Public Health Unit
While the main role of the Public Health Unit relates to its statutory responsibilities under the Public Health Act and other legislation, several of the unit's senior staff conduct translational research in a range of areas including communicable disease control, environmental health, epidemiology, public health emergency management and immunisation. We collaborate with other researchers at Health Protection NSW (NSW Ministry of Health), other local health district public health units, universities, laboratories and hospitals as well as other government agencies. Much of the public health unit's applied research relates to investigations of public health incidents or outbreaks. The public health unit has a strong interest in capacity building for applied public health research, epidemiologic surveillance, communicable disease control investigations and evaluation. We train registrars and trainees in these methods. Staff are involved in teaching at the University of Sydney and University of Notre Dame, Sydney.
Projects or investigations underway or in planning include:
- A pilot study of the impact of referral of notifications of hepatitis B to a gastroenterology clinic
- Investigation of seven cases endotoxin poisoning related to infusions of glutathione
- Investigation of an outbreak of salmonella in a sporting team
- Visibility of equity in Australian clinical practice guidelines
- Case control study assessing the impact of antenatal pertussis vaccination (statewide project)
- Vaccination rates amongst Aboriginal students in the school-based HPV vaccination programme.
- Comparison of influenza outbreaks in 3 local health districts in 2014.
- General practitioners' involvement in screening and vaccination of contacts with hepatitis B;
- Print media coverage of Ebola virus disease, Middle East Respiratory syndrome and pertussis.
Higher Degree Students:
- Clinical Assoc Prof Leena Gupta
- Dr Zeina Najjar
- Dr Emma Quinn
- Ms Essi Huhtinen
- Mr Andrew Ingleton
Public Health Registrars:
- Shireen Durrani
- Sethunya Matenge
- Kleete Simpson
Aboriginal Environmental Health Training Programme
Publications and Presentations
- Vyas A, Ingleton A, Huhtinen E, Hope K, Najjar Z, Gupta L. Influenza outbreak preparedness: lessons from outbreaks in residential care facilities in 2014. Communicable Diseases Intelligence 2015;39(2):E204-207.
- Najjar Z, Gupta L, Sintchenko V, Shadbolt C, Wang Q, Bansal N. Listeriosis cluster in Sydney linked to hospital food. Medical Journal of Australia 2015;202(8):448-449.
- Bateman-Steel C, Vyas A, Gupta L. General practitioner management of notifiable diseases is central to communicable disease control. Medical Journal of Australia; 202 (10): 524-25.
- Quinn E, Najjar Z, Gupta L. Notifiable diseases report 2014. [technical report]
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Clinical Associate Professor Leena Gupta
Department/Unit: Public Health Unit
PO Box 374
Telephone: (02) 9515 9420
Facsimile: (02) 9515 6133