Department of Endocrinology
The RPAH Department of Endocrinology, in addition to inpatient care, comprises three clinical Units and two laboratory services. These are:
- The Diabetes Centre
- Endocrinology and Metabolism Unit
- Metabolism and Obesity Service,
- Endocrinology Research Laboratory
- Endocrinology Diagnostic Laboratory
In addition, the Endocrinology Node of the Charles Perkins Centre commenced in 2015. These Units, are each reported upon below in the combined Research Activity Report. The research activity undertaken is broad in scope, reflecting the breadth of Endocrine related disease. Major diseases studied are diabetes and its complications, thyroid disease including cancer, pituitary disease and morbid obesity.
The research undertaken includes clinical intervention studies, clinical audit and health care delivery research, and translational research including biomarker studies and testing of findings and potential mediators of disease in preclinical models. Organised external educational activities, for example through Webinars, also occurs.
Our Department is highly active in research with more than 60 scientific publications (excluding abstracts) in 2015, and 23 PhD (17) and Masters (6) students. It publishes in the top journals in its field and more broadly and contributes outcomes that positively impact on national and international guidelines as well as translational aspects of clinical care and management algorithms.
In the Diabetes Centre, our research highlighting the aggressive nature of type 2 diabetes in youth and the high mortality risk in this population has been increasingly recognized with key publications in a high impact peer review journal and editorialized. This work has attracted widespread local and international press coverage including global internet coverage. This work has also translated into new clinical recommendations and been cited by international guideline documents 'Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Youth With Diabetes Mellitus: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association Circulation October 21, 2014 130:1532-1558' and 'Joint British Societies' consensus recommendations for the prevention of cardiovascular disease (JBS3) Heart April 1, 2014 '. RPAH Diabetes Centre is in the formal planning and development stage of a clinical service program for type 2 diabetes in young people, including in integrating with primary care through health pathways.
Our postgraduate program continues to support outstanding research students. As described in the Awards section, Dr Arianne Sweeting received the Dean's Prize for Student Research Publications, 2015. Post graduate student Ms Maria Constantino was a finalist for the ADS ASM Presidents Young Investigator award 2015 and was an invited speaker at the International Diabetes Federation World Congress Vancouver 2015. Post graduate student Endocrinologist Dr Agata Piotrowicz presented her research in exercise and type 1 diabetes, at international and national scientific forums, as did Dr Angela Lee including in studies of metabolic syndrome in type 1 diabetes, and Dr Tim Middleton for studies in type 2 diabetes, hypoglycaemia and cardiac dysrhythmia.
Our researchers continue to serve the research community with ongoing contributions to review boards, editorial responsibilities and invited speaker presentations. Professor Stephen Twigg is Editor- in- Chief of Endocrinology Today a national peer reviewed educational journal. Clinical Associate Professor Glynis Ross is on the Australian Diabetes Society Council. Clinical Associate Professor Jencia Wong is a Board Director of the Diabetes Australia Research Trust. She also serves on the Australian National Diabetes Audit (ANDA) Advisory Group 2014-15. Dr Ted Wu and A/Prof. Margaret McGill run educational Webinars in diabetes, with reference to our local clinical research.
The Endocrinology node at the Charles Perkins Centre RPA Clinic is enabling multidisciplinary research activity in Diabetes and Liver disease to be undertaken co-led by Dr Kathryn Williams and is supporting multidisciplinary studies in type 1 and type 2 diabetes and exercise.
In the Endocrine and Metabolic Unit, thyroid Cancer: Elizabeth Chua, Ash Gargya, Sue McLennan, Catherine Woolnough, plus collaborators: A/Prof Michael Elliott, A/Prof Ruta Gupta. In collaboration with Head & Neck Surgery and Department of Pathology, a multi-disciplinary meeting is held once a month alternating between Clinical (case discussions, review of histopathology slides, presentation relevant topics) and Research (clinical and molecular genetics) discussions and planning.
In hyperthyroidism: researchers: Elizabeth Chua, Albert Hsieh, Stephen Twigg, Sue McLennan; Collaborators: A/Prof Stephen Aldestein; a Clinical audit of Graves' disease cases seen in the clinic from 2000 - 2010 has been carried out and studies on the TSH receptor antibodies are ongoing.
In thyroid function in the context of controlled ovarian hyper-stimulation: Researchers: Elizabeth Chua, Ash Gargya. Collaborators: Dr Anthony Marren, Dr Ying Li, Dr Mark Bowma. This study is examining the change in TSH from pre- to post-controlled ovarian hyper-stimulation and at the time of embryo transfer and its correlation with fertility and pregnancy outcomes.
A Clinical Trial of long-acting hGH in Adults: Researchers: Elizabeth Chua, Albert Hsieh, Stephen Twigg, Julie Hetherington, Krisztina Toth EMC is one the three Australian sites involved in this International Phase-3 multi-centre study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a long-acting human growth hormone product in adult subjects with growth hormone deficiency.
Endocrine Complications of anti-immune checkpoint antibodies (anti-CTLA-4 - Ipilimumab and anti-PD-1 - Pembrolizumab) for malignant melanoma: Researchers: Elizabeth Chua, Arrianne Sweeting Collaborators: Catriona McNeil In collaboration with department of oncology and melanoma institute, patients treated with Ipilimumab and Pembrolizumab who develop hypophysitis and/or thyroiditis are co-managed by endocrinologists and endocrne registrars both in the inpatient and outpatient setting. In collaboration with Westmead Hospital, an article submitted to Internal Medicine Journal has been realised.
In Metabolism and Obesity services: A paper with outcome data for public bariatric surgery within Sydney South West Area Health Service over 2 years has been published by the MJA; A study design in collaboration with the Garvan Institute to assess gastric emptying in patients with Prader Willi Syndrome, and how GLP1 analogues affect this is ongoing; A collaboration with the Boden Institute in a study examining effects of fast vs slow weight loss is ongoing.
In our Endocrinology Research Laboratory, key novel publications in diabetes and fatty liver, and diabetes and circulating dysregulation of white cells have been achieved in higher impact international research journals.
- Dr Arianne Sweeting Dean's Prize for Student Research Publications Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in Early Pregnancy: Evidence for Poor Pregnancy Outcomes Despite Treatment. Sweeting AN, Ross GP, Hyett J, Molyneaux L, Constantino M, Harding AJ, Wong J. Diabetes Care. 2016 Jan;39(1):75-81. doi: 10.2337/dc15-0433. Epub 2015 Dec 8.
- Dr Albert Hsieh, University of Sydney Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS) Scholarship, 2015 Dr Timothy Middleton, ADS-MSD Travel Scholarship 2016 (76th Annual Scientific Sessions of the American Diabetes Association).
- Professor Stephen M Twigg Awarded title of Associate Dean (Research), Central Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney, in 2015.
Higher Degree Students:
- Professor Stephen Twigg : Head, Dept of Endocrinology
- A/Professor Susan McLennan: Principal Hospital Scientist
- A/Professor Paul Williams: Principal Hospital Scientist
- Dr Danqing Min: Senior Hospital Scientist and Senior Research Fellow
- Dr Catherine Woolnough: Hospital Scientist
- Clinical Associate Professor Jencia Wong: Director of Research, Diabetes Centre
- Dr Ted Wu: Director of Diabetes Centre
- Clinical Associate Professor Glynis Ross
- Emeritus Professor Dennis Yue
- Dr Lisa Simmons: H-JMO & Endocrinologist
- Dr Angela Lee: Honorary Medical Officer & PhD student
- Dr Tim Middleton: Honorary Medical Officer & PhD student
- Associate Professor Belinda Brooks: Team Leader of Research & Clinical Trials
- Mrs Maria Constantino: Data Manager
- Ms Lynda Molyneaux: Statistician
- Associate Professor Jane Overland: Nurse Practitioner
- Associate Professor Marg McGill: Assistant Director Diabetes Centre
- Ms Ellen Landy, Ms Amanda Gauld, & Ms Charmaine Griffiths, Ms Rebecca Denner: Research nurses Study Coordinators
- Dr Turki Almogbel: Visiting Fellow, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- A/Prof Elizabeth Chua: Director Endocrinology & Metabolism Centre
- Dr Ash Gargya: Staff Specialist
- Dr Nimalie Perera: Honorary Medical Officer
- Dr Albert Hsieh: Honorary Medical Officer & PhD student
- Dr Arianne Sweeting: PhD student
- Ms Julie Hetherington: Nurse Practitioner, CNC, Endocrinology & Metabolism Centre
- Ms Krisztina Toth: RN, Endocrinology & Metabolism Centre
- Dr Catherine Woolnough: RPAH hospital scientist
- A/Prof. Tania Markovic: Director Metabolism and Obesity Services
- Ms Elisia Manson: CNC, Metabolism and Obesity Services
- Dr Janet Franklin
- Ms Georgina Loughnan
- Dr Victoria Rudland, (PhD, Heterogeneity of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus, University of Sydney), Supervisors: Professor DK Yue, A/Prof J Wong, A/Prof GP Ross.
- Dr Agata Piotrowicz (PhD, Type 1 diabetes and exercise randomised controlled trial (T1-EXstudy), University of Sydney), Supervisors: Professor SM Twigg, A/Prof MJ McGill.
- Dr Kathryn H. Williams (PhD, The Clinical Relevance of Non-invasive Measures of Liver Health and Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) in Diabetes Mellitus). Supervisors: Professor SM Twigg, A/Prof Mark Gorrell, A/Prof B Brooks, Professor A Keech, A/Prof N Shackel Awarded 2016.
- Dr Angela Lee (PhD, Type 1 Diabetes and Exercise, University of Sydney) Supervisors Professor SM Twigg, A/Prof J Wong, Professor J Flack, Professor A Keech.
- Ms Maria Constantino (PhD Supervisors A/Prof J Wong, Professor Emeritus DK Yue).
- Dr Albert Hsieh, (PhD, Antibody-mediated endocrine diseases, University of Sydney) Supervisors: Prof SM Twigg, A/P EL Chua, A/Prof SV McLennan, A/Prof PF Williams, A/Prof S Adelstein.
- Dr Tripti Joshi, (PhD,Thyroid cancer in New Caledonia, University of Sydney) Supervisors: A/P EL Chua, Prof S McLennan.
- Sergio Martinez Huenchullan, (PhD, Muscle extracellular matrix, its role in muscle function in obesity, University of Sydney) Supervisors: Prof SM Twigg, Dr Charmaine Tam, A/Prof S McLennan.
- Surya Sutanto, (PhD, Telomere length attrition in diabetes: exploring associations and cellular mechanisms, University of Sydney) Supervisors: Prof S Twigg, A/Prof S McLennan, Prof Anthony Keech.
- Maryam Abdollahi, (PhD, Role of Neutrophil gelatinase associated Lipocalin-2 in poor wound healing in diabetes, University of Sydney) Supervisors: A/Prof S McLennan, Dr D Min.
- Linda Ban, (PhD, Microvesicles and their role in liver disease in diabetes, University of Sydney) Supervisors: A/Prof S McLennan, A/Prof N Shackel.
- Aimei Lee, (PhD, The glycoprotein Basigin in liver disease, University of Sydney) Supervisors: A/Prof N Shackel , A/Prof S McLennan, Dr T Tu.
- Wen Chao William Song, (Action and Mechanism of Connective Tissue Growth Factor in Fat Cells, University of Sydney) Supervisors: Prof. SM.Twigg, Dr X Wang.
- Jing Ren (PhD, Targeting non-alcoholic steatohepatitis induced by high fat feeding and type 2 diabetes in a preclinical model) University of Sydney) Supervisors: Prof. SM Twigg, Dr X Wang.
- Babu Maharjan (PhD, Impact of inflammatory process and growth factors on visceral adipocyte (VA) and subcutaneous adipocyte (SA) development in insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2D). University of Sydney), Supervisors: A/Prof Paul Williams, A/Prof S Mclennan, Prof SM Twigg.
- Amber Xie, (PhD, The potential role of ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme 2C in prostate cancer biology, University of Western Sydney) A/Prof Q Dong, Dr Mu Yao ,
- Mais Hussein, Master of Nutr/Diet, Validation of an electronic tool: Electronic Nutrition Literacy Tool (e-NutLit), to assess nutrition literacy in adult Australians, University of Sydney, Supervisors: Dr Helen O'Connor, Dr Janelle Gifford, Dr Janet Franklin, Associate Professor Gareth Denyer, Dr Tania Prvan, Wendy Stuart Smith.
- Dr Timothy Middleton (M Phil, QT Interval Abnormalities in Sulfonylurea Treated Type 2 Diabetes: Relationship to Treatment Induced Hypoglycaemia and Glycaemic Variability Determined by Simultaneous Ambulatory Monitoring, University of Sydney) Supervisors: A/Professor J Wong, Professor SM Twigg.
- Rebecca Seehoo, (Masters, Inflammation and diabetic kidney disease, University of Sydney), Supervisors: A/Prof S McLennan, Dr D Min.
- Taria Ng, (Masters, Matrix metalloproteinases and poor wound healing in diabetes, University of Sydney) Supervisors: A/Prof S McLennan, A/Prof N Shackel.
- Joanne Malek, (Masters, miRNA and Papillary Thyroid Cancer, University of Sydney) Supervisors: A/Prof S McLennan, A/Prof M Elliott, A/Prof E Chua
- Chao Wang, (Masters, Simple biometric scaffolds to improve healing in diabetic wounds, University of Sydney) Supervisors: A/Prof S McLennan, Dr Phil Boughton.
- Luisa Olaya, (Masters, Detection of Circulating Fetal miRNA and their potential use as biomarkers of fetal anomalies) Supervisors: A/Prof J Hyett, A/Prof S McLennan.
Publications and Presentations
- Williams KH, Viera de Ribeiro AJ, Prakoso E, Veillard AS, Shackel NA, Bu Y, Brooks B, Cavanagh E, Raleigh J, McLennan SV, McCaughan GW, Bachovchin WW, Keane FM, Zekry A, Twigg SM, Gorrell MD. Lower serum fibroblast activation protein shows promise in the exclusion of clinically significant liver fibrosis due to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in diabetes and obesity. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015;108 (3):466-72.
- Williams KH, Vieira de Ribeiro AJ, Prakoso E, Veillan AS, Shackel NA, Brooks B, Bu Y, Cavanagh E, Raleigh J, McLennan SV, McCaughan GW, Keane FM, Zekry A, Gorrell MD, Twigg SM. Circulating dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity correlates with measures of hepatocyte apoptosis and fibrosis in non-alcoholic fatty liver in type 2 diabetes mellitus and obesity: A dual cohort cross-sectional study. J Diabetes 2015; 7(6):809-819.
- Lee AS, Brooks BA, Simmons L, Kilborn MJ, Wong J, Twigg SM & Yue DK. Hypoglycaemia and QT interval prolongation: detection by simultaneous Holter and continuous glucose monitoring. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016; 113: 211-214.
- Alharbi TJ, Constantino MI, Molyneaux L, Wu T, Twigg SM, Yue DK and Wong J. Analysis of data collected from an Australian Multi-ethnic cohort over a 25 year period. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2015; 107 : 130-138.
- Wong J, Constantino M, Yue DK. Morbidity and mortality in young-onset type 2 diabetes in comparison to type 1 diabetes: Where are we now? Curr Diab Rep. 2015; 15(1):566.
- Rudland VL, Hinchcliffe M, Pinner J, Cole S, Mercorella B, Molyneaux L, Constantino M, Yue DK, Ross GP, Wong J. Identifying Glucokinase Monogenic Diabetes in a Multiethnic Gestational Diabetes Mellitus Cohort: New Pregnancy Screening Criteria and Utility of HbA1c. Diabetes Care. 2016;39(1):50-2.
- Constantino MI, Al-Saeed AH, Molyneaux L et al. An inverse Relationship Between Age of Type 2 Diabetes Onset and Complication Risk and Mortality : The Impact of Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2016, 9(5) : 823-829.
- Nube VN, FrankG, White J, Nannery S, Pfrunder L, Twigg SM, McLennan S. Hard to heal diabetes-related foot ulcers: current challenges and future prospects. Chronic Wound Care Management and Research. In Press.
- Ross GP, Falhammar H, Chen R, Barraclough H, Kleivenes O, Gallen I. Relationship between depression and diabetes in pregnancy: A systematic review. World J Diabetes 2016; In Press.
- Kizirian NV, Markovic TP, Muirhead R, Brodie S, Garnett SP, Louie JCY Petocz P, Ross GP, Brand-Miller JC. Macronutrient Balance and Dietary Glycemic Index in Pregnancy Predict Neonatal Body Composition. Nutrients. 2016; 8, 270.
- Flack JR, Ross GP. Survey on testing for gestational diabetes mellitus in Australia. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol. 2016; 55(1):3-10.
- Sweeting AN, Ross GP, Hyett J, Molyneaux L, Constantino M, Harding AJ, Wong J. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in Early Pregnancy: Evidence for Poor Pregnancy Outcomes Despite Treatment. Diabetes Care. 2016 Jan;39(1):75-81.
- Markovic TP, Muirhead R, Overs S, Ross GP, Louie JC, Kizirian N, Denyer G, Petocz P, Hyett J, Brand-Miller JC. Randomized Controlled Trial Investigating the Effects of a Low-Glycemic Index Diet on Pregnancy Outcomes in Women at High Risk of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: The GI Baby 3 Study. Diabetes Care. 2016 Jan; 39(1):31-8.
- Louie JC, Markovic TP, Ross GP, Foote D, Brand-Miller JC. Effect of a low glycaemic index diet in gestational diabetes mellitus on post-natal outcomes after 3 months of birth: a pilot follow-up study. Matern Child Nutr. 2015 Jul;11(3):409-14.
- Rudland VL, Pech C, Harding AJ, Tan K, Lee K, Molyneaux L, Yue DK, Wong J, Ross GP. Zinc transporter 8 autoantibodies: what is their clinical relevance in gestational diabetes? Diabet Med. 2015. Mar;32(3):359-66.
- Alharbi TJ, Constantino MI, Molyneaux L, Wu T, Twigg SM, Yue DK, Wong J Ethnic specific differences in survival of patients with type 2 diabetes: analysis of data collected from an Australian multi-ethnic cohort over a 25 year period. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015 Jan;107(1):130-8.
- Caillaud C, Mechta M, Ainge H, Madsen AN, Ruell P, Mas E, Bisbal C, Mercier J, Twigg S, Mori TA, Simar D, Barrès R. Chronic erythropoietin treatment improves diet-induced glucose intolerance in rats. J Endocrinol. 2015;225(2):77-88. doi: 10.1530/JOE-15-0010.
- Henshaw FR, Boughton P, Lo L, McLennan SV, Twigg SM. Topically applied connective tissue growth factor/CCN2 improves diabetic preclinical cutaneous wound healing: potential role for CTGF in human diabetic foot ulcer healing. J Diabetes Res. 2015;2015:236238. doi: 10.1155/2015/236238.
- Rhou YJ, Henshaw FR, McGill MJ, Twigg SM. Congestive heart failure presence predicts delayed healing of foot ulcers in diabetes: An audit from a multidisciplinary high-risk foot clinic. J Diabetes Complications. 2015 May-Jun;29(4):556-62. doi: 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2015.02.009.
- Twigg SM, Wong J. The imperative to prevent diabetes complications: a broadening spectrum and an increasing burden despite improved outcomes. Med J Aust. 2015 Apr 6;202(6):300-4.
- Lee AS, Twigg SM. A mitotic cause of Whipple's triad: non-islet cell tumour hypoglycaemia in incurable low-grade malignancy. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 May 6; 2015. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2014-209021.
- Pham-Short A, Donaghue KC, Ambler G, Phelan H, Twigg S, Craig ME Screening for Celiac Disease in Type 1 Diabetes: A Systematic Review. Pediatrics. 2015 Jul;136 (1):e170-6.
- Lee AS, Twigg SM. Opioid-induced secondary adrenal insufficiency presenting as hypercalcaemia. Endocrinol Diabetes Metab Case Rep. 2015;2015:150035. doi: 10.1530/EDM-15-0035. Epub 2015 Jun 18. PMID:26161260.
- Williams KH, Burns K, Constantino M, Shackel NA, Prakoso E, Wong J, Wu T, George J, McCaughan GW, Twigg SM. An association of large-fibre peripheral nerve dysfunction with non-invasive measures of liver fibrosis secondary to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in diabetes. J Diabetes Complications. 2015 Jul 3. pii: S1056-8727(15)00268-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2015.06.015. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:26297218].
- Williams KH, Sullivan DR, Veillard AS, O'Brien R, George J, Jenkins AJ, Young S, Ehnholm C, Duffield A, Twigg SM, Keech AC. Low alanine aminotransferase levels and higher number of cardiovascular events in people with Type 2 diabetes: analysis of the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) study. Diabet Med. 2015 Oct 3. doi: 10.1111/dme.12972. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:26433207].
- Yeap BB, Knuiman MW, Divitini ML, Hui J, Arscott GM, Handelsman DJ, McLennan SV, Twigg SM, McQuillan B, Hung J, Beilby JP. Epidemiological and Mendelian Randomization Studies of Dihydrotestosterone and Estradiol and Leukocyte Telomere Length in Men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016 Mar;101(3):1299-306.
- Min D, Brooks B, Wong J, Aamidor S, Seehoo R, Sutanto S, Harrisberg B, Yue DK, Twigg SM, McLennan SV Monocyte CD163 is altered in association with diabetic complications: possible protective role. J Leukoc Biol. 2016 Jun 27. PMID: 27354410.
- Januszewski AS, Sutanto SS, McLennan S, O'Neal DN, Keech AC, Twigg SM, Jenkins AJ. Shorter telomeres in adults with Type 1 diabetes correlate with diabetes duration, but only weakly with vascular function and risk factors. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016 Jul;117:4-11. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2016.04.040. Epub 2016 Apr 27. PMID: 27329016.
- Williams KH, Sullivan DR, Nicholson GC, George J, Jenkins AJ, Januszewski AS, Gebski VJ, Manning P, Tan YM, Donoghoe MW, Ehnholm C, Young S, O'Brien R, Buizen L, Twigg SM, Keech AC. Opposite associations between alanine aminotransferase and γ-glutamyl transferase levels and all-cause mortality in type 2 diabetes: Analysis of the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) study. Metabolism. 2016 May;65(5):783-93.
- Al-Saeed AH, Constantino MI, Molyneaux L, D'Souza M, Limacher-Gisler F, Luo C, Wu T, Twigg SM, Yue DK, Wong J. An Inverse Relationship Between Age of Type 2 Diabetes Onset and Complication Risk and Mortality: The Impact of Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2016;39 (5):823-9. PMID: 27006511.
- McGill M, Felton AM for the Global Partnership. Treatment urgency: the importance of getting people with type 2 diabetes to target promptly. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 2016; 117:100-103
- Eh K, McGill M, Wong J, Krass I. Cultural issues and other factors that affect self-management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) by Chinese immigrants in Australia. Submitted Diabetes Research and Clinical.
- Lee AST, Perera NJ, Chua EL. Hypoadrenalism secondary to topical corticosteroid-containing skin-lightening cream: danger of over-the-counter cosmetic agents. Medical Journal of Australia. 2015; 203(7):287.
- Lam T, Chan M, Sweeting AN, De Sousa SMC, Clements A, Carlino MS, Long GV, Tonks K, Chua E, Kefford RF, Chipps D. Ipilimumab-induced hypophysitis in melanoma patients: An Australian case series. Internal Medicine Journal. 2015; 45(10):1066-1073.
- Sweeting AN, Chua EL. Hypopituitarism: recognising new causes and reducing complications. Endocrinology Today. 2015; 4(2):14-20.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Franklin J, Markovic TP, Byrne N, Manson E, Caterson ID, & Sainsubry A. Slow versus fast weight loss: development process and rationale of the dietary interventions for the TEMPO Diet Trial - under second review- Obesity Science & Practice.
- Ringland. EM, Gifford.JA, Denyer. GS, Thai. D, Franklin. JL, Stevenson. MM, Prvan. T, and O'Connor. HT Evaluation of an electronic tool to assess food label literacy in adult Australians: A pilot study. Nutrition & Dietetics Journal of the Dietetic Association of Australia; 2016 First published online 15 March 2016.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Lee CMY, Ayre J, Franklin J, Markovic TP, Caterson ID & Sainsbury A. Do ketogenic diets really suppress appetite? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Obesity Reviews; 2015; 16(1): 64-76.
- Fuller NR, Sainsbury A, Caterson ID, Denyer G, Fong M, Gerofi J, Williams KH, Lau NS, Markovic TP. The effect of a high-egg diet on cardiovascular risk factors in people with type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes and Egg (DIABEGG) study-a 3-mo randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2015 ; DOI 10.3945/ajcn.114.096925.
- Markovic TP, Muirhead R, Overs S, Ross GP, Louie J, Denyer G, Petocz P, Hyett J, Brand-Miller J. Randomized controlled trial investigating the effects of a low-glycaemic index diet on pregnancy outcomes in women at high risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: the GI baby 3 study. Diabetes Care, 2015, DOI:10.2337/dc15-0572.
- Fuller NR, Sainsbury A, Caterson ID, Markovic TP. Review: Egg consumption and human cardio-metabolic health in people with and without diabetes. Nutrients, 2015, 7 (9): 7399-420.
- Sweeting AN, Hocking SL, Markovic TP. Invited submission: Pharmacotherapy for the treatment of obesity. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 2015, 418 Pt 2: 173-83.
- Tam CS, Power JE, Markovic TP, Yee C, Morsch M, McLennan SV, Twigg SM. The effects of high-fat feeding on physical function and skeletal muscle extracellular matrix. Nutr Diabetes. 2015 Dec 14;5:e187. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2015.39. PubMed PMID: 26657013.
- Tu T, Calabro SR, Lee A, Maczurek AE, Budzinska MA, Warner FJ, McLennan SV, Shackel NA. Hepatocytes in liver injury: Victim, bystander, or accomplice in progressive fibrosis? J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 Dec;30(12):1696-704. doi:10.1111/jgh.13065. PubMed PMID: 26239824.
- Duly AM, Alani B, Huang EY, Yee C, Haber PS, McLennan SV, Seth D. Effect of multiple binge alcohol on diet-induced liver injury in a mouse model of obesity. Nutr Diabetes. 2015 Apr 27;5:e154. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2015.4. PubMed PMID:25915743.
- Song WW, McLennan SV, Tam C, Williams PF, Baxter RC, Twigg SM. CCN2 requires TGF-β signalling to regulate CCAAT/enhancer binding proteins and inhibit fat cell differentiation. J Cell Commun Signal. 2015 Mar;9(1):27-36. doi: 10.1007/s12079-014-0252-8. Epub 2014 Oct 30. PubMed PMID: 25354561.
- Lee AS, Twigg SM. Opioid-induced secondary adrenal insufficiency presenting ashypercalcaemia. Endocrinol Diabetes Metab Case Rep. 2015;2015:150035. doi: 10.1530/EDM-15-0035. Epub 2015 Jun 18. PubMed PMID: 26161260.
- Lee AS, Twigg SM. A mitotic cause of Whipple's triad: non-islet cell tumour hypoglycaemia in incurable low-grade malignancy. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 May 6;2015. pii: bcr2014209021. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2014-209021. PubMed PMID: 25948850.
- Hsieh A, Twigg SM. The enigma of the dead-in-bed syndrome: challenges in predicting and preventing this devastating complication of type 1 diabetes. J Diabetes Complications. 2014 Sep-Oct;28(5):585-7. doi:10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2014.04.005. Epub 2014 Apr 18. Review. PubMed PMID: 24972763.
- Lawandi J, Tao C, Ren B, Williams P, Ling D, Swan MA, Nassif NT, Torpy FR, O'Brien BA, Simpson AM. Reversal of diabetes following transplantation of an insulin-secreting human liver cell line: Melligen cells. Mol Ther Methods Clin.Dev. 2015 Apr 8;2:15011. PubMed PMID:26029722.
- Richards A, Herbst U, Manalang J, Pather S, Saidi S, Tejada-Berges T, Tan K, Williams P, Carter J. HE4, CA125, the Risk of Malignancy Algorithm and the Risk of Malignancy Index and complex pelvic masses - a prospective comparison in the pre-operative evaluation of pelvic masses in an Australian population. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2015 Oct;55(5):493-7. PubMed PMID: 26172511.
- Park F, Russo K, Williams P, Pelosi M, Puddephatt R, Walter M, Leung C, Saaid R, Rawashdeh H, Ogle R, Hyett J. Prediction and prevention of early-onset pre-eclampsia: impact of aspirin after first-trimester screening. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Oct;46(4):419-23. PubMed PMID: 25678383.
- Gamsjaeger R, Kariawasam R, Gimenez AX, Touma C, McIlwain E, Bernardo RE, Shepherd NE, Ataide SF, Dong Q, Richard DJ, White MF, Cubeddu L. The structural basis of DNA binding by the single stranded DNA binding protein from Sulfolobus solfataricus. Biochem J. 2015 Jan 15;465(2):337-46.
- Hua S, Vignarajan S, Yao M, Xie C , Dong Q. AKT and cytosolic phospholipase A2α form a positive loop in prostate cancer cells. Current cancer drug target 2015;15(9):781-91.
- Meng XX, Yao M, Zhang XD, Xu HX, Dong Q. ER stress-induced autophagy in melanoma. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2015 Aug;42(8):811-6. doi: 10.1111/1440-1681.12436.
- Choi JP, Desai R, Zheng Y, Yao M, Dong Q, Watson G, Handelsman DJ, Simanainen U. Androgen actions via androgen receptor promote PTEN inactivation induced uterine cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2015 Oct;22(5):687-701. doi: 10.1530/ERC-15-0203.
- Hnit SS, Xie C, Yao M, Holst J, Bensoussan A, De Souza P, Li Z, Dong Q. p27Kip1 signaling: Transcriptional and post-translational regulation. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2015 Aug 14;68:9-14. doi: 10.1016/j.biocel.2015.08.005. [Epub ahead of print].
- Yao M, Xie C, Kiang MY, Teng Y, Harman D, Tiffen J, Wang Q, Sved P, Bao S, Witting P, Holst J, Dong Q. Targeting of cytosolic phospholipase A2α impedes cell cycle re-entry of quiescent prostate cancer cells. Oncotarget. 2015 Oct 27;6(33):34458-74. doi:10.18632/oncotarget.5277.
- Bezerra S, Maia Moura EH, Park F, Murthi P, Martins WP. Kane SC, Williams PF, Hyett J, Da Silva Costa F, TYNF-R1 as first trimester marker for prediction of pre-eclampsia.
- Park F, Russo K, Williams PF, Pelosi M, Puddephatt R, Walter M, Leung C,Saaid R, Rawashdeh H, Ogle R, Hyett J. Prediction of early- onset of pre- eclampsia: Impact of aspirin after first trimester screening.
- Bezerra S, Park F, Murthi P, Martins WP, Cane S, Williams PF, Hyett J, Da Silva Costa F, Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology 01/2015; 46:135-135, DOII:10.1002/2uog.15352. 3.5 impact factor.
- A/Prof Glynis Ross, Diabetes NSW Plan for the Best Start Webinar, May 2015 (http://www.webcasts.com.au/diabetesnsw210515)
- A/Prof Glynis Ross, ADEA Guiding Principles for Sick Day Management, Nov 2015 (learning.adea.com.au)
- A/Prof Glynis Ross, Sick Day Management for People with type 1 Diabetes, Nov 2015 (learning.adea.com.au)
- Dr Ted Wu and A/Prof Marg McGill. Optimising Diabetes Treatment -
- Do No Harm! June 2016 (http://www.msdonline.com.au/profile/_layouts/MercKRegistration/AU/deeplogin.aspx)
- A/Prof Jencia Wong and A/Prof Marg McGill. My patient is not at target what can I do? April 2016 (http://www.msdonline.com.au/profile/_layouts/MercKRegistration/AU/deeplogin.aspx)
- American Egg Board Meeting - Nutrition Committee, Chicago, USA, 2015, "The DIABEGG study - 12 month results" Oct 2016.
- Dr Kathryn Williams and Prof Stephen Twigg. Diabetes complications and non-glycaemic risk factor management. 8th September, 2015 MSD sponsored.
- Ross GP. NDSS Plan for the Best Start Seminar, Sydney 2016.
- Ross GP. Update on Diabetes and Pregnancy for New England Medicare Local, Armidale. 2015.
- Ross GP. Gestational diabetes: who to and how to screen. MJA CPD seminar on Addressing the challenges in the fast moving field of endocrinology. Sydney 2016. (seminar speaker).
- Ross GP. Pre-conception Counselling for Women with pre-Gestational Diabetes: Why, when, what and how? MSD Masterclass on Pregnancy Planning for NSW Advanced Trainees in Endocrinology. Sydney 2015.
- Ross GP. Pregnancy & GCK-MODY. 2015 NSW/ACT Novo Nordisk Endocrine Weekend, Terrigal, 2015.
- Twigg SM. Dead in Bed Syndrome. Australian Diabetes Society ASM Symposium 2015.
- Constantino M. Youth onset type 2 Diabetes . International Diabetes Federation World Congress Vancouver 2015.
- Wong J. Should research be driven by the global needs of those with diabetes. International Diabetes Federation World Congress Vancouver 2015.
- Wong J. Gestational Diabetes in Australia. International Diabetes Congress Shijiazhuang China 2016.
- Wong J From the Benign to the Dangerous: Lessons from the Clinic on Diabetes in Youth. Concord Hospital 2016.
- Wong J .Diabetes in Youth. Association of School Nurses. Cranbrook School April 2016.
- Wong J and Wu T SLHD & CESPHN Collaborative Practical Symposium for GPs June 2016.
- Wong J. Chair P Home: Insulin therapy in type 2 diabetes: advantages, barriers and alternatives. Satellite meeting American Diabetes Association 2015 Boston, USA.
- Hsieh A, Ross GP. Endocrine Emergency. RPAH Acute Medicine Seminar. November 2015.
- Hsieh A. Outpatient Antenatal Management. Diabetes in Pregnancy SCORPIO. Sydney Local Health District. May & November 2015.
- Markovic TP. Hypogonadism in PWS. Asia Pacific Prader-Willi Syndrome Conference, Melbourne, 2015.
- Markovic TP. Obesity: A national epidemic. Bariatric Workshop for Occupational Therapists, Sydney, 2015.
- Markovic TP. The Edmononton Staging System and Metabolic Disease. Australian New Zealand Obesity Society ASM, Melbourne, 2015.
- Twigg SM. Diabetes and NAFLD: A pathogenic duo. International Gastroenterology Conference Brisbane, 2015. (symposium speaker)
- Twigg SM. Diabetes and Foot Disease. International Diabetes Federation, WPR/AASD conference, Kyoto 2016. (Keynote speaker).
- Twigg SM. Diabetes complications. National Diabetes Institute meeting, in K.L., Malaysia, 2016. (keynote speaker)
- Twigg SM. Dead in bed syndrome. Australian Diabetes Society ASM Adelaide 2015. (symposium speaker).
- Twigg SM New technology in diabetes and foot disease. 15th Annual Diabetes Technology meeting in 2015 in Bethesda, Maryland, USA. (symposium speaker).
- Twigg SM. Fibrotic complications in diabetes. Australasian Association of Clinical Biochemists (AACB) Annual Scientific Meeting, Sydney 2015. (symposium speaker)
- Twigg SM. CCNs in Diabetic Complications. 8th International CCN Workshop on the CCN family of proteins and genes.
- Loughnan G (1) Ageing in Prader-Willi Syndrome and the Importance of Exercise 2) IPWSO and Famcare. Presentations to the 3rd Asia Pacific Prader-Willi Syndrome Conference, Melbourne, April 2015.
- Brooks B, Lee A, Simmons L, Kilborn M, Wong J, Twigg SM, Yue DK. Simultaneous Holter and continuous glucose monitoring to study the effects of glucose fluctuations on QT prolongation. American Diabetes Association, 75th Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
- Brooks B, Middleton T, Constantino M, Wu T, Yue DK, Wong J. Parental history and age of onset of type 2 diabetes: the role of paternal factors in young onset type 2 diabetes (YT2D). American Diabetes Association, 76th Annual Scientific Meeting 2016.
- Middleton T, Molyneaux L, Brooks B, Yue D, Twigg S, Wong J, Wu T. Cardiac Effects of Sulfonylurea-related Hypoglycemia: increased QT dynamicity and ectopy. American Diabetes Association, 76th Annual Scientific Sessions 2016.
- Rudland VL, Ross GP, Hinchcliffe M, Pinner J, Cole S, Mercorella B, Molyneaux L, Constantino MI, Yue DK, Wong J. New Screening Criteria for Glucokinase Monogenic Diabetes in Pregnancy: Performance in a Multiethnic Cohort. American Diabetes Association, 75th Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
- Tabet EJ, Sullivan D, Ross GP, Hsieh A, Twigg SM. A deceptive triad: Severe Hypertriglyceridemia, Pancreatitis and Diabetic Ketoacidosis in a young Type 2 Diabetes patient. American Diabetes Association, 75th Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
- Rudland VL, Ross GP, Hinchcliffe M, Pinner J, Cole S, Mercorella B, Molyneaux L, Constantino MI, Yue DK, Wong J Is HbA1c Useful in Distinguishing Glucokinase Monogenic Diabetes from Gestational Diabetes? American Diabetes Association, 75th Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
- Sweeting AN, Ross GP, Hyett J, Molyneaux L, Constantino M, Wong J. Gestational Diabetes In Early Pregnancy: Evidence For Poor Pregnancy Outcomes Despite Treatment, International Diabetes Federation World Diabetes Congress, Vancouver 2015.
- Harding AJ, Sweeting AN, Molyneaux L, Tan K, Constantino M, Yue DK, Wong J, Ross GP. An HbA1c > 5.5% at GDM Diagnosis Identifies Women at Higher Risk of Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes in a Multi Ethnic Cohort. The 8th International DIP Symposium: Diabetes, Hypertension, Metabolic Syndrome & Pregnancy, Berlin 2015.
- Ross G, Barraclough H, Chen R, Falhammar H, Kleivenes O, Gallen I. Depression In Women With Diabetes During Pregnancy: A Systematic Review. The 8th International DIP Symposium: Diabetes, Hypertension, Metabolic Syndrome & Pregnancy, Berlin 2015.
- Piotrowicz AK, McGill M, Overland J, Molyneaux L, Twigg SM. An On-line Support Tool That Reduces Exercise-Related Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes IDF WDC Vancouver, December, 2015.
- Piotrowicz AK, McGill M, Overland J, Molyneaux L, Twigg SM. An On-line Learning Tool in Type 1 Diabetes That Reduces Exercise-Related Hypoglycemia Including Nocturnal Episodes. American Diabetes Association, 76th Annual Scientific Meeting 2016.
- McGill M. Pre satellite symposium of the Global Partnership, IDF Global Diabetes Congress, Vancouver 2015.
- McGill M. Diabetes and the Elderly. The Shijiazhuang Second Hospital, Hebei Province China 2016.
- Tanamas SK1, Silver Bahendeka2, Chern-En Chiang3, Juan Jose Gagliardino4, Sanjay Kalra5, Andrea Luk6, Hiroshi Maegawa7, Ayesha A Motala8, A Ramachandran9, Khaled Tayeb10, Olga Vikulova11, Jencia Wong12, Filip Surmont13, Jonathan E Shaw1 Glucose-lowering and cardiovascular medication use outside W Europe and N America from 2006-2012. American Diabetes Association, 75th Annual Scientific Meeting 2015.
- Gargya A, Tabet E and Chua EL. Papillary Thyroid Microcarcinoma: Is smaller really better? International Thyroid Congress, Orlando, Florida 2015.
- Hsieh A, Adelstein S, McLennan S, Williams PF, Twigg SM and Chua EL. Liver Enzymes Changes and Treatment of Hyperthyroidism in Graves' Disease: Is Common Belief Incorrect. International Thyroid Congress, Orlando, Florida 2015.
- Hsieh A, Twigg SM and Chua EL. Changing trends in diagnostic methods for Graves' disease: Is an immunological diagnosis preferred? The Endocrine Society Annual Meeting, San Diego, USA, 2015.
- Hsieh A, Aldestein S, McLennan S, Williams PF, Twigg SM and Chua EL. Recurrence of Graves' Disease is predicted by lower patient age at initial diagnosis: Implications for care. The Endocrine Society Annual Meeting, San Diego, USA, 2015.
- Tabet EJ, Lee AST, Chua EL and Twigg SM. Opioid-Induced Transient Secondary Hypoadrenalism: Are Some Clinically Significant Cases Being Overlooked? The Endocrine Society Annual Meeting, San Diego, USA, 2015.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Tam CS, Markovic TP, Franklin J, Byrne N, Caterson ID & Sainsbury A. Fast but not slow weight loss reduces resting energy expenditure independently of body mass loss, Obesity Week, Los Angeles, United States of America, 2-7th November 2015.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Lee CMY, Byrne NM, Markovic TP, Franklin J, Caterson ID & Sainsbury A. The less you eat, the more you move? Paradoxical findings on non-supervised physical activity with slow versus fast weight loss: The TEMPO Diet Trial, ISBPNA, 3-6th June 2015: Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Tam CS, Markovic TP, Franklin J, Byrne N, Caterson ID & Sainsbury A. Fast but not slow weight loss reduces resting energy expenditure independently of body mass loss, Obesity Week, Los Angeles, United States of America, 2-7th November 2015.
- Picone, T, Franklin, J., Manson, E1., Loughnan, G1., Markovic, T1. Is dietary restraint deserving of its poor reputation in obesity management? European Congress on Obesity (ECO) 6-9th May 2015 Prague Czech Republic.
- Maharjan BR, Twigg SM, Yee C, McLennan SV, Williams PF. Investigating the effect of high fat diet on different fat depot gene expression: is there A stable reference gene? The 2015 Obesity Summit, London, April, 2015.
- Martinez-Huenchullan SF, Power JE, Yee C, Morsch M, McLennan SV, Twigg SM, Tam CS. Assessment of neuro-muscular function tests in mouse models of obesity and diabetes. XXII World Congress of Neurology, Santiago, 2015.
- Middleton T, Constantino M, Molyneaux L, McGill M, Zhang X, Xu Z, Zou L, Zhu J, Wong J, Yue D, Wu T. A Sino-Australian Study of Technology Access, Age and Attitudes toward Digital Communication: Implications for Telehealth. Australian Diabetes Society ASM (Poster) Adelaide 2015.
- Tabet E, Constantino M, Wu T, Wong J, Yue DK. The Triple O Study (Outside ophthalmologist and Optometrist Study). Australian Diabetes Society ASM Melbourne 2015.
- Constantino M, Molyneaux L, Wu T, Twigg SM, Wong J, Yue DK. The use of systematic data collection on retinopathy to assess prior glycaemic control: Australian Diabetes Society ASM Melbourne 2015.
- Houvardas E, Audehm R, Farrell K, Hendrieckx C, King N, Morrison M, Nankervis A, Ross GP, Scibilia R. The development of a pregnancy and diabetes website for women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The Australian Diabetes Educators Association ASM, Adelaide 2015.
- Morrison M, Audehm R, Farrell K, Hendrieckx C, Houvardas E, King N, Nankervis A, Ross GP, Scibilia R. The NDSS contraception, pregnancy and diabetes survey of health professionals. The Australian Diabetes Educators Association ASM, Adelaide 2015.
- Ross G, Barraclough H, Chen R, Falhammar H, Kleivenes O, Gallen I. Depression in Women with Diabetes During Pregnancy: A Systematic Review. The Australian Diabetes Educators Association ASM, Adelaide 2015.
- Morrison, M; Hendrieckx, C; Audehm, R; Farrell, K; Houvardas, E; King, N; Nankervis, A; Ross, GP; Scibilia, R Pre-pregnancy care in women with diabetes: understanding the reasons why women do and don't attend. Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society ASM, Adelaide, 2015.
- Piotrowicz AK, McGill M, Overland J, Molyneaux L, Twigg SM. An On-line Support Tool Reduces Exercise-Related Hypoglycaemia and Improves Confidence to Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes. Australian Diabetes Society ASM Melbourne 2015.
- McGill M, Jones A, Serafimov S, Molyneaux L, Constantino M, Moore M, Wu T, Wong J. Tackling the burden of youth onset Type 2 diabetes: a pilot collaborative study in tertiary and primary care settings Australian Diabetes Society ASM Adelaide 2015.
- McGill M. Rural Linkages to Tertiary Centres. National Association of Diabetes Centres Annual Meeting Sydney 2015.
- Constantino M Molyneaux, L Wu T, Yue,D Wong J Mortality in Type 1 Diabetes is Increased in the Presence of the Metabolic Syndrome, but Remains Lower than in Young Onset Type 2 Diabetes. Australian Diabetes Society ASM Melbourne 2015.
- Hetherington J, Gargya A, Hsieh A, Chua EL. Parachutes to prevention - A Conceptual Change in Acute Adrenal Insufficiency Education. Annual Scientific Meeting Endocrine Society of Australia, Adelaide 2015.
- Arumugam D and Chua EL. Hurt in the Sternum. Annual Scientific Meeting Endocrine Society of Australia, Adelaide 2015.
- Hoffman D, Gargya A et al. 10 year trends in glycaemic control, chronic kidney disease and use of diabetic medication in patients with type 2 diabetes (T2DM) - an Australian DINGO (Diabetes Informatics Group) multicentre study of over 11,000 patients seen in private endocrine practice. Australian Diabetes Society ASM, Adelaide 2015.
- Franklin, J., Manson, E., Picone, T., Loughnan, G., Markovic, T., Are 'Importance of weight loss' and confidence in one's ability to achieve weight loss meaningful measures? ANZOS Annual Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, October 2015.
- Gibson AA, Seimon RV, Tam CS, Markovic TP, Franklin J, Byrne N, Caterson ID & Sainsbury A. Fast but not slow weight loss reduces resting energy expenditure independently of body mass loss, Obesity Week, Los Angeles, USA, November 2015.
- Franklin, J., Franklin, RC, Manson, E., Picone, T., Loughnan, G., Markovic, T, How do people with obesity perceive injury? ANZOS Annual Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, October 2015.
- Franklin, J., Manson, E., Picone, T., Loughnan, G., Markovic, T, A PWS clinic - is it worth the effort? ANZOS Annual Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, October 2015.
- Ringland, E., Gifford, JA., Denyer, GS., Thai, D., Franklin, J.,Stevenson, M., Prvan, T., & O'Connor, HT. Evaluation of an electronic tool to assess food label reading competency in adult Australians: A Pilot Study. ? The Dietitians Association of Australia 32nd National Conference, Perth, May 2015.
- Min D, Wong J, Brooks B, Rezaeizadeh A, Chen J, Aamidor S, Yee C, Harrisberg B, Twigg SM, Yue DK and McLennan SV. Monocyte Surface and soluble levels of the Hemoglobin Scavenger Receptor CD163: Possible Role in the Development of Diabetes Complications. Australian Diabetes Society ASM, Adelaide 2015.
- Tao A, Ban L, Seehoo R, Sutanto S, Maharjan B, Min D, Twigg SM, McLennan SV. Increased matrix metalloproteinase expression in kidney tissue from prediabetic but not diabetic mice: possible role in protection from matrix accumulation. Australian Diabetes Society ASM, Adelaide 2015.
- Maharjan B, Twigg SM, Yee C, McLennan SV, Williams PF. Subcutaneous adipose tissue is designed to deposit fats safely but its ability is impaired with excessive fat flux. Australian Diabetes Society ASM Adelaide 2015.
- Aamidor S, Ng T, Rezaeizadeh A, Twigg SM , Min D, McLennan SV. Neutrophil activation is induced by wounding in diabetes Abdollahi M, Australian Diabetes Society ASM Adelaide 2015.
- Yee C. Tu T. Lee A. Maczurek A. Budzinska M. McLennan SV. and Shackel N. A novel conditional knockout mouse model reveals the role of CD147 in the immune response seen in both acute and chronic liver injury. Australian Liver Association, Bowral 2015.
- Cheng R, Ban L, Tu T, McCaughan G, McLennan SV, Shackel N, Utility of Microvesicles as Plasma Biomarkers in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Australian Liver Association, Bowral 2015.
- Olaya-Agudo L, Dy V, Motwani P, Woolnough C, Tubb J, Dubourdieu D, Damiens V, McLennan SV and Chua EL. The Prevalence of BRAF V600 Mutations and its Associated Histopathology Features in Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma in New Caledonia and Australia, Endocrinology Association of Australia, Adelaide 2015.
- Williams PF, Koetsier S, Branif V, Jones G, on behalf of the RCPAQAP HbA1c Working Group.Quality of HbA1c Measurements in Australia- A Report from the RCPA QAP, Proc. AACB 53rd annual Conference, Sydney 2015.
- Williams PF, Pereria N, Twigg SM, Yen T, Insulin Assays Fit for Purpose?, Proc. AACB 53rd annual Conference, Sydney 2015 (Speaker)
- Al-Hinti M, Williams PF, Lin E; An evaluation of the Abbott Architect assay against the Abbott TDX methotrexate assay, Proc. AACB 53rd annual Conference Sydney 2015 .(Poster)
- Williams PF on behalf of the RCPAQAP HbA1c Working Group Quality of HbA1c Measurements in Australia- A report from the RCPAQAP. Abstract 75 ADS ADEA Conference (Oral Presentation) Adelaide 2015.
|Ministry of Health
||S Twigg, V Nube
||Translational Randomised Controlled Trial Addressing Wound Debridement Frequency and Healing Outcomes in Diabetic Foot Ulcers (The Diabetes Debridement Study)
|| $ 341,000
|Diabetes Australia Research Trust (DART)/Research Grants
||Wong J, Harmer A, Alison J, Ruell P, McLennan S
||Exercise impairments and effects of aerobic interval training in young-onset type 2 diabetes; Wong J, Harmer A, Alison J, Ruell P, McLennan S; Diabetes Australia Research Trust (DART)/Research Grants.
|| $ 60,000
|Sydney Medical Foundation
||Impact of inflammatory process and growth factors on Viceral adipocyte (VA) and subcutaneous adipocyte (SA) development in insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes mellitus (T2D).
|| $ 25,000
|Sydney Medical Foundation
||IT Equipment Grant for Endocrinology Research Laboratories.
|| $ 16,000
|Sydney Medical Foundation.
||Investigating the Adverse effects of Matrix Metalloproteinases in Diabetic Wound Healing
|| $ 15,000
||MG Gorrell, GW McCaughan, SM Twigg, WW Bachovchin
||DPP4 family proteases as drivers of chronic liver injury
||SM Twigg, Y Bi, S Colagiuri, N Johnson, SV McLennan
||Impact of Exercise Intervention on the Phenome (Metabolism and Predictive Complications) in Well Characterised Prediabetes and New Onset Type 2 Diabetes Cohorts in China and Australia (TheDiabeEx.JointStudy)
||N Shackel, SV McLennan, G McCaughan
||The Role of the Hepatocyte and EMMPRIN in Liver Injury
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Professor Stephen Twigg
Department/Unit: Department of Endocrinology
c/o Charles Perkins Centre, D17, Level 3 West, University of Sydney
Telephone: (02) 8627 1890
Facsimile: (02) 8627 1604