Carers Program
Carers Program

Rural Carers

If you are a Carer from a rural, remote or regional area cities and big city hospitals can be overwhelming. Health staff are also not always aware of the extra burden that travel and lack of services in your own community places on you and the person you care for. You may be eligible for transport and accommodation assistance (IPTAAS) when travelling to a city but when you return to your home you may be unable to make use of services such as Respite because such services don't exist or involve long distances to travel.

If possible, prior to travelling, ask health staff about provision of flexible appointments, access to teleconferencing, accommodation costs, and provision of information orienting you to the cities and hospitals to whom the person you care for has been referred

Isolated Patients' Travel & Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS)

If you live outside SLHD and have to travel 100kms or more to access specialist medical treatment in our hospitals, travel and accommodation subsidies for patients and carer escorts are available subject to eligibility and making a co-payment. Ask a Social Worker or other health service staff member for assistance and an application form.

Important Links
NSW Health - Transport for Health

Accredited Carer Employer