Carers' Ten Commandments
Keeping Well and Healthy
When you are so busy looking after the person who needs your care it's easy to neglect your own health. You need to look after yourself. In the long run, you may find it hard to stay positive if you are sleep deprived, lose friends because it's hard to stay in touch, or hurt yourself because you've put your back out trying to lift others. Hopefully there are some tips on this web page that will help.
Carers' Ten Commandments for Reducing Carer Stress
- Not be perfect, nor even try to be.
- Not try to be all things to all people.
- Leave things undone that ought to be done.
- Not spread yourself too thin.
- Learn to say "NO".
- Schedule time for yourself, and your support network.
- Switch off, and do nothing regularly.
- Be boring, untidy, inelegant and unattractive at times.
- Not even feel guilty.
- Especially not be your own worst enemy, but be your best friend.
Source: Hilary Langford 1987