The RPAH Allergy Unit is attached to the Department of Clinical Immunology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPAH), and is affiliated with the Discipline of Medicine at the University of Sydney. Located at Camperdown, RPAH is the premier teaching hospital within the Sydney Local Health District (SLHD).
Our staff are committed to excellence in clinical care, research and teaching, and we act as a centre of national expertise providing information and resource materials for health care providers as well as the wider community.
- The Allergy Unit runs a multidisciplinary clinical service for
assessment and management of a wide variety of allergic and related
- We have developed special expertise in the assessment of adverse food
reactions, including food allergies, food intolerances and coeliac
- There are three clinic days per week (Monday, Wednesday,
- Since over half of our patients come from outside SLHD (and
one quarter from outside the Sydney metropolitan area) we endeavour to
provide a "one-stop-shop" service.
- Specialist consultation, allergy and/or lung function testing, dietetic
assessment and the development of a management plan are usually all
completed at a single visit.
- Patients who are following long-term modified diets are encouraged to
maintain contact with our dietitians by email, phone or fax.
- Anaphylaxis training classes are conducted by one of our nurses every 1st and 3rd
Thursday of the month to cater for the information needs of patients, families and
The allergy unit has been actively involved in research projects in a variety of areas:
- Food allergy and anaphylaxis
- Coeliac disease
- Salicylate intolerance
- MSG intolerance
- Food intolerance in the following conditions:
- Chronic urticaria (hives)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Asthma and rhinitis
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Autistic spectrum disorder
Staff of the Allergy Unit engage in teaching at various levels:
- Medical (University of Sydney)
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- University of Sydney
- University of Wollongong
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- Doctors, dietitians and other health-care professionals are able to attend clinics as observers (by arrangement).
- Seminar programme:
- Open to students, health care professionals, industry representatives, public health officials, etc.
Information and clinical management resources
A variety of resource materials can be obtained by individuals, or ordered in bulk by health care professionals for use in their own practice or clinic: