Main: (02) 9767 5769
Cancer Institute NSW
Concord Hospital's Department of Medical Oncology aims to provide integrated, patient-centered care, based on evidence-derived treatment protocols, in a supportive and compassionate environment.
Medical oncologists use chemotherapy, biologic therapies, or other cancer-fighting drugs to treat patients who have cancer. Medical Oncologists often coordinate the activities of a patient's treatment team. They usually specialise in treating one or more types of cancer that occur in:
- a specific organ or tissue (such as the liver, lungs, bone, blood, or skin)
- organ system (such as the central nervous system, hormonal system, or reproductive system)
- region of the body (such as breast or head and neck).
Concord Hospital's Medical Oncology team includes specialists in the following disciplines:
- medical oncology
- surgical oncology
- radiation Oncology
- genetic cancer
- clinical trials
- Allied Health (dietetics, exercise physiology, occupational therapy, pathology, pharmacy, psychology, social work)
- cancer survivorship
- palliative care.
The team treats a wide range of cancers and people in a variety of situations including:
- curative treatments that aim to eliminate cancer altogether
- preventive treatments to reduce the risk of cancer recurring
- symptom management
- genetic counselling and genetic testing.
Specialists in the team include:
- Breast Cancer - Dr Belinda Kiely
- Breast Cancer, Cancer Genetics - Dr Annabel Goodwin
- Cancer Survivorship - Dr Ashanya Malalasekera
- Cancer Survivorship - Professor Janette Vardy
- Gynaecological Cancer, Neuroendocrine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Gastrointestinal Cancer - Associate Professor Philip Beale
- Lung Cancer, Neurological Cancer, Urological Cancer - Dr Anthony Linton
- Lung Cancer, Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer, Colorectal Cancer - Associate Professor Prunella Blinman Head of Department for Medical Oncology
- Prostate Cancer, Urological Cancer - Professor Martin Stockler
Referrals to a specialist
You need a referral from your GP or specialist, before you can book an appointment with a medical oncology specialist. To make an appointment, call (02) 9767 5969 or fax (02) 9767 7934.
Home and hospital support during treatment
Before and during your treatment, the Oncology Nurse Consultant, Anthony Sullivan, will explain all possible treatment side-effects and risks, and what to do about them. He'll provide you with phone numbers so you can call our team for help or advice, 24-hours, 7 days a week.
You can also present directly to the Emergency Department of either Concord Hospital or your local Hospital at any time.
To contact the team, call (02) 9767 5969 or fax (02) 9767 7934, or call the Concord Hospital Switchboard on (02) 9767 5000.