Dr Cigolini will be presenting at the Australia and New Zealand Society of Palliative Medicine Conference (ANZSPM) to be held in Perth (8-11th of September 2016) a clinical audit which will be prepared for publication submission as both a poster and oral presentation, titled 'The utility of Palliative Medicine Screening Criteria (PMSC) to trigger the use of Palliative care interventions, toward influencing the quality of care of those dying in the ICU: A clinical audit of deaths in a large Australian metropolitan tertiary referral hospital ICU, and associated literature review.' conducted here at RPAH in 2015. Co-investigator was Dr Victor Sze, an advanced trainee in our department at the time.
Dr Cigolini/RPAH department have joined the Palliative Care Clinical Studies Collaborative (PaCCSC) and the Australian Lung cancer Trials Group (ALTG) an Australia wide collaborative as a site for multicentre collaborative trials, for future opportunity in involvement in multicentre clinical trials.
We have been accepted as a site for the multicentre PEARL study (NHMRC Clinical Trial) a collaboration between the ALTG and PaCCSC and the NHMRC Clinical trials Centre, University of Sydney. This is a randomised phase 3 trial of Palliative care Early in Advanced Lung Cancers. This will be going through HREC next month. Dr Cigolini will be one of the investigators for our site.
- Dr Mohabatti and Cigolini are consultants in Palliative Medicine at RPA. Dr Mohabatti was awarded the 2015 Dean's prize in research by the ANZCA.
- For submission for publication, and being presented at the 3rd Annual Palliative Care Research Conference in Melbourne on 22nd-23rd October 2015; An Audit on the End of Life Care of Adult Patients in an Australian Metropolitan Tertiary Intensive Care Unit Sze, Cigolini.
- The Department has devised a Haematology Supportive Care Plan in collaboration with the Alfred in Melbourne, piloted at RPA. We are presently applying to the ImPaCCT group for involvement in the NSW government approved clinical trials in the use of medicinal cannabis for refractory pain and nausea, and the improvement of mood in palliative patients.
We welcome JRMO's & Medical students who may interested in clinical projects with us.
- Dr Cigolini is/has been a member of the RPA/SLHD HREC committee as a professional member since 2014 to the present.
- The 2015 Dean's Prize in Research for the ANZCA was awarded to Dr Mohabatti for his research based in Iran and collaborating with the University of Shiraz.
- Dr Mohabatti was awarded a commendation for this research by OMICS International Pain Medicine Conference June, 2015.
Higher Degree Students:
- Dr Maria Cigolini
- Dr Vahid Mohabbatti
- Dr Frank Formby
- Dr Frank Formby, Palliative Care Consultant, continuing his PhD in Palliative Care Service Provision, at the University of Sydney.
Publications and Presentations
- The Cochrane Library Database of Systematic Reviews, 'Advance Care Planning for Haemodialysis Patients (Review)' has been published by Wiley press 2016,Issue7.Art.No.:CD010737 DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD010737.pub2. and on www.cochranelibrary.com Lim CED, Ng RW, Cheng NCL, Cigolini M, Kwok C, Brennan F.
- Parkooni, Amrirezdeh, Mohabbati, Gholamreza, Satisfaction with Chronic Pain Treatment, Anaesthesiology and pain Medicine 5(4): Aug 22, 2015.
- Poster presentation, '3rd Australian Palliative Care Colloquium' in Melbourne on the 22nd and 23rd of October 2015, and received a commendation. We called this 'An Audit on the End of Life Care of Adult Patients in an Australian Metropolitan Tertiary Intensive Care Unit: What is the Role of Palliative Care Services in the ICU Setting?'
- Dr Maria Cigolini, Medicinal Marijuana & Research Agendas Palliative Care NSW Annual Conference, 9th October 2015.
- Dr Maria Cigolini, Advance Care Planning in Chronic Disease NSW Rural Doctors Association 22nd May 2015.
- Dr Vahid Mohabbatti, Research presentation at the ANZCA ASM 2015 Conference, Adelaide 30 the April 2015.
- Dr Vahid Mohabbatti, An Update on Pain and Palliative Medicine in the Middle East.
- Dr Vahid Mohabbatti, OMICS Pain Medicine, Chicago USA June 2015.
- Dr Victor Sze & Dr Maria Cigolini, Audit of End of Life Care Management in a Large Tertiary Hospital ICU The 3rd Annual Australian Palliative Care Research Conference, Melbourne Victoria, 22-23rd October 2015.
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Dr Maria C Cigolini
Department/Unit: Palliative Care
Telephone: (02) 9515 7755
Facsimile: (02) 9515 7464