Cancer Nursing Research Unit
The Cancer Nursing Research Unit (CNRU) is helping to meet the needs of people in NSW by expanding the contribution of cancer and haematology nurses to quality cancer services, including the extended role of nurses in both clinical and community sectors. Some of our current research and activities for 2014-2016 have included:
♣ Evaluating a shared care pathway intervention to reduce chemotherapy outpatients unplanned presentations to hospital.
♣ Assessing Adolescence and young adult cancer patients transition to palliative care on health care professionals.
♣ The financial impact of cancer treatment on Australian patients and families.
Higher Degree Students:
- Professor Kate White - Professor of Cancer Nursing
- Ms Merran Findlay
- Ms Natalie D'Abrew - Senior Research Manager
- Dr Chantale Boustany - Project Manager ESCAPI
- Ms Louise Acret - Research Officer
- Ms Lucy Lehane - Research Officer
- Ms Bora Kim - Research Officer
- Ms Michelle Lai - Research Officer
- Elisha McLaren
- Bora Kim
- Tracy King
- Rosemary Saunders
- Ahmed Almansour
- Michelle Barakat-Johnson
- Brigette O'Sullivan
- Jingjing He
Publications and Presentations
- Aggar, C., Bloomfield, J.G., Stanton, C., Baynie, C., & Gordon, CJ. (2016) Practice manager expectations of new graduate registered nurses in Australian geaneral practice - a national survey. Australian Journal of Primary Care. Doi: 10.1071/PY15078.
- Aggar, C., Gordon, C., & Bloomfield, J. (2016) Primary healthcare nursing workforce development. Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal. 23(6), 43.
- Armes, J., Shewbridge, A., Nordlund, J., Finnegan-John, J., Moore, J., Bloomfield, J., & Ream, E. (2016). Patient perceptions of end of treatment consultations for women with breast cancer. Cancer Nursing Practice. 15(4): 28-36.
- Beesley, V.L., Janda, M., Goldstein, D., Gooden, H., Merrett, N.D., O'Connell, D.L., Rowlands, I.J., Wyld, D., Neale, R.E. (2016) A tsunami of unmet needs: pancreatic and ampullary cancer patients' supportive care needs and use of community and allied health services. Psycho-Oncology, 25:150-157.
- Buckley, T., Spinaze, M., Bartrop, R., McKinley, S., Whitfield, V., Havyatt, J., Roche, D., Fethney, J., Tofler, G. (2016) Response to 'Who cares how we care?'. Australian Critical Care, 29 (3):127.
- Burmeister, E.A., Waterhouse, M., Jordan, S.J., O'Connell, D.L., Merrett, N.D., Goldstein, D., Wyld, D., Beesley, V., Gooden, H., Janda, M., Neale, R.E. (2016) Determinants of survival and attempted resection in patients with non-metastatic pancreatic cancer: An Australian population-based study. Pancreatology, 16:873-881.
- Carter, J., Philp, S., Wan, K. (2016). Optimising recovery after surgery: Predictors of early discharge and hospital readmission. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 56(5): 489-495.
- Foster, K., McPhee, I., Fethney, J., McLoughen, A. (2016) Outcomes on the ON FIRE peer support programme for children and adolescents in families with mental health problems. Child and Family Social Work. 21:295-306.
- Gillett, K., O'Neill, B., & Bloomfield, J. (2016). Factors affecting the development of end-of-life communication skills: A focus group study of nursing and medical students. Nurse Education Today. 36: 395-400.
- Gooden, H., Tiller, K., Mumford, J., White, K. (2016) Integrated psychosocial and supportive care needed for patients with pancreatic cancer. Cancer Forum, 40 (1):66-69.
- Kim, B., White, K., Patterson, P. (2016) Understanding the experiences of adolescents and young adults with cancer: A meta-synthesis. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 24:39-53.
- Kurth, E., Krahenbuhl, K., Eicher, M., Rodmann, S., Folmli, L., Conzelmann, C., et al. (2016) Safe start at home: what parents of newborns need after early discharge from hospital - a focus group study. BMC Health Serv Res 16(1):82. [IF1.71]
- Matzka, M., Maye,r H., Kock-Hodi, S., Moses-Passini, C., Dubey, C., Jahn, P., . . . Eicher, M. (2016). Relationship between Resilience, Psychological Distress and Physical Activity in Cancer Patients: A Cross-Sectional Observation Study. PloS one, 11(4), e0154496. doi: 10.1371 [IF3.23]
- McDonald, F.E.J., Patterson, P., White, K.J., Butow, P.N., Costa, D.S.J., Kerridge, I. (2016) correlates of unmet needs and psychological distress in adolescents and young adults who have a parent diagnosed with cancer. Psycho-Oncology, 25: 447-454.
- McDonald, F.E.J., Patterson, P., Costa, D.S.J., Shepherd, H.L. (2016) Validstion of a health literacy measure for adolescents and young adults diagnosed with cancer. Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology, 5:69-75.
- McGregor, D., Rankin, N.M., Butow, P.N., York, S., White, K., Phillips, J., Stone, E., Barnes, D., Jones, R., Shaw, T. (2016) Closing evidence-practuice gaps in lung cancer: Results from multi-methods priority setting in the clinical context. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. doi:10.1111/ajco.12499
- McMillan, K., Butow, P., Turner, J., Yates, P., White, K., Lambert, S., Stephens, M., Lawsin, C. (2016) Burnout and the provision of psychosocial care amongst Australian cancer nurses. European Journal of Oncology Nursing,22:37-45.
- Munroe, B., Curtis, K., Murphy, M., Strachan, L., Considine, J., Hardy, J., Wilson, M., Ruperto, K., Fethney, J., Buckley, t. (2016) A structured framework improves clinical patient assessment and nontechnical skills of early career emergency nurses: a pre-post study using full immersion simulation. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25:15-16.
- Murray, L., Butow, P.N., White, K., Kiernan, M., D'Abrew, N., Herz, H. (2016) Advance care planning in motor neuron disease: A qualitative study of caregiver perspectives. Palliative medicine, 30 (5):471-478.
- Patterson, P., McDonald, F.E.J., White, K.J., Butow, P.N. Walczak, A. (2016) Levels of unmet needs and distress in AYAs impacted by familial cancer. Psycho-Oncology. Doi: 10.1002/pon.4421.
- Philp, S., Mellon, A., Barnett, C., D'Abrew, N., White, K. (2016) The road less travelled: Australian women's experience with vulval cancer. European Journal of Cancer Care, doi: 10.1111/ecc.12465
- Rankin, N., Shaw, T., McGregor, D., Stone, E., Butow, P., Young, J., White, K. (2016) Evidence-practice gaps in lung cancer: A scoping review. European Journal of Cancer Care. doi.10.1111/ecc.12588.
- Smith, A., Butow, P., Olver, I., Luckett, T., Grimison, P., Toner, G.C., Stockler, M.R., Hovey, E., Stubbs, J., Turner, S., Hruby, G., Gurney, H., Alam, M., Cox, K., King, M.T. (2016) The prevalence, severity , and correlates of psychological distress and impaired health-related quality of life following treatment for testicular cancer: a survivorship study. Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 10:223-233.
- Wan, K.M., Carter, J., Philp, S. (2016) Predictors of early discharge after open gynaecological surgery in the setting of an enhanced recovery after surgery protocol. Journal of Obstetrics and Gyaecology Research, 42(10): 1369-1374.
- Wand, T., D'Abrew, N., Acret, L., White, K. (2016). Evaluating a new model of nurse-led emergency department mental health care in Australia; perspectives of key informants. International Emergency Nursing, 24, 16-21. [doi:10.1016/j.ienj.2015.05.003]
- Fisher, M., Fethney, J. (2016) Analysing data in quantitative research in Schneider, Z., Whitehead, D., LoBiondo-Wood, G., Haber, J. (Eds) Nursing and Midwifery Research: methods and appraisal for evidence-based practice, 5th Edition pp 213 - 235. Sydney, Elsevier.
- Fisher, M., Fethney, J. (2016) Sampling data in quantitative research in Schneider, Z., Whitehead, D., LoBiondo-Wood, G., Haber, J. (Eds) Nursing and Midwifery Research: methods and appraisal for evidence-based practice, 5th Edition pp 165 - 180. Sydney, Elsevier.
- McVey, P. (2016) Palliative Care in Tiziani, A. (Ed) Drug Calculations Case Studies: Sydney, Australia, Elsevier Australia. pp105-138
National and International:
- Findlay, M. (2016) Invited speaker. Triumphs and tribulations of translation: Designing and implementing an innovative model of care for nutritional management of patients with head and neck cancer. Australia and New Zealand Head and Neck Society ASM, Auckland, NZ.
- Findlay, M., Rankin, N., White, K., Shaw, T., Bauer, J. (2016) Poster. Assessing the barriers and enablers to implementing best practice nutrition care in the head and neck oncology multidisciplinary team: A qualitative study. AHNS 9th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, Seattle WA.
- Hulbert-Williams, N., Pilkington, M., Swash, B., Gillanders, D., Lambert, S., McDonald, F.E.J., Patterson, P. (2016) Oral presentation. Psychological transition after primary cancer treatment - ACT component mapping for effective intervention development. 14th ACBS world Conference, Seattle, USA.
- King, T. (2016) Invited speaker. Improving patient outcomes through optimised nursing care. Topic 1. Role of the nurse in treating myeloma and treatment related effects. Topic 2. Role of the nurse in providing patient education and care. Hong Kong Society of Myeloma Scientific Meeting. Multiple Myeloma Workshop. Hong Kong.
- McDonald, F.E.J., Patterson, P., Costa, D., Shepherd, H., Walczak, A. (2016) Oral presentation. Validation of a Health Literacy Measure for Adolescents and Young Adults Diagnosed with Cancer. 14th International Conference on Communication in Healthcare. Heidelberg, Germany.
- McKenzie, H., White, K., Hayes, L., Fitzpatrick, S., Cox, K., River, J. (2016). The integration of formal and informal care provision: An exploratory study of the experiences of primary support persons of chemotherapy outpatients. ICIC16 _ 16th International Conference on Integrated Care, Barcelona, Spain.
- Micklem, J., McDonald, F.E.J., Patterson, P., Stewart, H., Yerrell, P., Reilly, R.... and the CanDAD Aboriginal Youth Advisory Committee and Community Reference Group (2016) Oral presentation. Understanding the needs of indigenous Australian adolescents and young adults impacted by cancer: utilising narratives to improve support services - an update. Teen Cancer Trust 9th International Conference and 1st Global AYA cancer Congress. Edinburgh, UK.
- Murray, L., Butow, P.N., White, K., Kiernan, M., D'Abrew, N., Herz, H. (2016) Advance care planning in motor neuron disease: A qualitative study of caregiver perspectives. 14th International Conference on Communication in Healthcare, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Walczak, A., Patterson, P., McDonald, F.E.J., Dobinson, K. (2016) Oral presentation. Guidelines for Meeting Communication and Information Needs of Young People Impacted by Parental Cancer. 14th International Conference on Communication in Healthcare, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Wilczek, K., Mangan, H., Barnett, C., White, K. (2016) Meeting the needs of family carers in the bone marrow transplant setting. 42nd EBMT, Valencia, Spain.
- Aggar, C., Bloomfield, J., Gordon, C., & Thomas, T. (2016) Development of a General Practice Transition Program for new graduate registered nurses - findings from a pilot study. Primary Health Care research and Information Service (PHCRIS), Canberra, Australia.
- Bergin, K., Moore, E., Augustson, B., Blacklock, H., Ho, P., Horvath, N., King, T., McQuilten, Z., McNeil, J., Moilee, P., Quach, H., Reid, C., Rosengarten, B., Walker, P., Wood, E., Spencer, A. (2016) Poster. Rates of Upfront Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation (ASCT) in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma (NDMM): A report from the MRDR on behalf of the MRDR steering committee. HAA, Melbourne.
- Bloomfield, J., Gordon, C., & Aggar, C. (2016) Supporting New Graduate Registered Nurses Entering the General Practice Setting: Findings from a pilot study. 3rd International Primary Health Care Reform Conference, Brisbane, Australia.
- Findlay, M. (2016) Invited speaker. Best evidence to best practice - implementing an innovative model of care for nutritional management of patients with head and neck cancer: Pre-implementation phase findings. Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer, Adelaide, Australia.
- King, T., Sipavicius, J., Klarica, D., Young, K., Woodrow, C., Beer, H. (2016) Oral abstract. myeNURSE: Working Together to Improve Outcomes for Those with Myeloma, a Focus on Best Practice and Information Sharing. HAA, Melbourne.
- Lavorgna, B., Kelly-Dalgety, E., Sidis, A., Patterson, P., McDonald, F.E.J. (2016) Oral presentation. The development of a group based intervention for adolescents and young adults with a sibling or parent who has died from cancer. Australian Grief and Bereavement Conference. Melbourne.
- Lopez, A.L., Juraskova, I., Costa, D., Hobbs, K., Robertson, R., Philp, S., Phillips, E., Butow, P. Psychosocial needs of women with gynaecological cancer: Prevalence and correlation identified by a newly developed gynaecological needs questionnaire (GCNQ). Oral presentation. Australian New Zealand Gynaecological Oncology Group (ANZGOG). ASM, 13-16 April 2016.
- McDonald, F.E.J., Patterson, P., Walker, R., Micklem, J., Yerrel, P., Morey, K., Stewart, H., Rachel, R., 7 the CanDAD Aboriginal Community Reference Group (2016) Oral presentation. Understanding the needs of Aboriginal adolescents and young people impacted by cancer: Using narratives to improve support services. World Indigenous cancer Conference, Brisbane.
- Micklem, J., Reilly, R., Stewart, H., Yerrell, P., Miller, S., McDonald, F.E.J., Patterson, P., Walker, R., Brown, A. (2016) Poster presentation. Supportive care for aboriginal youth affected by cancer. Building understanding from narratives to improve service provision. Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) Meeting, Adelaide.
- Patterson, P., McDonald, F.E.J., Wright, A., Ciarrochi, J., Hayes, L., Tracey, D. (2016) Oral presentation. Evaluation of Truce: An acceptance and commitment therapy program for young people who have a parent with cancer. APS Congress, Melbourne.
- Patterson, P., McDonald, F.E.J., Wright, A., Ciarrochi, J., Hayes, L., Tracey, D. (2016) Oral presentation. Evaluation of Truce: An acceptance and commitment therapy program for young people who have a parent with cancer. World Congress of Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies (WCBCT), Melbourne.
- Patterson, P., McDonald, F.E.J. (2016) The development of a new tool to measure the unmet needs of adolescents and young adults who have had a family member die of cancer. Australian Grief and bereavement Conference, Melbourne.
- Patterson, P., McDonald, F.E.J., Walczac, A. (2016) Poster presentation. Levels and predictors of distress and unmet psychosocial needs in AYA offspring of cancer patients and the impact of a psychosocial assessment and review process. Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) Meeting, Adelaide.
- Walczak, A., Patterson, P., McDonald, F.E.J., Dobinson, K. (2016) Poster presentation. Health professionals caring for patients with cancer with adolescent and young adult children: Guidelines for assisting families in managing parental cancer-related communication & information challenges. Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) Meeting, Adelaide.
- White, K., Cox, K., Boustany, C., Fethney, J., McKenzie, H., Hayes, L., Simpsom, J., Horvath, L., Cook, N., Willcock, S. (2016) Integration of community based care for patients receiving chemotherapy in the outpatient setting - Testing a new model. 19th CNSA Annual Congress, Cairns, Australia.
- White, K., Hayes, L., McKenzie, H., Fethney, J., Simpsom, J., Cox, K., Wilcox, S., Horvath, L., Cook, N. (2016) Integrating primary and cancer care services. 3rd International Primary Health Care Reform Conference, Brisbane, Australia.
- White, K., King, E.L., Roach, J., Lehane, L. (2016) Poster. Supporting the ongoing professional development of Youth Cancer Service nurses: The Nurse Research and Clinical Innovation Mentorship Program. 19th CNSA Annual Congress, Cairns, QLD.
- Bennet, P., Muthiah, M., Jones, D., Sutton, D., O'Neill, T., Gleeson, W., Bloomfield, J., Macky, M., & Colgrave, J. (2016) Student-Assisted Sub-Acute Unit: Developing a collaborative interprofessional student leadership placement model. NSW Rural Health Research Congress, Tweed Heads, Australia.
- Johnson, C., Seior, H., McVey, P., Ives, A., Mitchell, G. (2016) Providing end of life care in rural and regional Australia: Optimal expectations versus actual end of life care. Palliative Care NSW State Conference - Transforming our Landscape, Broken Hill, NSW.
- Wand, T. (2016) Invited speaker. Negotiating compulsory treatment for eating disorders in hospital and the community. Centre for eating and dieting disorders, NSW state-wide ED service development forum, Sydney.
- White, K. (2016) Providing personalised care in the context of innovation and change. Leura 8 International Breast Cancer Conference, Leura, NSW.
- Wand, T. (2016) Introducing solution focused brief therapy to mental health nurses across the SLHD. NSW Health, SLHD. Nursing and Midwifery Research Symposium.
- Newman, E. (2016) Establishing outpatient triage for unplanned cancer presentations in the cancer setting. NSW Health. SLHD. Nursing and Midwifery Research Symposium.
- Snoch, H., Tembo, M., McLeod, J., Fethney, J., McKenzie, H., Hayes, L., Simpsom, J., Boustany, C., Cox, K., Horvath, L., Cook, N., Willcock, S., White, K. (2016) The role of generalist community nurses in cancer care. NSW SLHD, Nursing and Midwifery Research Symposium.
|Nursing and Midwifery Innovation Scholarship
||King, T., White, K., Newman, E.,Vaishnav, T.
||The Financial Impact of Cancer and its Treatment on Australian Haematology Patients and their Families.
|Sydney Catalyst Pilot and Seed Funding
||The financial impact of cancer treatment on Australian patients and families
|Sydney University Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery
||Nurse-led care: factors that influence the therapeutic nurse-patient relationship in the context of conversation relating to intimate and personal subject matters. A focus on the gynaecological oncology setting
|Commonwealth Governement RTP Stipend
||Physical and psychosocial impact of chemotherapy-induced alopecia and scalp cooling on adult cancer patients
|University of Chester Research Grants Scheme
||Psychological transiotion after primary cancer treatment - component mapping and intervention planning usin an Acceptance and Commitment Framework
|University of Western Australia School of Population Health Research Linkage Grants
||Profiling families impacted by cancer in Western Australia: Supporting healthy child development
|The University of Sydney Strategic Education Grant
||Schneider, C., Bleasel, J., Bloomfield, J., Cook, D., Fairbrother, M., Gunton, J., Lane, S., McKenzie, H., Nisbet, G., Phelps, M., Rangan, A., Smith, L., Spallek, H., Usherwood, T.
||Development of the University of Sydney Interprofessional Student-led Clinical Model
|NSW Health Innovations Grant
||Strey, A., Chisolm, F., Wand, T.
||Exploring the feasibility and evaluating the impact of a health clinic for consumers of a community mental health service
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Professor Kate White
Department/Unit: Cancer Nursing Research Unit
Chris O'Brien Lifehouse
119-143 Missenden Road