Institute of Academic Surgery (IAS)
The Institute of Academic Surgery at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA) was established in 2014 to become the primary hub of surgical research and education at RPA and aims to be at the forefront of leading surgical practice and patient care. The Institute is a collaboration between Sydney Local Health District and The University of Sydney, and is committed to ensuring a vibrant academic presence within our District.
- Awarded $2.5 million from the Premier of NSW to support the development of the first Australian centre devoted to surgical research.
- Coordinated the 81st RPA Reunion Week focused on Academic Surgery including a packed KPEC Auditorium for the special Q&A panel.
Young Researcher Award - Associate Professor Sydney Ch'ng - SLHD Research & Innovation Symposium.
Higher Degree Students:
- Professor Michael Solomon - Chair
- Professor Paul Bannon - Chair
- Ms Katie McBride - Executive Director
- Professor Jane Young - Executive Director of Research
- Associate Professor Charbel Sandroussi - Director of Clinical Research
- Dr Michael Byrom - Director of Laboratory Research
- Ms Kylie Duncan - Director of Surgical Nursing Research
- Associate Professor Christopher Young - Executive Director of Surgical Education
- Associate Professor David Storey - Director of Surgical Education
- Dr Jonathan Hong - Deputy Director of Surgical Education
- Associate Professor Sydney Ch'ng - Research Lead Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Associate Professor Sanjay Warrier - Research Lead Breast Surgery
- Associate Professor Jerome Laurence - Research Lead Transplant Surgery Senior Lecturer
- Anthony Marren - Research Lead Gynaecology
- Paul Morris - Master of Philosophy
- Vincent Vinh Gia An - Master of Philosophy
- Kate McBride - Master of Philosophy
- Solomon MJ. Innovation and New Ideas in Surgery. Where do they come from? USC Postgradute Colorectal Week, National University Hospital Singapore. 25 - 28 May 2015.
- Solomon MJ. Career in Academic Surgery. Where do good research questions come from? Royal College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress. 4 May 2015. Perth.
|HCF Research Foundation
||Michael Solomon, Katie McBride, Paul Bannon, Jane Young, Tim Lambert, Nick Glozier
||Retrospective analysis on the impact of mental health co-morbidities on key outcomes for surgical patients
|| $ 85,000
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Professor Michael Solomon
Department/Unit: Institute of Academic Surgery (IAS)
Telephone: (02) 9515 3464
Facsimile: (02) 9515 6133