Currently (last 12 months) funded research studies include:
- SAVE study (Sleep apnea cardiovascular endpoints study): An investigator initiated and conducted multi-centred, international study in collaboration with the Adelaide Institute of Sleep Health, Flinders University, The George Institute for International Health, The university of Sydney and Australian Sleep Trials Network.
- AMS# Alemtuzumab MS Safety Systems (AMSSS). A study developing systems to minimize the risk on MS treatment with alemtuzumab. An Australia New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry, a World Health Organistion International Clinical trials Registry Platform Primary Registry. Funded by Sydney Local health District and Genzyme, Sanofi.
- TOPAZ Study - A long term follow-up study for Multiple Sclerosis patients who have completed the alemtuzumab Extension Study (CAMMS03409) - Sanofi.
- LEMTRADA PASS Study - A prospective, multicenter, observational post-authorisation safety study to evaluate the long term safety profile of Lemtrada (Alemtuzumab) treatment in patients with relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis. - Sanofi.
- MSBase. An International Registry dedicated to the evaluating outcomes data in Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and linking MS Researchers. Sponsored by The MSBase Foundation LTD sponsored by various pharma companies.
- Australian Parkinson’s Disease Registry (APDR). Aims to have cohort of 1000 PD patients and a 1000 control subjects, participating every 3years over 15 year time span, willing to have their phenotype recorded, genetic and blood samples stored for future research into PD and to be approached to participate in future PD clinical studies. The APDR is managed in collaboration with The Florey Neurosciences Institute and the Cooperative Research Centre for Mental Health and supported by Parkinson’s Victoria.
- ESTEEM Study: An Observational Study to collect safety information and drug utilization of dimethyl fumarate in routine treatment of MS patients. Sponsored by Biogen Idec.
- Bone health in fascioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. A cross sectional study of bone density in adult patients with FSHD in the USA and Australia. Sponsored by FSHD Global Research Foundation.
- Investigating use of Parkinson’s Kinetigraph (PKG) system during the optimisation of treatment in Parkinson’s Disease.
- DUOdopa/Duopa in Patients with Advanced Parkinson’s Disease (PD) – a Global Observational Study Evaluating Long-Term Effectiveness.
- A Multicenter, Randomised Controlled Trial Evaluating the Use of the PKG Movement Recording System in patients with Parkinson’s Disease. Protocol: GKC - 200.
Current clinical studies (Assoc. Prof Aggarwal):
- 2012-present A comparative open label study comparing the efficacy of structured physiotherapy vs non structured physiotherapy in reducing post-stroke spasticity related shoulder pain in patients treated with Botulinum toxin A. RPAH Spasticity Clinic.
- 2014 – present An International, Multicenter, Observational, Prospective, Longitudinal Cohort Study To Assess The Impact Of Integrated Spasticity Management Including Repeated Bot-A Injections On Patient-Centred Goal Attainment In Adult Subjects Suffering From Upper Limb Spasticity – ULIS III. RPAH Spasticity Clinic.
- Prevalence of Biochemical and Hormonal Abnormalities in Chronic Pain Patients RPAH Spasticity Clinic.
- 2015 – present: Rehabilitation Outcomes of the Dys-executive Syndrome of Thalamic Stroke. Metro Rehab Hospital.
- A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of AXS-02 (Disodium Zoledronate Tetrahydrate) Administered Orally to Subjects with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type-I. RPAH Pain Clinic.
- Professor Alastair Corbett. (Stroke, neuromuscular and neuroimmunology)
- Dr Michael Hayes. (Movement disorders and general neurology)
- Assoc. Prof Stephen Reddel. (Neuromuscular and neuroimmunology)
- Dr Todd Hardy. (Neuroimmunlogy)
- Dr Carrie Hurelbrink. (Movement disorders)
- Rosie Portley, RN (Stroke, movement disorders, neuromuscular, neuroimmunology)
- Diane Erickson, RN (Neuroimmunology)
- Alison Wilson, Neurosciences CNC (Stroke data and neuroimmunology inpatient support)
Publications and Presentations
- Garg, N, Miller, DH, Chataway, J, Barnett, Y, Masters, L, Riminton, DS, Reddel, SW, Barnett, MH, Hardy, TA. The corpus callosum in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis and other CNS demyelinating and neuroinflammatory diseases. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2015 Dec;86(12):1374-82.
- Buzzard, KA, Reddel, SW, Riminton, DS, Yiannikas, C, Barnett, MH, Hardy, TA. Distinguishing Susac’s syndrome from multiple sclerosis. J Neurol. 2015 Jul;262(7):1613-21.
- Beadnall, HN, Kuppanda, K, O’Connell, A, Hardy, TA, Reddel, SW, Barnett, MH. Tablet-based screening improves continence management in multiple sclerosis. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2015 Jun;2(6):679-87.
- Hardy, TA, O’Brien, B, Gerbis, N, Barnett, MH, Reddel, SW, Brewer, J, Herkes, GK, Silberstein, P, Garsia, RJ, Watson, JDG, Gupta, R, Parratt, JD, Buckland, ME. Brain histopathology in three cases of Susac’s syndrome: implications for lesion pathogenesis and treatment. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2015 May;86(5):582-4.
- Ramanathan, S, Prelog, K, Barnes, E, Tantsis, E, Reddel, SW, Henderson, A, Vucic, S, Gorman, MP, Benson, L, Alper, G, Riney, CJ, Barnett, MH, Parratt, JDE. Hardy, TA, Leventer, R, Merheb, V, Nosadini, M, Fung, VSC, Brilot, F, Dale, RC. Radiological differentiation of optic neuritis with myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies, aquaporin 4 antibodies, and multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler. 2015 Apr;22(4):470-482.
- Ramanathan, S, Langguth, DN, Hardy, TA, Garg, N, Bundell, C, Rojana-Udomsart, A, Dale, RC, Robertson, T, Mammen, AL, Reddel, SW. Clinical course and treatment of anti-HMG-CR antibody associated necrotising autoimmune myopathy. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2015 Apr 2;2(3):e96.
- Rakusa, M, Cano, SJ, Porter, B, Riazi, A, Thompson, AJ, Chataway, J, Hardy, TA. A predictive model for corticosteroid response in individual patients with MS relapses. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 18;10(3):e0120829.
- Hardy, TA, Beadnall, HN, Sutton, I, Mohamed, A, Jonker, B, Buckland, ME, Barnett, MH. Baló’s concentric sclerosis and tumefactive demyelination: a shared immunopathogenesis? J Neurol Sci. 2015 Jan 15;348(1-2):279-81.
- Min-Xia Wang M-X, Spring P, Pollard J, Spies J. Atypical CIDP or CMT in the elderly? A case report. Journal of Neuromuscular Diseases; 3, no. s1, p S79, 2016.
- Tawil R, Mah JK, Baker S, Wagner KR, Ryan MM; Sydney Workshop Participants.Clinical practice considerations in facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy, Sydney, Australia, 21 September 2015. Neuromuscul Disord. 2016 Jul;26(7):462-71. doi: 10.1016/j.nmd.2016.03.007. Epub 2016 Apr 25. PubMed PMID: 27185458.
- Ghaoui R, Cooper ST, Lek M, Jones K, Corbett A, Reddel SW, Needham M, Liang C, Waddell LB, Nicholson G, O'Grady G, Kaur S, Ong R, Davis M, Sue CM, Laing NG, North KN, MacArthur DG, Clarke NF. Use of Whole-Exome Sequencing for Diagnosis of Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy: Outcomes and Lessons Learned. JAMA Neurol. 2015 Dec;72(12):1424-32. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2015.2274. PubMed PMID: 26436962.
- Lau JK, Sy RW, Corbett A, Kritharides L. Myotonic dystrophy and the heart: A systematic review of evaluation and management. Int J Cardiol. 2015 Apr 1;184:600-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2015.03.069. Epub 2015 Mar 5. Review. PubMed PMID: 25769007.
- Cabrera-Serrano M, Ghaoui R, Ravenscroft G, Johnsen RD, Davis MR, Corbett A, Reddel S, Sue CM, Liang C, Waddell LB, Kaur S, Lek M, North KN, MacArthur DG, Lamont PJ, Clarke NF, Laing NG. Expanding the phenotype of GMPPB mutations. Brain. 2015 Apr;138(Pt 4):836-44. doi: 10.1093/brain/awv013. Epub 2015 Feb 12. PubMed PMID: 25681410.
- Aggarwal A. Sodium Valproate: The Forgotten Anti-Neuropathic. Journal of Clinical Trials, 2015: 5.5
- Zekry O, Gibson S , Aggarwal A. Sub-anaesthetic Subcutaneous Ketamine Infusion Therapy in the Treatment of Chronic Non-Malignant Pain. J. of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy Apr 2016: 1-8.
- K. Pirapakaran, A. Aggarwal. The Use of Low-Dose Sodium Valproate in the Management of Neuropathic Pain: Illustrative Case Series. Internal Medicine Journal Jul 2016: 849-852.
National and International:
- Associate Professor Arun Aggarwal: National 3, International 1
- Associate Professor Stephen Reddel: National 5+, International 2
- Dr Michael Hayes: National 2, International 2
- Dr Todd Hardy: National 2, International 1
2016 Cromwell Foundation for Research into Trigeminal Neuralgia $ 15,000
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Dr Michael Hayes
Telephone: (02) 9767 6416
Facsimile: (02) 9767 7807