- Outcomes based research in Transplantation surgery
- Application of evidence-based approaches to HPB and transplantation surgery through systematic review, meta-analysis and decision analysis
- Pancreas transplantation
- Molecular biology and experimental microsurgery
- The BEST-Fluids Study: Better Evidence for Selecting Transplant Fluids. AI on this multi-centre RCT aiming to determine the most appropriate fluid for administration to transplant recipients. In collaboration with Professor Steve Chadban of RPA and A/Prof Laurence Weinberg of University of Melbourne.
- DRAINS in Kidney Transplantation: CI on this RCT being planned between RPA and Westmead Hospitals. In collaboration with Professor Henry Pleass from Westmead and University of Sydney.
- 2012 Prize for best score in ANZHPBA post-fellowship examination
- 2012 Prize for best presentation at the ANZHPBA trainees' weekend
- 2012 Covidien Travelling Scholarship (5500AUD) awarded by ANZHPBA
- 2010 Ranked 1st in ANZHPBA post-fellowship training program applications for commencement in 2011
- 2010 Best presentation at the ANZHPBA trainees' weekend
- 2008 Young Investigator award from the Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand (850 AUD)
- 2007 Ranked 1st in Royal Australasian College of Surgeons General Surgery SET program applications for commencement of training 2008
- 2007 John Lowenthal clinical medal from the Department of Surgery University of Sydney
- 2007 Amgen Young Investigator Book Award from the Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand (500 AUD)
- 2006 Travel award from the Transplantation Society of Australia and New Zealand (2500 AUD)
- 2004 Northcote Graduate Scholarship to support graduate research (PhD) (150 000AUD)
- 2001 Faculty of Medicine Gold Medal for best overall performance in MBChB. Class Rank: 1st in cohort of 156
- 2001 Distinction for theory of practice in final professional examination
- 2001 Distinction for clinical practice in final professional examination
- 2001 MBChB awarded with Honours
- 1999 Distinction for core modules: overall distinction for basic sciences awarded after viva voce examination
- A/Professor Jerome Laurence: Acting Head of Renal Transplantation.
- Dr Carolo Pulitano: Research Associate.
- Dr Alexandra Sharland: A/Professor Bosch Institute.
- Dr Chuanmin Wang: Post-doctoral Research Fellow.
Publications and Presentations
- Laurence JM, Barbas AS, Sapisochin G, Marquez MA, Bazerbachi F, Selzner M, Norgate A, McGilvray ID, Schiff J, Ross H, Cattral MS. 'THE SIGNIFICANCE OF PREOPERATIVE CORONARY INTERVENTIONS ON OUTCOME AFTER PANCREAS TRANSPLANTATION.' Clinic Transplant. 2015 Dec 24. PMID: 26700761
- Sapisochin G, Goldaracena N, Laurence JM, Levy GA, Grant DR, Cattral MS. RIGHT LOBE LIVING-DONOR HEPATECTOMY-THE TORONTO APPROACH, TIPS AND TRICKS. HepatoBiliary Surg Nutr 2015. doi: 10.3978/ j.issn.2304-3881.2015.07.03
- Laurence JM, Sapisochin G, Selzner M, Norgate A, Kumar D, Mcgilvary ID, Greig PD, Schiff J, Cattral M. 'CONSERVATIVE PANCREAS GRAFT PRESERVATION AT THE EXTREME.' Transplant Direct. January 2016 - Volume 2 - Issue 1 - p e50
- Laurence JM, Sapisochin G, Miserachs MM, Marquez M, Seal JB, Zair M, DeAngelis M, Fecteau A, Jones N, Hrycko A, Avitzur Y, Ling SC, Ng V, Cattral MS, Grant D, Kamath BM, Ghanekar A. 'BILIARY COMPLICATIONS IN PEDIATRIC LIVER TRANSPLANTATION: INCIDENCE AND MANAGEMENT OVER A DECADE.' Liver Transplantation. Liver Transpl. 2015 Aug;21(8):1082-90. PMID: 25991054
- Laurence JM, Marquez MA, Seal JB, Bazerbachi F, Sapisochin G, Norgate A, Schiff J, Greig G, Selzner M, McGilvray ID, Cattral MS. 'THE EFFECT OF RECIPIENT AGE ON OUTCOME AFTER PANCREAS TRANSPLANTATION'. Transplantation. 2015 Feb;99(2):e13-4. PMID: 25651123
- Laurence JM. "CANCER FOLLOWING SOLID ORGAN TRANSPLANTATION". Chapter 59.3. P. 812-813. UICC Manual of clinical Oncology, Ninth Edition. Edited by Brian O'Sullivan, James Brierley, Anil D'Cruz, Martin Fey, Raphael Pollock, Jan Vermorken and Shao Hui Huang. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. In Press.
- Laurence JM, Greig PD. "RECURRENT PYOGENIC CHOLANGITIS". In Management of Benign Biliary Stenosis and Injury: A Comprehensive Guide 1st ed. Edition. Edited by Elijah Dixon, Charles M. Vollmer Jr., Gary R. May. Springer. 2016 In Press.
- Oral Presentation International Pancreas and Islet Transplantation Association, Melbourne November 2015: 'THE IMPACT OF DONOR SPECIFIC ANTIBODIES ON REJECTION AND GRAFT SURVIVAL AFTER PANCREAS TRANSPLANTATION'. Presenting Author
- Oral Presentation International Pancreas and Islet Transplantation Association, Melbourne November 2015: 'CONVERSION OF TWICE DAILY TACROLIMUS TO ONCE DAILY MODIFIED RELEASE TACROLIMUS IN STABLE PANCREAS TRANSPLANT RECIPIENTS - A SAFETY STUDY'. Presenting Author
- Poster Presentation International Pancreas and Islet Transplantation Association, Melbourne November 2015: 'THE IMPACT OF PREOPERATIVE CARDIOVASCULAR INTERVENTIONS ON OUTCOME AFTER PANCREAS TRANSPLANTATION'. Presenting Author
- Invited Oral Presentation, 16th International Victor Chang Symposium, 30th October 2015: 'DCD Kidney Transplantation'. Presenting Author
- Invited Oral Presentation, RPA week 2015: 'Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis'. Presenting Author
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Dr Michael Crawford
Telephone: (02) 9515 5416
Facsimile: (02) 9515 3606