Nursing and Midwifery Services
  Feedback | Contact Us

Overseas Recruitment

Advice for international NURSES & MIDWIVES

Regularly voted one of the best places to live multicultural Sydney has a lot to offer and so does Sydney Local Health District (SLHD) in terms of nursing and midwifery career development and fulfillment. SLHD is able to offer a range of employment opportunities to currently experienced overseas trained and returning Australian trained nurses and midwives that will satisfy your professional needs as well as suit your lifestyle choices.

Sponsorship of overseas trained nurses and midwives is offered on the applicant meeting all recruitment and selection for employment criteria. The type of sponsorship offered will depend on your needs and that of your dependents. To obtain sponsorship you must be able to demonstrate evidence of post registration experience for Registered Nurses and Midwives. The applicant must also be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) as part of the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Authority (AHPRA). The NMBA will assess international nursing and midwifery qualifications for eligibility for registration in Australia. For further information please go to:

Internationally Trained nurses and midwives must also provide evidence of their English language proficiency as part of the registration process.

For more information on application and registration refer to the overseas recruitment information available on the website of the Nursing and Midwifery Office.

Overseas trained nurse and midwives can apply directly to the hospitals and services of Sydney Local Health District or use the services of the approved Overseas Recruitment Agents.

Visa Types

Working Holiday Visa
Overseas trained Registered Nurses and Midwives who have a 12-month Working Holiday Visa can work in SLHD hospitals for a period up to 6 months. During this time Registered Nurses can apply for Business Sponsorship for up to four years through the Business Skills Migration Program. Applicants must be under the age of 30 years to be eligible for a Working Holiday Visa and must apply outside Australia.

Temporary Long Stay Visa (Subclass 457)
Registered Nurses and Midwives can also apply for Sponsorship for a Temporary Long Stay Working Visa (Subclass 457) either on-shore or from outside Australia. Sponsorship is offered for up to 4 years. Applicants must agree to work full-time for the duration of this visa. Applicants can include immediate family members as dependents in their application for Sponsorship. Dependents will be granted full-time work rights under the main applicant's visa.

Medication endorsed Enrolled Nurses with four year's post registration experience are also able to apply for Temporary Long Stay (Subclass 457) Visa subject to the applicant being in Australia at the time of application.

Permanent Residency
The Business Skills Migration Program also allows for registered nurses and midwives to apply for Permanent Residency. Registered nurses/midwives already on a Sponsorship Visa can apply after working for 3 months. A formal performance appraisal will have to be completed by the applicant's Line Manager prior to an offer of permanent employment. Registered Nurses/midwives can also apply for permanent residency from outside Australia. The maximum age limit for applicants is 45 years of age. In order to be eligible for Permanent Residency under our Sponsorship, Registered Nurses must have a minimum of 3 years post graduate nursing experience.

Student Visas with Work Rights
Throughout SLHD we also employ people who are on appropriate Student Visas (normally the Subclass 573). These Visas usually allow the holder to work a maximum 20 hours per week during semester and full time during holidays/vacation period. This is applicable to second and third year nursing and midwifery undergraduates wishing to work as Assistants in Nursing/Midwifery.

For information on the current NSW Health Nursing and Midwifery pay and conditions