The Department of Gynaecology is part of Women's Health & Neonatology. It includes the Department of Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility. 2016 saw the Department of Gynaecology have its first research 'Think Tank' as part of the Institute of Academic Surgery. This think tank led to the development of several ideas. Many of these ideas have progressed through to submission of an ethics application. The aim of 2017 is to see progress and results of these studies.
The department had its first Gynaecology Think Tank in 2016. This led to the generation of projects that are being carried forward to 2017.
Higher Degree Students:
- Dr Jenny Yang, RPA Registrar Research Day, Joint First Place
- Dr Anthony Marren PhD Candidate: Immune causes of recurrent miscarriage.
- Dr Joyce Wu, M. Reproductive Medicine UNSW
- Dr Rhett Morton, M. International Public Health USYD
Publications and Presentations
- Morton R, Anderson L, Carter J, Pather S, Saidi SA. Intraoperative Frozen Section of Ovarian Tumors: A 6-Year Review of Performance and Potential Pitfalls in an Australian Tertiary Referral Center. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2017 Jan;27(1):17-21. doi: 10.1097/IGC.0000000000000851. PubMed PMID: 27922976.
- Marren AJ, Tan YY, de Vries B, Ng CHM, Livingstone M, and Bowman MC. Does the degree and speed of blastocoele re-expansion after cryopreservation and warming correlate with pregnancy rates: a retrospective cohort study. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. Accepted for publication January 2016.
- Narayana-Shankara N, Zawada SF, Walters KA, Desai R, Marren AJ, and Handelsman DJ. Accuracy of a Direct Progesterone Immunoassay. Clin Chem. Accepted for publication March 2016
- Dr Surya Krishnan AGES 2016 Bowel function following Laparoscopic resection of endometriosis: Technique and result.
- Marren AJ. The distribution of immune cells (including Natural Killer cells) in the endometrium - a comparison between women with a history of recurrent reproductive failure and a population with proven fertility. Fertility Society of Australia, Perth 2016.
- Chen SQR, de Vries, B and Marren AJ. Pregnancy outcomes in couples with a history of recurrent miscarriage where the woman has undergone endometrial biopsy for the detection of uterine natural killer cells. The World Congress on Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Cannes, France 2016.
- Yang, J. Women's Perspectives on Interpregnancy intervals - RPA Registrar Research Day.
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Clinical Associate Professor Michael Cooper
Telephone: (02) 9515 8356
Facsimile: (02) 9515 1595