Women and Babies / Obstetrics and Midwifery
The obstetric team at RPA are active participants in a number of research projects been driven both locally and nationally to improve pregnancy outcomes for mothers and babies. The team focus on clinical and translational research in the prediction and prevention of adverse obstetric outcomes (pre-eclampsia, intrauterine growth restriction, preterm delivery and MCDA twin pregnancies) through population based screening at 12 weeks of gestation. We work closely with our neonatal colleagues to improve our understanding, detection and prevention of causes of stillbirth and neonatal death. We are involved in some innovative research looking at non-invasive methods of data collection during labour and are near to completing a major NHMRC trial (the POP-Out trial) looking at the impact of active management of malposition in labour.
- 27 journal articles published
- 44 presentations were made by staff
- Total grants received - $516,000
Higher Degree Students:
- Clinical Professor Jon Hyett: Obstetrician and lead investigator in first trimester predictive modelling.
- Associate Professor Kirsten Black: Obstetrician/Gynaecologist leading early pregnancy and international women's health research.
- Dr Bradley De Vries: Obstetrician/Gynaecologist and lead investigator on the POP-Out Trial.
- Dr Joanne Ludlow: Obstetrician/Gynaecologist and lead investigator for early pregnancy / endometriosis based research.
- Dr Adam Mackie: Obstetrician/Gynaecologist and investigator in labour ward management.
- Dr Ritu Mogra: Obstetric/Gynaecological Sonologist and investigator into structural and functional fetal cardiac anomalies.
- Dr Robert Ogle: Obstetrician/Head of Department and investigator in hypertensive disease in pregnancy.
- Marilena Pelosi: Research midwife co-ordinating departmental research projects.
- Rachel Puddephat: Research midwife co-ordinating departmental research projects.
- Dr Hala Phipps: Research Midwifery Consultant for RPA and SLHD: Key investigator of POP-OUT Trial and co-ordinating midwifery research.
- Dr Jane Tooher: Research midwife co-ordinating departmental research.
- Stan Santiagu: Senior Obstetrics and Gynaeocolohy registrar and investigating issues relating to caesarean section.
- Karen Burkner: Research midwife for 2 multi-centred trials- CIPS and APPROVE Trials
- Melissa Wang: Research midwife for POP-OUT Trial
- Tara Reilly: Research midwife for POP-OUT Trial
- Susanne Holmes: Research midwife for 1 multi-centred trial – CIPS trial.
- Dr Bradley de Vries (obstetrician): PhD Candidate: prediction and prevention of intrapartum caesarean section”.
- Ms Sarah Smith (Engineer): “Quantification of forces exerted through labour on the mother and the fetus”.
- Mrs Kate Cheney (Clinical Midwifery Consultant) PhD Candidate: “the relationship of pregnancy intention and maternal overweight and obesity”
- Dr Jane Tooher Research Midwife Graduated in 2015 with a PhD entitled ‘Cardiovascular risk following hypertensive disorders in pregnancy’.
- Kate Russo (stenographer): PhD Candidate: “Maternal cardiac function in preeclampsia”
Publications and Presentations
- de Vries B, Bryce B, Zandanova T, Ting J, Kelly P, Phipps H. Hyett JA. Is Neonatal Head Circumference Related to Caesarean Section for Failure to Progress? Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2015. (In Press).
- McMaster-Fay RA, Hyett JA. Cell-free fetal DNA in the pathogenesis of preeclampsia.
- Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Apr;214(4):548. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2015.12.005. Epub 2015 Dec 12.
- de Vries B. Phipps H, Pardy J, Kua S, Ludlow J, Bisit A, Hyett JA. Transverse position. Using Rotation to aid Normal birth randomized controlled trial protocol: (TURN-OUT) A study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials Journal. 2015.(1745-6215), 16(2), p.362.
- Hyett JA The Danish Fetal Medicine Database: revealing the fruits of collaborative research.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2015 Jun;94(6):561-2. doi: 10.1111/aogs.12653. No abstract available. PIMID 25962501.
- Bond DM, Gordon A, Hyett J, de Vries B, Carberry AE, Morris J. Planned early delivery versus expectant management of the term suspected compromised baby for improving outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Nov 24;(11):CD009433. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009433.pub2.
- Ridding G, Schluter PJ, Hyett JA, McLennan AC. Influence of sampling site on uterine artery Doppler indices at 11-13?? weeks gestation. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2015;37(4):310-5. doi: 10.1159/000366060. Epub 2015 Feb 21.
- Davis G; Fleming T; Ford K; Mouawad MR; Ludlow J. Caesarean section at full cervical dilatation. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2015 Dec;55(6):565-71. doi: 10.1111/ajo.12374. Epub 2015 Jul 30.PMID:26223774
- Phipps H; Hyett JA; Kuah S; Pardey J; Ludlow J; Bisits A; Park F; Kowalski D; de Vries B. Persistent Occiput Posterior position - OUTcomes following manual rotation (POP-OUT): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials. 16:96, 2015.
- Smith S, Brooker G, Mhajer A, Wijeyaranthe A, Phipps H and Hyett JA. A robotic system to simulate child birth. IEEE Robotics and Automation Society 2015.1273-1278.
- Phipps H, Hyett JA, Pardey J, Kua S, Ludlow J, Bisit A,de Vries B. Persistent Occiput-Posterior: OUTcomes following manuall rotation randomised controlled trial protoccol: the POP-OUT Trial. 2015. 16:96 doi:10.1186/s13063-015-0603-7.
- Phipps H, Hyett J, Graham K, Carseldine W, Tooher J, de Vries B. Is there an association between occiput-transverse (OT) position and operative delivery? Acta Obstetricia et gynecologica Scandinavica 2015. 93(10): 1018-24.
- Tooher, J., Thornton, C., Makris, A., Ogle, R., Korda, A., Horvath, J., Hennessy, A. (2016) Hypertension in pregnancy and long term cardiovascular mortality: a retrospective cohort study. America Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2016 Jun;214(6):722.e1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2015.12.047. Epub 2015 Dec 29. ’
- Boustani MM,Frazier SL, Becker KD, Bechor M, Dinizulu SM, Hendermann ER, Ogle RR, Pasalich DS. Common elements of adolescent prevention programs: minimizing burden while maximizing reach. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research 2015 Mar;42(2):209-19. doi: 10.1007/s10488-014-0541-9.
- Mone F, Harrity C, Mackie A, Segurado R, Toner B, McCormick TR, Currie A, McAuliffe FM. Vaginal birth after caesarean section prediction models: a UK comparative observational study. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2015 Oct;193:136-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2015.07.024. Epub 2015 Aug 7.
- Kan A, Leung P, Luo K, Fay L, Tan CL. Do Asian women do as well as their Caucasian counterparts in IVF treatment: Cohort study. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2015 Jun; 41(6):946-51. doi: 10.1111/jog.12643. Epub 2014 Dec 16.
- O'Brien B, Kesby G, Ogle R, Rieger I, Hyett JA. Treatment of Primary Fetal Hydrothorax with OK-432 (Picibanil): Outcome in 14 Fetuses and a Review of the Literature. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2015;37(4):259-66. doi: 10.1159/000363651. Epub 2015 Feb 14.
- Ridding G, Hyett JA, Sahota D, McLennan AC. Assessing quality standards in measurement of uterine artery pulsatility index at 11 to 13 + 6 weeks' gestation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Sep;46(3):299-305. doi: 10.1002/uog.14732.
- Sweeting AN, Ross GP, Hyett J, Molyneaux L, Constantino M, Harding AJ, Wong J. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in Early Pregnancy: Evidence for Poor Pregnancy Outcomes Despite Treatment. Diabetes Care. 2016 Jan;39(1):75-81. doi: 10.2337/dc15-0433. Epub 2015 Dec 8.
- Christiansen M, Ekelund CK, Petersen OB, Hyett J, Eastwood N, Ball S, Tabor A, Vogel I. Nuchal translucency distributions for different chromosomal anomalies in a large unselected population cohort. Prenat Diagn. 2016 Jan;36(1):49-55. doi: 10.1002/pd.4711. Epub 2015 Nov 19.
- Mogra R, Saaid R, Kesby G, Hayward J, Malkoun J, Hyett J. Early fetal echocardiography: Experience of a tertiary diagnostic service. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2015 Dec;55(6):552-8. doi: 10.1111/ajo.12379. Epub 2015 Jul 30.
- Markovic TP, Muirhead R, Overs S, Ross GP, Louie JC, Kizirian N, Denyer G, Petocz P, Hyett J, Brand-Miller JC. Randomized Controlled Trial Investigating the Effects of a Low-Glycemic Index Diet on Pregnancy Outcomes in Women at High Risk of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: The GI Baby 3 Study. Diabetes Care. 2016 Jan;39(1):31-8. doi: 10.2337/dc15-0572. Epub 2015 Jul 16.
- Narayan R, Saaid R, Pedersen L, Hyett J. Ultrasound Assessment of Umbilical Cord Morphology in the First Trimester: A Feasibility Study. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2015;38(3):212-7. doi: 10.1159/000375159. Epub 2015 Feb 26.
- Sweeting A, Park F, Hyett J. The first trimester: prediction and prevention of the great obstetrical syndromes. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2015 Feb;29(2):183-93. doi: 10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2014.09.006. Epub 2014 Oct 14.
- Hui L, Teoh M, da Silva Costa F, Ramsay P, Palma-Dias R, Richmond Z, Piessens S, Walker S; Australian NIPT collaboration. Clinical implementation of cell-free DNA-based aneuploidy screening: perspectives from a national audit. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Jan; 45(1):10-5. doi: 10.1002/uog.14699.
- Leung C, Saaid R, Pedersen L, Park F, Poon L, Hyett J. Demographic factors that can be used to predict early-onset pre-eclampsia. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2015 Mar;28(5):535-9. doi: 10.3109/14767058.2014.923837. Epub 2014 Jun 5.
- Park F, Russo K, Williams P, Pelosi M, Puddephatt R, Walter M, Leung C, Saaid R, Rawashdeh H, Ogle R, Hyett J. Prediction and prevention of early?onset pre?eclampsia: impact of aspirin after first?trimester screening. Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 2015 Oct;46(4):419-23. doi: 10.1002/uog.14819. Epub 2015 Aug 31.
- E Holanda Moura SB, Park F, Murthi P, Martins WP, Kane SC, Williams P, Hyett J, da Silva Costa F. TNF-R1 as a first trimester marker for prediction of pre-eclampsia. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016 Mar;29(6):897-903. doi: 10.3109/14767058.2015.1022865. Epub 2015 Mar 17.
- Park F, Russo K, Williams P, Pelosi M, Puddephatt R, Walter M, Leung C, Saaid R, Rawashdeh H, Ogle R, Hyett J. Prediction and prevention of early-onset pre-eclampsia: impact of aspirin after first-trimester screening. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Oct; 46(4):419-23.
- Ridding G, Hyett JA, Sahota D, McLennan AC. Assessing quality standards in measurement of uterine artery pulsatility index at 11 to 13 + 6 weeks’ gestation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Sep;46(3):299-305.
- Hala Phipps, Invited speaker at the 2015 Pregnancy Summit 29/9 – 1/10/2015, European Scientific Conference, Cineworld: The O2 Peninsula Square, London, SE10 0DX, United Kingdom.
- Phipps H, de Vries B, Hyett J. Comparison of clinical practice in the management of malposition in labour between midwives and obstetricians. The Perinatal Society of Australia & New Zealand 19th Annual Congress (PSANZ), Melbourne, 2015, April 19 -22.
- Cheney K, Sim K, Pelosi M, Ludlow J, Barrett A, Black, K. Is there a relationship between maternal BMI and pregnancy intention? The Perinatal Society of Australia & New Zealand 19th Annual Congress (PSANZ), Melbourne, 2015, April 19 -22.
- Cheney K, McCosker S, Sim K, Barrett A, Black, K. Prevalence and trend of maternal BMI. A Healthy start for the human race. Developmental Origins of Health and Disease Society of Australia and New Zealand. 2015 DOHaD Conference, April 17-19 2015, Melbourne, Australia.
- Davis G, Ludlow J. Second stage delivery in theatre, Does consultant presence make a difference? 2015 RCOG World Conference, April 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Loretta Musgrave, Midwife Educator, CEWD, SLHD ‘Written in the stars – creating the future of practice’ presented at the Australasian Nurse Educators Conference in Auckland in November 2015
- Carmel Kelly presented “Improving breastfeeding for diabetic women” the work on antenatal breastfeeding education for women who have diabetes in pregnancy and how it increased the breastfeeding rates at 1, 3 and 5 months at LCANZ ( Lactation Consultants of Australia and New Zealand) annual conference in Brisbane March 2015.
- Mogra R. (Invited speaker) “Ultrasound usage for Fetal Heart Diagnosis”. Asia Pacific Women’s Health Focus Group meeting, 19th September 2015,Tokyo, Japan.
- Mogra R. (Invited speaker) “Ultrasound Mapping for Deep Infiltrating Endometriosis and New Advances in Saline Infusion Sonography Using Real Time 3D Technology”. Gynaecology Ultrasound Skill: Exploring New Horizons. Philippine society of ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 22nd November 2015, Manila, Philippines.
- Hyett J. (Pleneray speaker). “First trimester screening – what can we predict? Crash caesarean section: decision to delivery interval.The use of antenatal steroids – controversies”. Malaysian Perinatal Society Meeting, March 2015, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
- Hyett J. (Pleneray speaker). “First trimester screening for prediction of ePET” and “Pre-conference course speaker: First trimester screening for gestational diabetes”. Diabetes In Pregnancy International Scientific Meeting, April 2015, Berlin, Germany.
- Hyett J. (Pleneray speaker). “Dead reckoning” and “Pre-conference course speaker: Ultrasound surveillance in multiple pregnancy. RCOG World Congress, April 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Hyett J. “Prediction and prevention of early onset pre-eclampsia” and Chair: “Managing gestational diabetes”. World Congress in Fetal Medicine, June 2015, Crete, Greece.
- Hyett J. (Pleneray speaker). “Aspirin for the prevention of early onset pre-eclampsia” and Workshop chair / speaker: “Surveillance and monitoring of late onset IUGR” . International Federation of Placental Associations 42nd meeting, August 2015, Vancouver, Canada.
- Hyett J. Educational presentations x 3: “First trimester screening”; “Prediction and prevention of preterm birth”; “Monochorionic twin surveillance”. International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology Educational Course, September 2015, Shanghai, China.
- Hyett J. Chair: “First trimester ultrasound / oral communications- Obstetric poster discussion hub”; Workshop: “Predicting and preventing pre-eclampsia”; Debate: “There is no longer a role for an NT scan in the NIPT era”. International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Annual Scientific Meeting, Oct 2015, Montreal, Canada.
- Hyett J. Pleneray speaker: “Non-invasive prenatal screening for aneuploidy”; “Prediction and prevention of early onset pre-eclampsia” and “First trimester prediction of gestational diabetes” . Vietnamese Perinatal Society, November 2015, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Hyett J. Pleneray speaker: “1st trimester diagnosis of skeletal abnormalities”; “1st trimester prediction of gestational diabetes”; “NIPT for microdeletions: Does it make sense?” and chair: “late onset intrauterine growth restriction session”. 11th Asia Pacific Congress of Maternal and Fetal Medicine, 27-29 November 2015, Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel, Taipei, Taiwan
- Hyett J. “First trimester screening for prediction of ePET”. Australasian Association of Obstetric and Gynaecological Ultrasound Annual meeting, May 2015, Adelaide, Australia.
- Hyett J. Plenary speaker: “First trimester ultrasound in the era of NIPT”. Global Obstetric Update, November 2015, Melbourne, Australia
- Cheney K, McCosker S, Sim K, Barrett A, Black, K.) “Prevalence and trend of maternal BMI” Australian College of Midwives 19th Biennial Conference 2015 (Gold Coast).
- Hala Phipps, (invited Chair), Super Midwives making A difference, Working with challenges ACM 19th Biennial National Conference, RACV Royal Pine Resort, 5-8 October 2015, Gold Coast.
- Rosalie Nunn, Midwife Practitioner Canterbury Hospital, Presented a poster at the 2015 Australian College of Midwives National conference about her clinical redesign project of the Gestational Diabetes Clinic called ‘Too long to wait’
- Rachel Jones and Carmel Kelly presented a poster at the LCANZ ( Lactation Consultants of Australia and New Zealand) annual conference in Brisbane March 2015 – “Do First Expressions count?”
- Dr Jane Tooher, The impact of Pregnancy on Future Health, Back to the Future, Nursing and Midwifery Clinical Practice Forum. Royal Prince Alfred Hospital10th November 2015
- Dr Jane Tooher, Should we be concerned about pregnancy and its impact on future health? Childbirth Parent Educators Professional Day, Bankstown Hospital, 3rd June 2015.
- Dr Hala Phipps. What can midwives do to reduce caesarean section rates. Childbirth Parent Educators Professional Day, Bankstown Hospital, 3rd June 2015.
- Cat Fung (CNC): poster: The Australian Association of Adolescent Health (AAAH) Conference held in Melbourne on 12 November 2015: ‘Young People Lend a Hand To Help RPA Youth Team Rebrand’
- O’Brien B, Jennings K, Griew K, Ludlow J. 3rd and 4th degree tears. Maternity Audit. John Greenway, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, 1-3pm, 5th May 2015.
- Gill A, Mead S. Ludlow J. Retained Placenta. Maternity Audit. John Greenway, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, 1-3pm, 5th May 2015.
- Mackie A, Carseldine W, Rowlings S. Paired Blood gases. Maternity Audit. KPEC Auditorium, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, 1-3pm, 8th July 2015.
- Fay L, Hyett J, Slusarckyk B, Farmey J. Unexpected admissions to NICU. Maternity Audit. KPEC Auditorium, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, 1-3pm, 8th July 2015.
- Hyett J, Lutz T, Burton A. PEAPOD and fetal growth. KPEC Auditorium, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, 1-3pm, 10th September 2015.
- Crealy C, Nunn R, Catherine Dunphy. Low risk management of gestational diabetes. KPEC Auditorium, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, 1-3pm, 10th September 2015.
- Innel m, Jordan C, Dilworth J, Burn K, Wheeler K. Demographics and models of care. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Ludlow J,Pelosi , Flynn J, Lusnik V. EPAS- Medical management of miscarriages and outcomes. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Hyett j, de Vries B, Graham K. Placental insufficiency. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Hyett J, Rawashdeh H, Morton R. Preterm delivery. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Ludlow J, Crealy c, Parson S, Psycho-sociel indicators. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Campbell N, Strockyj S. Maternal Health complications. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- De Vries B, Vanza K, Cohen S, Rowlings S, Burn K. Intrapartum care. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Kelly C, Drakulic T, Nursey M, Smith O’Bray, Fay L, Skinner R. Postnatal Care. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Gordon A, Mackie A, Wong E, Mouawad M. Stillbirth/ neonatal death. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conf Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Griew K, Wolak D.IIMS reports/complaints. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
- Mogra R, Mylvaganam G. Congenital malformation. Annual report presentations, RPA Women and Babies, KPEC, Large conference room 4.2, 4th Dec 2015 8.45-3.30pm.
NHMRC Project Grant
Bradley de Vries
Persistent Occiput Posterior- Outcomes following manual Rotation (POP-OUT RCT)
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Dr Robert Ogle
Department/Unit: Women and Babies / Obstetrics and Midwifery
Telephone: (02) 9515 8887
Facsimile: (02) 9515 3811