Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS)
The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) conducts research into aspects of mental health affecting children and adolescents. Much of the work is conducted in collaboration with other centres, and only a minority of the data are collected from within the Sydney Local Health District.
Principle areas of research in 2016
Obsessive compulsive disorder
- A brain imaging study of how Adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder make decisions.
- A psychological treatment study for Children and Adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Their Families.
- A study of psychological processes in children and adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive when they are undertaking cognitive tasks.
- A study of how family factors (e.g., family accommodation, criticism, warmth, positive-problem solving) contributing to onset and maintenance of obsessive-compulsive symptoms in children and adolescents.
Psychosis in young people
- A clinical follow up study of young people 6-17 years diagnosed with bipolar disorder conducted in collaboration with Newcastle CAMHS.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- A longitudinal study of children with ADHD recruited from the community.
- A brain imaging study comparing children with ADHD with normally developing children. Both studies are being conducted in collaboration with the Murdoch Children's Research Institute in Melbourne.
The influence of puberty on physical and psychological development
- A long term study of rural youth to examine impacts of stages and velocity of puberty on physical and psychological wellbeing. The study is being conducted in collaboration with the Academic Department of Adolescent Medicine at Children's Hospital Westmead, and the Sydney University Rural Clinical School.
- Collaboration with others on development of the RANZCP Clinical Practice Guideline for the assessment and management of self-harm
- Factors affecting readmission to the Walker Adolescent Unit.
Dr Iain Perkes:
- Society of Biological Psychiatry: Conference Mentorship Program
- Society for Mental Health Research: Early Career Researcher Travel Bursary
Higher Degree Students:
- Professor Philip Hazell, Director, Chair SLHD MHS Research and Clinical Translation Forum
- Dr Jean Starling, Clinical Director Walker Unit
- Dr David Harding, Senior Clinical Psychologist
- Mr Paul O'Keefe, Nursing Unit Manager
- Ms Sharlene Mantz
- Ms Chloe McGrath
- Mr Stephen Hirneth (submitted)
- Dr Iain Perkes
Publications and Presentations
Mulraney M, Schilpzand EJ, Anderson V, Silk T, Hazell P, Nicholson JM, Efron D, Sciberras E. Comorbidity and correlates of Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder in 6-8 year old children with ADHD. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry 2016;25:321-330
Amon KL, Paxton K, Klineberg E, Riley L, Hazell P, Skinner R, Hawke C, Steinbeck K. Recruiting a young adolescent rural cohort: costs and lessons learnt. Advances in Paediatric Research 2016;3:5-9
Hazell P, Sprague T, Sharpe J. Psychiatric hospital treatment of children and adolescents in New South Wales, Australia: 12-year trends. British Journal of Psychiatry Open 2016;2:1-5
Mulder R, Hazell P, Rucklidge JJ, Malhi GS. Methylphenidate for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: Too much of a good thing? Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2016;50: 113-114
Mulraney M, Schilpzand E, Anderson V, Nicholson J, Efron D, Hazell P,& Sciberras, E. Correlates of anxiety in 6-8 year old children with ADHD: A community-based study. Journal of Attention Disorders 2016 Mar 28. pii: 1087054716638510. [Epub ahead of print]
Silk, T.J., Genc, S., Anderson, V., Efron, D., Hazell, P., Nicholson, J.M., Kean, M., Malpas, C. Sciberras, E. Developmental brain trajectories in children with ADHD and controls: A longitudinal neuroimaging study. BMC Psychiatry 2016 Mar 11;16:59.doi: 10.1186/s12888-016-0770-4.
Hawton K, Witt KG, Taylor Salisbury TL, Arensman E, Gunnell D, Hazell P, Townsend E, van Heeringen K. Psychosocial interventions following self-harm in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Psychiatry 2016 Aug;3(8):740-50.doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(16)30070-0.
Cipriani A, Zhou X, Del Giovane C, Hetrick SE, Qin B, Whittington C, Coghill D, Zhang Y, Hazell P, Leucht S, Cuijpers P, Pu J, Cohen D, Ravindran AV, Liu Y, Michael KD, Yang L, Liu L, Xie P.Comparative efficacy and tolerability of antidepressants for major depression in children and adolescents: a network meta-analysis. The Lancet 2016 Aug 27;388(10047):881-90. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30385-3.
Green JL, Rinehart N, Anderson V, Efron D, Nicholson J, Jongeling B, Hazell P, Sciberras E. Association between autism symptoms and family functioning in children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: a community-based study. European Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2016 Dec;25(12):1307-1318.
Sciberras E, Bisset M, Hazell P, Nicholson J, Anderson V, Lycett K, Jongeling B, Efron D. Health-related impairments in young children with ADHD: a community-based study, Child: Care, Health & Development 2016 Sep;42(5):709-17. doi:10.1111/cch.12363.
Carter G, Page A, Large M, Hetrick S, Milner AJ, Bendit N, Walton C, Draper B, Hazell P, Fortune S, Burns J, Patton G, Lawrence M, Dadd L, Robinson J, Christensen H. Clinical practice guideline for the management of deliberate self-harm. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2016 Oct;50(10):939-1000
Bhide S, Sciberras E, Anderson V, Hazell P, Nicholson JM. Association between parenting style and socio-emotional and academic functioning in children with and without ADHD: A community-based study. Journal of Attention Disorders 2016 Jul 28. pii:1087054716661420. [Epub ahead of print]
Neely R, Green J, Sciberras E, Hazell P, Anderson V. Relationship between executive functioning and symptoms of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorder in 6-8 year old children. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2016 Oct;46(10):3270-80. doi: 10.1007/s10803-016-2874-6.
Chow C-M, Wong SN, Shin M, Maddox R, Fields K-L, Paxton K, Hawke C, Hazell P, Steinbeck K. Defining the rest interval associated with the main sleep period in actigraph scoring. Nature and Science of Sleep 2016 Nov 21;8:321-328
I.E. Perkes, S. Quail, R.W. Morris, P. Hazell, B.W. Balleine. fMRI Correlates of Action Selection in Adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Biological Psychiatry. May 2016; 79(9):A1-A10, S22.
I.E. Perkes, J. Curtis, J.J. McGrath.Don't ignore the skeleton in the psychiatric closet. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2016 Nov;50(11):1106-1107.
Mantz, S., O’Brien, M., Waters, F., & Abbott, M. J. (2017). The relative impact of cognitive processes on self-report and behavioural indices during a sorting task for young people with obsessive-compulsive disorder and controls. Manuscript under review.
- Hazell P*, Anderson R, Feijo I. The hospitalisation of adolescents with autism: Practical considerations. An Update on Eepidemiology and Etiology of Autism. CUIMP Barcelona - Centre Ernest Lluch, Barcelona, 6-7 June, 2016
- Green JL, Rinehart N, Anderson V, Efron D, Nicholson J, Jongeling B, Hazell P, Sciberras E. Association between autism spectrum disorder symptoms and family functioning in children with ADHD: A community-based study. Abstract accepted for a poster presentation at the 24th Biennial Meeting of the International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development (ISSBD), Vilnius, Lithuania, July 10-14, 2016.
- Bhide,S., Sciberras E., Anderson V., Hazell P., Nicholson J. M. Parenting style predicts social outcomes in children with and without ADHD from the community: An 18-month longitudinal study. Poster session accepted at the 24th Biennial Meeting of the International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development (ISSBD 2016), Vilnius, Lithuania, 10-14 July 2016
- Green JL, Rinehart N, Anderson V, Efron D, Nicholson J, Jongeling B, Hazell P, Sciberras E Association between autism symptoms and child and family functioning in children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): A community-based study. Abstract accepted for an oral symposium at the International Society for the Scientific study of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IASSIDD) World Congress, Melbourne Australia, 15-19th August
- Sciberras E, Nicholson J, Anderson V, Hazell P, Jongeling B, Silk T, Ukoumunne, Efron D. Diagnostic stability and functional outcomes of children with ADHD at age 10 years: Findings from the Children’s Attention Project cohort. 2016 APS Congress, Melbourne, Sep 2016.2016.
- Perkes I. fMRI Correlates of Action Selection in Adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Society for Mental Health Research. Sydney, Australia. December 7th 2016
- Perkes I. fMRI Correlates of Action Selection in Adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Society for Mental Health Research. Hobart, Australia. October 1st 2016
- Perkes I. fMRI Correlates of Action Selection in Adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Society of Biological Psychiatry. Atlanta, USA. May 13th
||YEARS total $$
|New South Wales Institute of Psychiatry Child and Adolescent Training Fellowship
||Child and Adolescent Neuropsychiatry
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Professor Philip Hazell
Department/Unit: Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS)
Thomas Walker Hospital, Hospital Rd
Telephone: (02) 9736 2288
Facsimile: (02) 9743 6264