The Department of Geriatric Medicine is engaged in research that examines the major clinical syndromes experienced by older persons in the community: falls, mobility disorders, delirium, dementia, continence, polypharmacy and frailty.
Our research into falls prevention includes multicentre randomised controlled trials of exercise therapy in Parkinson's disease, dementia and mild cognitive impairment. Our work on incontinence has led to multinational collaborations and an update of the Chapter on Incontinence in the Frail Elderly (6TH International Consultation on Incontinence). The safe use of medications in older persons is the focus of many of our ongoing studies.
We have ongoing research collaborations with Neuroscience Research Australia, the Sydney Medical School and RPA Cardiology.
Higher Degree Students:
- Dr George Szonyi, International Consultation of Incontinence
- Assoc Prof Mark Latt, Falls, Parkinson's disease and Dementia
- Dr Scott Murray, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation
- Dr Cristina Cristoloveanu, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation
Publications and Presentations
- Latt MD, Loh KF, Ge L, Hepworth A. The validity of three fall risk screening tools in an acute geriatric inpatient population. Australasian Journal on Ageing 2016, DOI: 10.1111/ajag.12256
- Brodie MA, Lovell NH, Canning CG, Menz HB, Delbaere K, Redmond SJ, Latt M, Sturnieks DL, Menant j, Smith ST, Lord SR. Gait as a biomarker? Accelerometers reveal that reduced movement quality while walking is associated with Parkinson's disease, ageing and fall risk. Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society. 2014:5968-71
- Canning C, Sherrington C, Lord S, Close J, Heritier S, Heller G, Howard K, Latt MD, Murray S, O'Rourke S, Paul S, Song J, Fung VSC. Exercise for falls prevention in Parkinson's disease: a randomized controlled. Neurology 2015; 84(3):304-12
- Dinh MM, Bein KJ, Latt M, Chalkley, Muscatello. Age before acuity: the drivers of demand for emergency department services in the Greater Sydney Area. Emergency Medicine Journal 2015;32(9):708-11
- FRIDs, falls, elderly; Impact of time and dose on Falls. Australian Association of Gerontology
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Dr George Szonyi
Department/Unit: Geriatric Medicine
Telephone: (02) 9515 9800
Facsimile: (02) 9515 9801