, N Hutri-Kähönen, T Lehtimäki, A Jula, T Laitinen, E Jokinen, L Taittonen, P Tossavainen, JSA Viikari, CG Magnussen, OT Raitakari. The effect of birth weight on life-course blood pressure levels among children born premature. The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. J Hypertens 2015; 33: 1542-1548.
- Madigan CD, Daley AJ, Lewis AL, Aveyard P, Jolly K (2015) A systematic review and meta-analysis of self-weighing for weight loss. International Journal of Behaviour Nutrition and Physical Activity.
- Madigan CD, El-Alfy D, Daley AJ. (2015) An evaluation of the maternal lighten up weight management service. Womens Health Journal.
- Martin DJ, Lee CMY, Rigas G, Tam CS. Predictors of weight loss two years after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Asian J Endosc Surg 2015; 8(3): 328-32.
- McIntyre HD, Colagiuri S, Roglic G, Hod M. Diagnosis of GDM: a suggested consensus. Clin Obst Gynae. 2015 29:2(194-205)
- Montanya E, Colagiuri S, Ley N, HbA1c improvement evaluated by baseline BMI: a meta-analysis of the liraglutide phase 3 clinical trial programme. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2015 Dec 11. doi: 10.1111/dom.12617. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26662611
- MR Skilton, K Pahkala, JSA Viikari, T Rönnemaa, O Simell, A Jula, H Niinikoski, DS Celermajer, OT Raitakari; STRIP Study Group. The association of dietary alpha-linolenic acid with blood pressure and subclinical atherosclerosis in people born small for gestational age: The STRIP study. J Pediatr 2015; 166: 1252-1257.
- MR Skilton, S Nakhla, JG Ayer, JA Harmer, BG Toelle, SR Leeder, G Jones, GB Marks, DS Celermajer; for the Childhood Asthma Prevention Study group. Telomere Length in Early Childhood: Early Life Risk Factors and Association with Carotid Intima-media Thickness in Later Childhood. Eur J Prev Cardiol (published online 24/09/15).
- MR Skilton. Fetal growth and the ethnic origins of type 2 diabetes (commentary). Diabetologia 2015; 58: 422-424.
- N Amarasena, K Kapellas K, A Brown, MR Skilton, L Maple-Brown, PM Bartold, K O'Dea, DS Celermajer, G Slade, LM Jamieson. Psychological distress and self-rated oral health among a convenience sample of Indigenous Australians. J Pub Health Dentistry 2015; 75: 126-133.
- N Amarasena, K Kapellas, MR Skilton, LJ Maple-Brown, A Brown, K O'Dea, DS Celermajer, LM Jamieson. Associations with dental caries experience among a convenience sample of Aboriginal Australian adults. Australian Dental Journal 2015; 60: 471-478.
- Nguyen AD, Lee NJ, Wee NKY, Zhang L, Enriquez RF, Khor EC, Nie T, Wu D, Sainsbury A*, Baldock PA*, Herzog H*. Uncoupling protein-1 is protective of bone mass under mild cold stress conditions. Bone, doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2015.05.037. [Epub ahead of print], 2015 (* Equal contribution)
- Palavras MA, Hay P, Touyz S, Sainsbury A, da Luz FQ, Swinbourne J, Estella NM, Claudino A. Comparing cognitive behavioural therapy for eating disorders integrated with behavioural weight loss therapy to cognitive behavioural therapy-enhanced alone in overweight or obese people with bulimia nervosa or binge eating disorder: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials, 16: 578, 2015
- Parker HM, O'Connor HT, Keating SE, Cohn JS, Garg ML, Caterson ID, George J and Johnson NA. Efficacy of the Omega-3 Index in predicting non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in overweight and obese adults: a pilot study. British Journal of Nutrition Jul 23: 1-8 (epub), 2015.
- Peiris D, Usherwood T, Panaretto K, Harris M, Hunt J, Redfern J, Zwar N, Colagiuri S, Hayman N, Lo S, Patel B, Lyford M, MacMahon S, Neal B, Sullivan D, Cass A, Jackson R, Patel A. Effect of a Computer-Guided, Quality Improvement Program for Cardiovascular Disease Risk Management in Primary Health Care: The Treatment of Cardiovascular Risk Using Electronic Decision Support Cluster-Randomized Trial. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2015 Jan;8(1):87-95
- Purtell L, Viardot A, Sze L, Loughnan G, Steinbeck K, Sainsbury A, Herzog H, Smith A, Campbell LV. Postprandial Metabolism in Adults with Prader-Willi Syndrome. Obesity 23(6): 1159-1165, 2015
- S O'Meagher, M Seneviratne, MR Skilton, PA Munoz, PJ Robinson, N Malitz, DJ Tanous, DS Celermajer, R Puranik. Right ventricular mass is associated with exercise capacity in adults with repaired tetralogy of Fallot. Pediatr Cardiol 2015; 36:1225-1231.
- Sainsbury A*, Evans IR*, Wood RE, Seimon RV, King NA, Hills AP, Byrne NM. Effect of a four-week weight maintenance diet on circulating hormone levels - implications for clinical weight loss trials. Clinical Obesity, doi: 10.1111/cob.12086, 5(2): 79-86, 2015 (* Equal contribution)
- Seimon R, Espinoza D, Finer N, James WPT, Legler UF, Coutinho W, Sharma AM, Van Gaal L, Maggioni AP, Sweeting A, Torp-Pedersen C, Gebski V and Caterson ID. Changes in body weight and pulse: Events in overweight and obese subjects with cardiovascular disease. International Journal of Obesity 35: 849-857, 2015.
- Seimon RV, Espinoza D, Finer N, James WPT, Legler U, Coutinho W, Sharma A, Gaal LV, Maggioni AP, Sweeting A, Torp-Pedersen C, Gebski V, Caterson I. Changes in Body Weight and Pulse: Outcome Events in Overweight and Obese Subjects with Cardiovascular Disease in the SCOUT trial. Inter J Obesity 2015; 1 - 9.
- Seimon RV, Røkenes JA, Zibellini J, Zhu B, Gibson AA, Hill AP, Wood RE, King NA, Bryne NM, Sainsbury A. Do intermittent diets provide physiological benefits over continuous diets for weight loss? A systematic review of clinical trials. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2015; 418(2) 153 - 172.
- SM Hussain, M Kähönen, OT Raitakari, MR Skilton, N Witt, N Chaturvedi, N Hutri-Kähönen, T Lehtimäki, H Vaahtoranta-Lehtonen, M Jounala, S Witetunge, AD Hughes, SAM Thom, A Metha, RJ Tapp. Impact of Fetal Growth and Preterm Birth on the Retinal Microvasculature in Mid Adulthood: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns study. Microcirculation 2015; 22: 285-293.
- Touyz, S., Le Grange, D., Lacey, H., Hay, P., Smith, R., Maguire, S., ... & Crosby, R. (2015). Treating Severe and Enduring Anorexia Nervosa: a Randomized Control Trial. European Psychiatry, 30, 357.
- Treasure, J., Stein, D., & Maguire, S. (2015). Has the time come for a staging model to map the course of eating disorders from high risk to severe enduring illness? An examination of the evidence. Early intervention in psychiatry, 9(3), 173-184.
- Tsai VWW, Macia L, Feinle-Bisset C, Manadhar R, Astrup A, Raben AB, Lorenzen JK, Schmidt PT, Wiklund FE, Gronberg H, Pedersen NL, Campbell L, Kriketos A, Xu A, Pengcheng Z, Jia W, Jørgensen SB, Lee-Ng M, Zhang HP, Marquis CP, Husaini Y, Beglinger C, Lin S, Herzog H, Brown DA*, Sainsbury A*, Breit SN*. Serum levels of human MIC-1/GDF15 vary in a diurnal pattern, do not display a profile suggestive of a satiety factor and are related to BMI. PLoS ONE, 10(7): e0133362, 2015 (* Equal contribution)
- Vita P, Cardona-Morrell M, Bauman A, Fiatarone Singh M, Moore M, Pennock R, Snow J, Williams M, Jackson L, Milat A, Colagiuri S. Type 2 diabetes prevention in the community: 12-Month outcomes from the Sydney Diabetes Prevention Program. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016 Feb;112:13-9. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2015.11.010. Epub 2015 Nov 29. PMID: 26724186.
- Walker CG, Solis-Trapali I, Holzapfel C, Ambrosini GL, Fuller NR, Loos RJF, Hauner H, Caterson ID and Jebb SA. Modelling the interplay between lifestyle factors and genetic predisposition on markers of type 2 diabetes mellitus risk. PLoS ONE 10(7):e0131681, doi:10:10.1371/journal.pone.0131681, 2015.
- Wilson A, Atkinson JA, Morrice E, O'Donnell E, Lee C, Colagiuri S. A rapid review of evidence. Prevention of type 2 diabetes and the implementation of large-scale prevention programs. The Australian Prevention Partnership Centre and the Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition, Exercise & Eating Disorders, 2015. Report prepared for the Commonwealth Department of Health.
- Win Tin ST, Gadabu E, Iro G, Tasserei J, Colagiuri R. Counting the costs of diabetes in the Solomon Islands and Nauru. PLOS ONE 2015; 10(12): e0145603
- Win Tin ST, Lee CMY, Colagiuri R. A profile of diabetes in Pacific Island countries and territories. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2015; 107:233-246.
- *Wyld ML, *Lee CM, Zhuo X, White S, Shaw J, Morton RL, Colagiuri S, Chadban SJ. The Cost to Government and Society of Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 1-5, a National Cohort Study. Intern Med J. 2015 May 6. doi: 10.1111/imj.12797. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25944415. *Equal first author
- Zibellini J, Seimon RV, Lee CMY, Gibson AA, Hsu MSH, Shapses SA, Nguyen TV, Sainsbury A. Does diet-induced weight loss lead to bone loss in overweight or obese adults? A systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 30(12): 2168-2178, 2015
- Gill T (Editor). Managing and preventing Obesity: Behavioural Factors and Dietary Interventions. Cambridge, Woodhead Publishing, 2015.
Ms Alice Gibson
- Gibson AA, Hsu M, Rangan A, Das A, Seimon R & Sainsbury A. Accuracy of a novel 'handy' method versus household measures to estimate food portion sizes, International Conference on Dietary Assessment Methods, Brisbane, Australia, 1st -3rd September 2015.
- Gibson AA, Partridge S, Vita P & Colagiuri S, The Sydney Diabetes Prevention Program: weight loss maintenance at 4 years, International Society for Behavioural Nutrition & Physical Activity (ISBPNA), 3-6th June 2015: Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Lee CMY, Byrne NM, Markovic TP, Franklin J, Caterson ID & Sainsbury A. The less you eat, the more you move? Paradoxical findings on non-supervised physical activity with slow versus fast weight loss: The TEMPO Diet Trial, ISBPNA, 3-6th June 2015: Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Tam CS, Markovic TP, Franklin J, Byrne N, Caterson ID & Sainsbury A. Fast but not slow weight loss reduces resting energy expenditure independently of body mass loss, Obesity Week, Los Angeles, United States of America, 2-7th November 2015.
Associate Professor Amanda Salis
- March 2015: Personal invitation to present at the Dietitians Association of Australia Diabetes and Heart Health Update Day in Melbourne. Title: Intermittent fasting for diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- March 2015: Personal invitation to present a webinar for Dietitian Connection (http://www.dietitianconnection.com/), a resource for nutrition leaders. Title: Obesity physiology and the Hotel California: you can check out any time you like but you can never leave!
- May 2015: Personal invitation to present at the Mental Health Practitioner's Meeting, a group of health professionals with an interest in eating disorders. Disciplines include medicine, psychology, social work, nutrition, dietetics and counseling. Title: How to help patients with binge eating disorders who need to lose weight.
- May 2015: Personal invitation to present at the Sydney Innovation and Research Symposium (Third Stream: Aging, obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease: a big future), by the Sydney Local Health District. Title: Intermittent fasting diets - fad or future?
- August 2015: Personal invitation to present at the Rethink Obesity Media Roundtable in Sydney. This event, sponsored by Novo Nordisk, aimed to inform members of the media on how to report on obesity. Title: Obesity stigma.
- October 2015: Personal invitation to present at a one-day workshop in Melbourne on obesity as a disease, sponsored by Novo Nordisk. Title: Stigma - the patient experience, the clinician's perspective.
- October 2015: Personal invitation to present for the Dietitian's Association of Australia National Eating Disorders Interest Group, in a workshop entitled Do we need to re-think the health at every size (HAES) approach? Evidence for and against, in Sydney. Title: Call for an urgent rethink of the Health at Every Size Concept.
- October 2015: Personal invitation to present in a symposium entitled Should weight loss be the primary goal of obesity interventions at the Australian New Zealand Obesity Society annual scientific meeting in Melbourne, Victoria. Title: The case for incorporating deliberate weight maintenance phases into weight loss interventions (before, during, and after).
Dr Radhika Seimon
- Endocrine Society of Australia, August 2015, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia Seimon RV, Dodds J, Gibson AA, Center J, Markovic TP, McClintock S, Franklin J, King N, Caterson ID, Byrne NM and Sainsbury A. Fast weight loss does not reduce muscle strength or bone mineral density compared with slow weight loss in obese post-menopausal women.
- Australian and New Zealand Obesity Society, October 2015, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Zibellini J, Seimon RV, Lee CMY, Gibson AA, Hsu MSH, Sainsbury A. Does diet-induced weight loss reduce muscle strength in overweight or obese adults? A systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials.
- Asia-Oceania Conference on Obesity (AOCO) (Invited Oral), October 2015, Nagoya, Japan Seimon RV, Dodds J, Gibson AA, Center J, Markovic TP, McClintock S, Franklin J, King N, Caterson ID, Byrne NM, Sainsbury A. Fast weight loss does not reduce muscle strength or bone mineral density compared with slow weight loss in obese post-menopausal women.
Associate Professor Michael Skilton
- Speaker - 'How can neonatal ultrasound help to predict and prevent cardiovascular risk?', Westmead International Update 2015 (Sydney).
- Speaker - 'Does heart disease begin in utero?', International Conference on Nutrition and Cardiovascular Disease 2015 (Washington DC, USA).
- Keynote Speaker - 'Fetal origins of adult cardiovascular disease: preventive strategies', The Ritchie Centre Colloquium 2015 (Melbourne).
- Speaker and Session Organizer - Developmental origins of obesity workshop, Australian and New Zealand Obesity Society annual scientific meeting 2015 (Melbourne).
- Speaker - 'Nutrition (de)mystified: a burger case study', Australian Atherosclerosis Society SCOLAR meeting 2015 (Sydney).
Felipe da Luz
- Luz, F.Q. Effects of obesity treatments on eating disorders. PsychFest 2015 (event of the School of Psychology - The University of Sydney). Oral Presentation.
- Luz, F. Q., P. Hay, A. Gibson, S. Touyz, J. Swinbourne, J. Roekenes and A. Sainsbury. Do strict diets lead to binge eating in overweight or obese individuals when done under clinical supervision? A systematic review. Australian & New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders Conference 2015. Oral Presentation.
- March 4, 2015: Invited seminar at the University of Wollongong. 'Exploring the interrelationships between diet, the gut system and metabolic health'
- March 5, 2015: Boden seminar. 'Exploring the interrelationships between diet, the gut system and metabolic health'
- March 20, 2015: Invited lecture at RPA. 'Exploring the interrelationships between diet, the gut system and metabolic health'
- May 29, 2015: CPC Biology domain seminar. 'Diet, gut microbiota and glucose homeostasis'
- June 5, 2015: Invited lecture at Nutrition Society of Australia Newcastle meeting. 'Exploring the interrelationships between diet, the gut system and metabolic health'
Dr Nicholas Fuller
- Fuller NR, Sainsbury A, Caterson ID, Denyer G, Fong M, Gerofi J, Williams KH, Lau NS & Markovic TP. Are eggs good for people with type 2 diabetes mellitus? - the DIABEGG study - weight loss phase. Nutrition & Dietetics, Volume 72, Supplement 1, 2015. Presented at the Dietitians Association of Australia, Perth, Australia, May 2015.
- Fuller NR, Sainsbury A, Caterson ID, Denyer G, Fong M, Gerofi J, Williams KH, Lau NS & Markovic TP. Can weight loss outcomes be improved by teaching weight maintenance skills before a weight loss intervention? Obesity Facts, Volume 8, Supplement 1, 2015. Presented at the European Congress on Obesity, Prague, Czech Republic, May 2015.
Professor Stephen Colagiuri
- Invited Chairman, 2015 World Innovation Summit for Health (WISH), Qatar Foundation, Doha, Qatar 17-19 February 2015.
- Invited speaker, Epidemiology of Special Populations and Epidemiology of Diabetes; What's behind the numbers? Global Diabetes Summit, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore. 6-8 March 2015.
- World Health Organization - Strategic Technical Meeting on Management of Diabetes Geneva 16-17 April 2015
- Invited Chairman, Qatar Diabetes Strategy workshop, Doha, Qatar 18-19 May 2015.
- Invited speaker: Australian Diabetes Society Obesity Workshop: Integrated Model for the Management of Obesity (Pharmacotherapy & Diet/Exercise & Tele-health) Melbourne, 1 August 2015
- Key note speaker ADS Kellion Award Plenary Lecture; ADS Symposium on Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes: Using old diabetes drugs for prevention of type 2 diabetes; Great debate: Type 2 Diabetes - After Metformin, Then What? ADS-ADEA Annual Scientific Meeting. Adelaide Convention Centre, South Australia, 26 -28 August 2015
- World Health Organization - Global Report on Diabetes: Meeting of Contents Group Geneva, 14-17 September 2015
- Invited Speaker: Workshop Discussion/Debate - Policy and Strategy in Improving Diabetes Care. National Association of Diabetes Centres, Best Practice in Diabetes Centres Symposium, Sydney, 24 October 2015
- Invited Guest Speaker: Review of major trials on diabetes and cardiovascular outcomes: Making sense of it all; Update on current guidelines: Should we ADVANCE the role of Gliclazide? The ASEAN Federation of Endocrine Societies (AFES) Congress. Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia. 10-13 December 2015.
- Management of Diabetes Poorly Controlled on Insulin. Meet the Professor Session. The ASEAN Federation of Endocrine Societies (AFES) Congress. Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia. 10-13 December 2015.
Si Win Tin
- Presenter - Emerging Health Policy Conference - the University of Sydney, Australia (presenting topic - Can a clinical diabetes capacity building program change policy? A Pacific Islands Case Study)
Professor Ian Caterson
- 'Obesity - all you need to know in 20 minutes', Zoobiquity, University of Sydney, Sydney, February, 2015
- 'What shall we do now?', Joseph Proietto Feschrift, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, April 2015.
- 'The sibutramine story', 'A report card on obesity treatment' and 'Locaserin and liraglutide in obesity management, Symposium and SCOPE Course speaker, 16Th Brazilian Congress on Obesity and the Metabolic Syndrome, Rio di Janiero, Brazil, May 2015.
- 'Health, health service and economic costs of obesity'. Australian Diabetes Society Obesity Workshop, Melbourne, August 2015.
- 'Measurement of obesity in Asia'. International Symposium on Obesity Prevention, National Health Insurance System and Ministry of Health South Korea, and WHOWPR, Seoul, South Korea, August 2015.
- 'The pathophysiology of obesity and avenues for targeting therapy', GASTRO 2015: AGW/WGO International Congress, Brisbane, October 2015.
- 'What do we do now? - a new approach to chronic care', Obesity Australia Symposium, Melbourne, October 2015.
- 'Obesity and chronic disease - neglected to date, what should we do now?', Plenary Speaker, Austin Hospital Research Week, Melbourne, October 2015.
- Invited Speaker, Zoobiquity Conference. Presentation on 'Ultra-processed foods: A new concept in nutrition guidance'. Sydney Feb 17, 2015
- Invited panellist - CPC workshop on Indigenous nutrition. Sydney September 30, 2015
- Keynote speaker, Asia-Oceania Congress on Obesity - Presentation on 'Is Obesity a disease' Nagoya, Japan Oct 2-5, 2015
- Invited speaker, Asia-Oceania Congress on Obesity - Presentation on 'Initiatives to address obesity in Australia' Nagoya, Japan Oct 2-5, 2015
- Speaker, Australian and New Zealand Obesity Society. Presentation on 'Characteristics of self-directed weight losers' Melbourne Oct 14-16, 2015
- Invited speaker, International Grammar School invited lecture series. Presentation on 'Nutrition guidance for school food' Sydney November 5, 2015
- Invited Speaker, CPC Nutrition Research Bias Seminar. Presentation on 'Why nutrition is such a contested policy issue' Sydney. November 20, 2015
|National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
||CIA: Professor Janice Russell
||A randomised controlled trial to examine the effectiveness of oxytocin to improve treatment for anorexia nervosa
|| $ 402,864
|National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
||CIA: Doctor Michael Skilton
||Reducing cardiovascular risk in children born with poor fetal growth: the Small baby Omega-3 (SO3) trial
|| $ 951,297
|Heart Foundation of Australia
||Dr Michael Skilton
||Preventing the developmental origins of cardiovascular disease
|| $ 640,000
|NSW Government: Mental Health, Drugs and Alcohol Office
||Dr Sarah Maguire
||• roll out the NSW Service Plan for People with Eating Disorders
• develop a mobile application (app) to support treatment for eating disorders
• validate and disseminate an early diagnosis instrument for eating disorders
• develop a secure online eating disorder assessment portal
• develop an information resource to support people with an eating disorder
• develop and map a district-wide eating disorder early intervention network model for Local Health Districts (LHD), inclusive of Headspace, CAMHS, local schools, General Practitioners, eating disorder treatment coordinators and services
| $ 959,090
|World Diabetes Foundation
||Dr Si Win Tin
||Designing, implementing and monitoring a locally relevant and sustainable diabetes care model in the small Pacific island state of Kiribati
|Diabetes Australia Research Trust
||Dr Yan Lam
||Gut permeability, diet and glucose homeostasis in humans
|| $ 59,345
|Other Major Clinical Trials: 1. SOHO Flordis International | 2. Arnott's Biscuits Ltd | 3. NovoNordisk Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd | 4. Pfizer Australia Pty Limited
||1. Professor Ian Caterson CIA | 2. Dr Nicholas Fuller CIA | 3. Dr Tania Markovic CIA | 4. Dr Tania Markovic CIA
||1. A double blinded, randomised controlled trial to determine a) the efficacy of FBCx (a formula based on α-cyclodextrin on weight loss, and b) the efficacy of Ginst15 (a ginseng extract formula based on Compound K) on glycaemic control | 2. A randomised controlled trial to determine the efficacy of Vita-Weat for supplementation on weight loss: Arnotts Vita-Weat Study | 3. nvestigation of safety and efficacy of once daily semaglutide in obese subjects without diabetes mellitus. A 52 week, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, nine-armed, parallel group, multi-centre, multinational trial with liraglutide 3.0 mg as active comparator | 4. Phase 3 Multi-Center, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group Evaluation Of The Efficacy, Safety, And Tolerability Of Bococizumab (PF-04950615), In Reducing The Occurrence Of Major Cardiovascular Events In High Risk Subjects
| $ 1,985,846
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Professor Ian Caterson
Department/Unit: RPA - CPC Clinic
The Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition, Exercise & Eating Disorders, Level 2 and RPA Clinic, Charles Perkins Centre D17, The University of Sydney
Telephone: (02) 8627 1933
Facsimile: (02) 8627 0141