Some interesting facts about Sydney Local Health District:
- Sydney LHD covers a land area of approximately 127 square kilometres
- SLHD has an ethnically diverse community, with 51.5 per cent of the population speaking a language other than English at home. The major languages in the community aside from English are Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic and Greek.
- There is also a significant proportion of the population who identify as Aboriginal, which is highest in the City of Sydney, Marrickville and Canterbury.
- More than 8,500 babies are born every year in Sydney Local Health District which is more than 9 per cent of all births in NSW.
- There are currently 90,916 infants, children and young people aged 0-15 years living in SLHD. Over the next 10 years, the number of people aged 20-69 years will grow by 8.5 per cent. The most significant growth will occur in those aged 70 years and over. Projections from 2011 to 2021 indicate this age group will grow to represent 9.7 per cent of the population.
- Hospital data indicates that Sydney LHD residents over the age of 65 years used 50 per cent of all acute hospital bed days for SLHN residents in 2009-10 (NSW Health FLowInfo V 10.0 2010).
- SLHD is comprised of eight Local Government Areas (LGAs) including City of Sydney, Leichhardt, Marrickville, Ashfield, Burwood, Strathfield, Canada Bay, Canterbury.
- Balmain Hospital
- Canterbury Hospital
- Concord Repatriation General Hospital
- Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- Sydney Dental Hospital
Third Schedule Facilities
- Tresillian Family Care Centres
- Department of Forensic Medicine
- Sydney South West Pathology Services
- Concord Centre for Mental Health
- BreastScreen NSW
- Thomas Walker Hospital
- Aboriginal Health Services.
- Allied Health
- Community Health
- Drug Health
- Mental Health
- Nursing and Midwifery Services
- Oral Health
- Population Health
Clinical Streams and Services
- Aged Care, Rehabilitation and General Medicine
- Cancer Services
- Cardiovascular Services
- Critical Care
- Gastro and Liver Services
- Medical Imaging Services
- Neurosciences, Bone and Joint, Plastics and Trauma Surgery
- Women's Health, Neonatology and Paediatrics