Accessible, Quality Care
Treatment with donor eggs
RPAH Fertility Unit is committed to the view that children born as a result of donated eggs have a right to information about their genetic history. Anyone using donated eggs must give careful consideration to managing the special needs of their children. These issues will be raised in counselling prior to treatment.
What is treatment with donor eggs?
This treatment uses eggs (oocytes) which have been donated by someone known to the recipient. The donor undergoes a stimulated IVF cycle. The resulting eggs are fertilised by sperm from the recipient's partner to create embryos. These embryos are cryostored and quarantined for 3 months to make sure that no infectious diseases are transmitted to the recipient. The embryos are then transferred to the uterus of the recipient.
Who is it for?
Egg donation is a treatment that can be used to treat women who are unable to produce their own eggs or who have a genetic condition that they do not want to pass on to their child.
Women using donated eggs and their partners must have counselling at RPAH prior to treatment. The known egg donor and her partner (if applicable) must also be counselled.
Drugs used in IVF
As per IVF
As per IVF
Pregnancy rates as per those for IVF cryo cycles, relative to the age of the egg donor
NSW Donor legislation
From January 2010, the NSW government has introduced legislation regarding the use of donor gametes (sperm, eggs or embryos). This is called the Assisted Reproductive Technologies Act.
The Department of Health has developed fact sheets to give information to all parties involved. Please use the links below.
- Information for parents on the Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2007
- Information for donor conceived individuals on the Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2007
- Information for donors on the Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2007
- The voluntary donor register
- Information for ART providers on the Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2007
- The Central ART donor register
- Information for families who want to continue with ART treatment started before the 1 January 2010
- 2010 NSW ART Legislation involving donor gametes
Click here to download the information sheet "Egg Donation and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital"