Associate Professor Armin (Mohamed) Nikpour MBBS (Hons), FRACP, BSc (Math) is a neurologist specialising in the management of epilepsy. He is the Director of the Comprehensive Epilepsy Service at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and University of Sydney. He is also a specialist in Positron Emission Tomography.
A/Professor Nikpour is recognised for his expertise in epilepsy management, particularly imaging and surgical planning. His research involves the use of mathematical and engineering techniques to detect seizures and develop new methods for recording brain waves. His other research interests include the detection and treatment of mood disorders and memory problems that often accompany epilepsy. He has also investigated novel radioligands for the imaging of the brain.
As Head of the Epilepsy Unit, A/Professor Nikpour has developed close collaborations with other specialties including physics, engineering, psychology and neuropsychology.
Professor Matthew Kiernan leads the ForeFront Frontotemporal Dementia and Motor Neurodegeration Syndrome Program. The team's work is focused on clinical neurology, in particular disease pathophysiology and treatment strategies for neurological disorders.
The team are currently investigating the mechanisms and possible prevention of neurodegeneration in frontotemporal dementia, motor neurone disease, Kennedy's disease, chemotherapy-induced neurotoxicity, stroke, Machado-Joseph disease, spinal muscular atrophy and other inherited neuropathies.
As the Bushell Professor of Neurology, Professor Matthew Kiernan is dually located at the University of Sydney's, Brain and Mind Research Institute and the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Professor Kiernan is also the Co -Director of the Brain and Mind Centre - Discovery and Translation.
Professor Kiernan provides academic leadership in neurology and promotes partnerships between researchers and healthcare practitioners to optimise the translation of research into improved healthcare practice and policy.
ForeFront is the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital's multidisciplinary Motor Neurone Disease (MND) and Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) clinic located in the University of Sydney's Brain and Mind Centre.
Motor neurone disease (MND) is a rapidly progressing neurodegenerative disorder that is universally fatal. MND causes the nerves and muscles to atrophy leading to paralysis. The recent discovery of the C9orf72 gene's relevance to MND and FTD has revealed further links between the two syndromes.
The ForeFront clinic offers diagnostic assessments for patients with suspected motor neurone disease or frontotemporal dementia and multidisciplinary symptom management for patients diagnosed with motor neurone disease.
Our diagnostic team are able to perform traditional neurophysiology including electromyography and nerve conduction studies, as well as novel procedures such as nerve and muscle ultrasound, peripheral nerve excitability and transcranial magnetic stimulation.
For patients diagnosed with motor neurone disease the clinic provides multidisciplinary assessment, care plans and ongoing support along with the opportunity to participate in research projects including clinical trials.
The integration of research programs with the clinic enables our research to be driven by an understanding of the needs of primary and allied carers, patients and their families. This integration also facilitates the translation of research outcomes into improved healthcare practice and policy.
Professor Craig Anderson leads dynamic teams at The George Institute for Global Health, a world-class medical research institute, whose mission is to develop clinical practice and health policy for major chronic diseases and injury by conducting collaborative national and international multicentre clinical trials and population research. Craig Anderson is an international authority on the causes, treatment and management of stroke, and other aspects of cardiovascular disease. As a clinician-scientist, with specialist qualifications in two branches of internal medicine (neurology and geriatrics), as well as in public health and epidemiology, he has combined continuous clinical practice with conceiving, designing and conducting innovative large-scale, collaborative, inter-disciplinary, epidemiological and clinical trials research for the last 30 years. He has published widely in the above-named areas as well as on disability and chronic illness related to ageing, developed national clinical guidelines, and provided leadership to a range of large research groups and multi-national projects. He is as one of the world's leading clinical stroke trialists.
Professor David Burke:
- Reflex function in motor neurone disease, a study of interneuronal function in this disorder, with a view to determining whether spinal cord neurones in addition to motoneurones are involved. If so, this may have pathophysiological implications.
- Excitability of peripheral nerve axons in genetic channelopathies underlying episodic ataxia and epilepsy. These studies could provide surrogate markers of the response to treatment.
Associate Professor Michael Barnett CIA Michael Barnett (MBBS Hons 1, PhD, FRACP) is Associate Professor of Neurology at the Brain and Mind Centre (Sydney) and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He is the Director of the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Clinic and the MS Clinical Trials Unit at the Brain and Mind Centre, and co-director of the MS Research Australia Brain Bank.
A/Prof Barnett has delivered over 30 national and international invited lectures in the last 5 years, including keynote addresses at major international (such as PACTRIMS) and national (such as ANZAN) conferences - speaking across clinical, neuropathology and neuroimaging domains in multiple sclerosis. He is an active member of the MSRA clinical trials network committee, the MSRA Grant Review Committee, and a member of the scientific committee for PACTRIMS (Pan-Asian Committee for Treatment and Research in MS), responsible for assembly/organisation of the annual academic program. He has been an ad-hoc reviewer for major international journals in neurology including Lancet Neurology, Annals of Neurology, J Neurol Neurosurg Psych, Multiple Sclerosis, J Neuropath Exp Neur and J Clin Neurosci. He has chaired MS program sessions, sat on expert panels and been a member of program committees for several national and international Neurology conferences over the last 5 years. He convened the first neuroimaging course for Neurology Advanced Trainees at the Brain and Mind Centre in 2013; in 2014, this course has been brought under the ANZAN banner and combined with a new Neuropathology Course under the direction of Barnett and A/Prof Michael Buckland; and is now a compulsory course for advanced trainees in Neurology.
A/Prof Barnett is the primary supervisor MS/Neuroimmunology Fellow (based at the Brain and Mind Centre/RPAH, externally funded through end 2017), three PhD students (commenced 2014/2016, all in Neuroimaging), and two Honours students.
At a community level, the multiple sclerosis clinic at the Brain and Mind Centre has linearly expanded under his directorship and now offers an externally funded state-of-the-art multidisciplinary "one-stop" service co-located in the Brain and Mind Centre with the MS clinical trials unit. The clinic, which is 'staffed' by 6 MS neurologists, an MS Fellow, advanced trainees from RPAH, medical students, 2 MS nurse specialists, a continence advisor and physiotherapist, is the largest and only University-based MS clinic in NSW and has become a tertiary referral centre which accepts patients from across NSW (and beyond). Integration with the MS clinical research program has been highly successful. In 2011, infrastructure for telemedicine teaching clinics in multiple sclerosis was integrated into the clinic and the first node in this 'hub and spoke' model has been recently installed at the School of Rural Health in Dubbo.
RPA Department of Neurology
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
Camperdown NSW 2050
Phone Number: (02) 9515-7565
Fax Number: (02) 9515-9610
Brain and Mind Centre
Level 4, 94 Mallett St
Camperdown NSW 2050
Phone Number: (02) 9114-4250
Fax Number: (02) 9114-4254
Professor Craig Anderson
Craig Anderson continues to lead a sustained program of large-scale international clinical trials and population research with the specific aim of generating reliable evidence to inform health care providers and policy makers in Australia and overseas, in their decisions regarding the optimal strategies for the prevention and treatment of stroke and other aspects of cardiovascular disease (CVD). This research program uniquely links clinical medicine and public health, involves multidisciplinary teams in over 20 countries.
Professor David Burke
- Studies of reflex function in motor neurone disease are on-going.
- We have found abnormalities in peripheral nerve axons in diseases of the central nervous system (episodic ataxia and a benign form of epilepsy) with documented ion channel mutations, and studies in other forms of epilepsy are on-going.
- We have developed a new technique for documenting the function of specific channels (so-called HCN channels) in human peripheral nerve. In the central nervous system, these channels may be involved in epilepsy, and in the peripheral nerve, they may be involved in pain.
Professor Craig Anderson
- Asia Pacific Stroke Organisation - Leadership and Guidance in Stroke as President of APSO
Professor Matthew Kiernan
- M J Eadie Award by the Australian & New Zealand Association of Neurologists for Career Achievement in Neuroscience.
Dr Rebekah Ahmed
- Susie Harris Travelling Fellowship: MND Research Institute of Australia
- James Lance Young Investigator Award, Australian and New Zealand Association of Neurology
Dr Nidhi Garg
- NHMRC/MNDRIA co-funded postgraduate award 2016-2017
Dr Thanuja Dharmadasa
- Australian Postgraduate Award, University of Sydney
- MNDRIA PhD top-up Grant 2016-2018
- Rotary Club of Cronulla Funding Partner Scholarship, Australian Rotary Health
- Top up award from the Yugilbar Foundation (2016-2019)
- PhD Top up award from Rotary (2016-2019)
Higher Degree Students:
- Associate Professor Armin Nikpour
- Professor Matthew Kiernan (Group leader)
- Dr Rebekah Ahmed (Neurologist, PhD student)
- Dr Emma Devenney (Neurologist, PhD student)
- Dr Susanna Park (Senior Lecturer)
- Dr Tim Howells (Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
- Jashelle Caga (Health Psychologist, PhD Student)
- Dr Michael Lee (Neurophysiologist & Physiotherapist, Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
- Dr William Huynh (Neurologist, Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
- Dr Nidhi Garg (Neurologist, PhD Student)
- Dr Thanuja Dharmadasa (Neurologist, PhD Student)
- Dr Emily Mathey (Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Margie Zoing (MND CNC)
- Dr Yoshimitsu Shimatani (Neurologist, Japanese visiting researcher)
- Dr Yuichi Noto (Neurologist, Japanese visiting researcher)
- Dr Jose Mattamala Capponi (Neurologist, Chilean visiting researcher)
- Hannah Timmins (Research Assistant)
- Elizabeth Highton-Williamson (Research Assistant)
- Tiffany Li (Research Assistant)
- Nicollette Thornton (Research Assistant)
- Eleanor Ramsey (Research Coordinator)
- Associate Professor Cindy Lin
- Dr Anne Hogden (Occupational Therapist, Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
- Professor Craig Anderson
- Professor David Burke
- Dr Susan Tomlinson (Senior Lecturer, USyd, neurologist)
- Dr James Howells (Bill Gole Postdoctoral Fellow)
- Associate Professor Michael Barnett
- Dr Yi-Ching Lee
- Ms Harriet Swearman
- Dr Sully Fuentes
- Dr Susanne Grewe
- Dr Edward Chan - MD/MPhil joint degree
- Dr Anubhav Saxena - MD/MPhil joint degree
- Dr Xia Wang
- Dr Paula Muñoz-Venturelli
- Ms Danni Zheng
- Ms Xiaoying Chen
- Dr Zeljka Calic
- Ms Jashelle Caga
- Ms Elizabeth Highton-Williamson
- Ms Hannah Timmins
- Dr Emma Devenney
- Dr Thanuja Dharmadasa
- Dr Nidhi Garg
- Dr Rebekah Ahmed
- Dr Emma Devenney
- A/Prof Yahya Shehabi
- Ms N Kwai
- Dr Tim Eviston
- Dr Nimeshan Geevasinga
- 2016- Dr Joshua Barton. The visual system in MS.
- 2014- Dr Heidi Beadnall (MSRA Scholarship). Measuring brain atrophy in Multiple Sclerosis with using Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) techniques in Multiple Sclerosis (MS) in clinical practice: , with a focus on its correlation with disability and cognition.
- 2014- Chen-yu Wang (APA Scholarship). Elucidating the relationship between the progression of regional grey matter atrophy and the spatiotemporal white matter lesion patterns in patients with multiple sclerosis: a longitudinal study.
- 2013- Dr Mahtab Ghadiri (recipient of the BMC-McGill Scholarship; based at McGill University 2014/2015)
- Dr Emily Cheung, MPhil student
- Dr David Ho, MPhil student
- Mr Harry Irvine,MPhil student
Publications and Presentations
Associate Professor Armin Nikpour:
- Lechowicz, Meryn; Miller, Laurie; Irish, Muireann; Addis, Donna Rose; Mohamed, Armin; Lah, Suncica; Imagining future events in patients with unilateral temporal lobe epilepsy. British Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2016.
- Miller, Laurie A; Ricci, Monica; van Schalkwijk, Frank J; Mohamed, Armin; van der Werf, Ysbrand D; Determining the relationship between sleep architecture, seizure variables and memory in patients with focal epilepsy. Behavioral neuroscience. 2016;Vol 130 No.3;316.
- Xu, Ying; Nguyen, Dennis; Mohamed, Armin; Carcel, Cheryl; Li, Qiang; Kutlubaev, Mansur A; Anderson, Craig S; Hackett, Maree L; Frequency of a false positive diagnosis of epilepsy: A systematic review of observational studies. Seizure. 2016;41:167-174.
- Berriman, Joanne; Stevenson, Richard J; Thayer, Zoe C; Thompson, Elizabeth; Mohamed, Armin; Watson, John DG; Miller, Laurie A; Testing the importance of the Medial Temporal Lobes in human interoception: Does it matter if there is a memory component to the task? Neuropsychologia. 2016; 91:371-379.
Professor Matthew Kiernan
- Van den Bos MA, Geevasinga N, Menon P, Burke D, Kiernan MC, Vucic S (2016); Physiological processes influencing motor evoked potential duration with voluntary contraction; J Neurophysiol. 2016 Dec 28: jn.00832.2016. doi: 10.1152/jn.00832.2016.
- Van den Bos MA, Geevasinga N, Menon P, Burke D, Kiernan MC, Vucic S (2016); Physiological processes influencing motor evoked potential duration with voluntary contraction; J Neurophysiol. 2016 Dec 28: jn.00832.2016. doi: 10.1152/jn.00832.2016.
- Ahmed RM, Irish M, van Eersel J, Ittner A, Ke YD, Volkerling A, van der Hoven J, Tanaka K, Karl T, Kassiou M, Kril JJ, Piguet O, Götz J, Kiernan MC, Halliday GM, Hodges JR, Ittner LM (2016); Mouse models of frontotemporal dementia: A comparison of phenotypes with clinical symptomatology; Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017 Jan 11;74(Pt A):126-138. doi: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2017.01.004
- Devenney EM, Landin-Romero R, Irish M, Hornberger M, Mioshi E, Halliday GM, Kiernan MC, Hodges JR (2016); The neural correlates and clinical characteristics of psychosis in the frontotemporal dementia continuum and the C9orf72 expansion; Neuroimage Clin. 2016 Dec 2;13: 439-445. doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2016.11.028.
- Meininger V, Genge A, van den Berg LH, Robberecht W, Ludolph A, Chio A, Kim SH, Leigh PN, Kiernan MC, Shefner JM, Desnuelle C, Morrison KE, Petri S, Boswell D, Temple J, Mohindra R, Davies M, Bullman J, Rees P, Lavrov A; NOG112264 Study Group (2016); Safety and efficacy of ozanezumab in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial; Lancet Neurol. 2017 Jan 27. pii: S1474-4422(16)30399-4. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(16)30399-4.
- Timmins HC, Saw W, Cheah BC, Lin CS, Vucic S, Ahmed RM, Kiernan MC, Park SB (2016); Cardiometabolic Health and Risk of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis; Muscle Nerve. 2016 Dec 28. doi: 0.1002/mus.25547
- Farrar MA, Park SB, Vucic S, Carey KA, Turner BJ, Gillingwater TH, Swoboda KJ, Kiernan MC (2016); Emerging therapies and challenges in Spinal Muscular Atrophy; Ann Neurol. 2016 Dec 27. doi: 10.1002/ana.24864
- Garg N, Park SB, Vucic S, Yiannikas C, Spies J, Howells J, Huynh W, Matamala JM, Krishnan AV, Pollard JD, Cornblath DR, Reilly MM, Kiernan MC (2016); Differentiating lower motor neuron syndromes; J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2016 Dec 21. pii: jnnp-2016-313526. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2016-313526.
- Shahrizaila N, Noto Y, Simon NG, Huynh W, Shibuya K, Matamala JM, Dharmadasa T, Devenney E, Kennerson ML, Nicholson GA, Kiernan MC (2016); Quantitative muscle ultrasound as a biomarker in Charcot-Marie-Tooth neuropathy; Clin Neurophysiol. 2017 Jan;128(1):227-232. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2016.11.010.
- Burrell JR, Halliday GM, Kril JJ, Ittner LM, Götz J, Kiernan MC, Hodges JR. (2016). The frontotemporal dementia-motor neuron disease continuum. Lancet. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00737-6
- Matamala JM, Dharmadasa T, Kiernan MC (2016). Prognostic factors in C9orf72 amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2016-314685.
- Park SB, Kiernan MC, Vucic S (2016); Axonal Excitability in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: Axonal Excitability in ALS; Neurotherapeutics. 2016 Nov
- Pickering H, Murray J, Lin CS, Cormack C, Martin A, Kiernan MC, Krishnan AV (2016); Fampridine treatment and walking distance in multiple sclerosis: A randomised controlled trial; Clin Neurophysiol. 2017 Jan;128(1):93-99. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2016.10.088.PMID: 27871056
- Vucic S, Kiernan MC (2016), Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for the Assessment of Neurodegenerative Disease. Neurotherapeutics; 1-16. doi: 10.1007/s13311-016-0487-6
- Ahmed RM, Landin-Romero R, Collet TH, van der Klaauw AA, Devenney E, Henning E, Kiernan MC, Piguet O, Farooqi IS, Hodges JR (2016), Energy expenditure in frontotemporal dementia: a behavioural and imaging study, Brain. 2016 Oct 27. pii: aww263
- Talman P, Duong T, Vucic S, Mathers S, Venkatesh S, Henderson R, Rowe D, Schultz D, Edis R, Needham M, Macdonnell R, McCombe P, Birks C, Kiernan MC (2016); Identification and outcomes of clinical phenotypes in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease: Australian National Motor Neuron Disease observational cohort; BMJ Open. 2016 Sep 30;6(9): e012054. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012054. PMID: 27694488
- Al-Chalabi A, Hardiman O, Kiernan MC, Chiò A, Rix-Brooks B, van den Berg LH. (2016). Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: moving towards a new classification system. Lancet Neurol. 2016 Oct;15(11):1182-94. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(16)30199-5.
- Farrar MA, Vucic S, Nicholson G, Kiernan MC (2016). Motor cortical dysfunction develops in spinocerebellar ataxia type 3. Clin Neurophysiol; 15;127(11):3418-3424. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2016.09.005
- Shibuya K, Park SB, Howells J, Huynh W, Noto YI, Shahrizaila N, Matamala JM, Vucic S, Kiernan MC (2016). Laterality of motor cortical function measured by transcranial magnetic stimulation threshold tracking. Muscle Nerve. 2016 Aug 11. doi: 10.1002/mus.25372.
- Geevasinga N, Menon P, Özdinler PH, Kiernan MC, Vucic S (2016). Pathophysiological and diagnostic implications of cortical dysfunction in ALS. Nat Rev Neurol. doi: 10.1038/nrneurol.2016.140
- Van Rheenen W, Shatunov A, Dekker AM, McLaughlin RL, Diekstra FP, Pulit SL, van der Spek RA, Võsa U, de Jong S, Robinson MR, Yang J, Fogh I, van Doormaal PT, Tazelaar GH, Koppers M, Blokhuis AM, Sproviero W, Jones AR, Kenna KP, van Eijk KR, Harschnitz O, Schellevis RD, Brands WJ, Medic J, Menelaou A, Vajda A, Ticozzi N, Lin K, Rogelj B, Vrabec K, Ravnik-Glava? M, Koritnik B, Zidar J, Leonardis L, Grošelj LD, Millecamps S, Salachas F, Meininger V, de Carvalho M, Pinto S, Mora JS, Rojas-García R, Polak M, Chandran S, Colville S, Swingler R, Morrison KE, Shaw PJ, Hardy J, Orrell RW, Pittman A, Sidle K, Fratta P, Malaspina A, Topp S, Petri S, Abdulla S, Drepper C, Sendtner M, Meyer T, Ophoff RA, Staats KA, Wiedau-Pazos M, Lomen-Hoerth C, Van Deerlin VM, Trojanowski JQ, Elman L, McCluskey L, Basak AN, Tunca C, Hamzeiy H, Parman Y, Meitinger T, Lichtner P, Radivojkov-Blagojevic M, Andres CR, Maurel C, Bensimon G, Landwehrmeyer B, Brice A, Payan CA, Saker-Delye S, Dürr A, Wood NW, Tittmann L, Lieb W, Franke A, Rietschel M, Cichon S, Nöthen MM, Amouyel P, Tzourio C, Dartigues JF, Uitterlinden AG, Rivadeneira F, Estrada K, Hofman A, Curtis C, Blauw HM, van der Kooi AJ, de Visser M, Goris A, Weber M, Shaw CE, Smith BN, Pansarasa O, Cereda C, Del Bo R, Comi GP, D'Alfonso S, Bertolin C, Sorarù G, Mazzini L, Pensato V, Gellera C, Tiloca C, Ratti A, Calvo A, Moglia C, Brunetti M, Arcuti S, Capozzo R, Zecca C, Lunetta C, Penco S, Riva N, Padovani A, Filosto M, Muller B, Stuit RJ; PARALS Registry; SLALOM Group; SLAP Registry; FALS Sequencing Consortium; SLAGEN Consortium; NNIPPS Study Group, Blair I, Zhang K, McCann EP, Fifita JA, Nicholson GA, Rowe DB, Pamphlett R, Kiernan MC, Grosskreutz J, Witte OW, Ringer T, Prell T, Stubendorff B, Kurth I, Hübner CA, Leigh PN, Casale F, Chio A, Beghi E, Pupillo E, Tortelli R, Logroscino G, Powell J, Ludolph AC, Weishaupt JH, Robberecht W, Van Damme P, Franke L, Pers TH, Brown RH, Glass JD, Landers JE, Hardiman O, Andersen PM, Corcia P, Vourc'h P, Silani V, Wray NR, Visscher PM, de Bakker PI, van Es MA, Pasterkamp RJ, Lewis CM, Breen G, Al-Chalabi A, van den Berg LH, Veldink JH; (2016)Genome-wide association analyses identify new risk variants and the genetic architecture of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis; Nat Genet. doi: 10.1038/ng.3622.
- Dharmadasa T, Matamala JM, Kiernan MC. (2016); Treatment approaches in motor neurone disease. Curr Opin Neurol. Jul 22
- Geevasinga N, Menon P, Scherman DB, Simon N, Yiannikas C, Henderson RD, Kiernan MC, Vucic S (2016); Diagnostic criteria in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: A multicenter prospective study. Neurology; 2016 Aug 16;87(7):684-90. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000002988.
- Shibuya K, Park SB, Geevasinga N, Menon P, Howells J, Simon NG, Huynh W, Noto Y, Götz J, Kril JJ, Ittner LM, Hodges J, Halliday G, Vucic S, Kiernan MC (2016); Motor cortical function determines prognosis in sporadic ALS. Neurology. 2;87(5):513-20. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000002912
- Matamala JM, Kiernan MC (2016); Natural history and the dawning of a new era for familial ALS; J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. pii: jnnp-2016-313898. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2016-313898.
- Shahrizaila N, Sobue G, Kuwabara S, Kim SH, Birks C, Fan DS, Bae JS, Hu CJ, Gourie-Devi M, Noto Y, Shibuya K, Goh KJ, Kaji R, Tsai CP, Cui L, Talman P, Henderson RD, Vucic S, Kiernan MC (2016); Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and motor neuron syndromes in Asia; J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2016 Aug;87(8):821-30. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2015-312751.
- Dyer WB, Tan JC, Day T, Kiers L, Kiernan MC, Yiannikas C, Reddel S, Ng K, Mondy P, Dennington PM, Dean MM, Trist HM, Dos Remedios C, Hogarth PM, Vucic S, Irving DO (2016); Immunomodulation of inflammatory leukocyte markers during intravenous immunoglobulin treatment associated with clinical efficacy in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy; Brain Behav. 2016 Jul 14;6(10): e00516.PMID: 27781132
- Menon P, Geevasinga N, Yiannikas C, Kiernan MC, Vucic S (2016); Cortical contributions to the flail leg syndrome: Pathophysiological insights; Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2016 Jul-Aug;17(5-6):389-96. doi: 10.3109/21678421.2016.1145232.PMID: 26888565
- Noto YI, Shibuya K, Vucic S, Kiernan MC (2016); Novel therapies in development that inhibit motor neuron hyperexcitability in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: Expert Rev Neurother. Jun 17:1-8
- Halliday GM, Kiernan MC, Kril JJ, Mito R, Masuda-Suzukake M, Hasegawa M, McCann H, Bartley L, Dobson-Stone C, Kwok JB, Hornberger M, Hodges JR, Tan RH. (2016); TDP-43 in the hypoglossal nucleus identifies amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia: J Neurol Sci. Jul 15; 366:197-201. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2016.05.005.
- Ahmed RM, Caga J, Devenney E, Hsieh S, Bartley L, Highton-Williamson E, Ramsey E, Zoing M, Halliday GM, Piguet O, Hodges JR, Kiernan MC (2016); Cognition and eating behavior in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: effect on survival: J Neurol. 2016 Jun 3; PMID: 27260291
- Kiernan MC. (2016); The Babinski sign: Pract Neurol. Jun 8. pii: practneurol-2016-001417. doi: 10.1136/practneurol-2016-001417
- Huynh W, Pickering H, Howells J, Murray J, Cormack C, Lin CS, Vucic S, Kiernan MC, Krishnan AV (2016); Effect of fampridine on axonal excitability in multiple sclerosis: Clin Neurophysiol. Jul;127(7):2636-42. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2016.04.010.
- Huynh W, Simon NG, Grosskreutz J, Turner MR, Vucic S, Kiernan MC (2016); Assessment of the upper motor neuron in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: Clin Neurophysiol.;127(7):2643-60. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2016.04.025.
- Geevasinga N, Menon P, Ng K, Van Den Bos M, Byth K, Kiernan MC, Vucic S (2016); Riluzole exerts transient modulating effects on cortical and axonal hyperexcitability in ALS; Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2016 Jun 1:1-9. PMID: 27249331
- Borire AA, Visser LH, Padua L, Colebatch JG, Huynh W, Simon NG, Kiernan MC, Krishnan AV (2016); Utility of maximum perfusion sity as an ultrasonographic marker of intraneural blood flow: Muscle Nerve; 2016 May 26. doi: 10.1002/mus.25200.
- Ahmed RM, Devenney EM, Irish M, Ittner A, Naismith S, Ittner LM, Rohrer JD, Halliday GM, Eisen A, Hodges JR, Kiernan MC. (2016); Neuronal network disintegration: common pathways linking neurodegenerative diseases; J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry; pii: jnnp-2014-308350. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2014-308350.
- Shibuya K, Park SB, Geevasinga N, Huynh W, Simon NG, Menon P, Howells J, Vucic S, Kiernan MC (2016); Threshold tracking transcranial magnetic stimulation: Effects of age and gender on motor cortical function; Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 Jun;127(6):2355-61. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2016.03.009.
- Geevasinga N, Loy CT, Menon P, de Carvalho M, Swash M, Schrooten M, Van Damme P, Gawel M, Sonoo M, Higashihara M, Noto YI, Kuwabara S, Kiernan MC, Macaskill P, Vucic S (2016); Awaji criteria improves the diagnostic sensitivity in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: A systematic review using individual patient data. Clin Neurophysiol. pii: S1388-2457(16)30023-2. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2016.04.005
- Hsieh S, Irish M, Foxe D, Caga J, Devenney E, Ahmed R, Hodges JR, Piguet O, Kiernan MC (2016); My Memories Are Important to Me: Changes in Autobiographical Memory in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis; Neuropsychology. 2016 Nov;30(8):920-930.
- Menon P, Geevasinga N, Yiannikas C, Kiernan MC, Vucic S. (2016) Cortical contributions to the flail leg syndrome: Pathophysiological insights. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2016 Feb 18:1-8.
- Murray L, Butow PN, White K, Kiernan MC, D'Abrew N, Herz H (2016). Advance care planning in motor neuron disease: A qualitative study of caregiver perspectives. Palliat Med. 2016 Feb 4. pii: 0269216315613902
- Bae JS, Ferguson M, Tan R, Mioshi E, Simon N, Burrell J, Vucic S, Hodges JR, Kiernan MC, Hornberger M. (2016). Dissociation of Structural and Functional Integrities of the Motor System in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Behavioral-Variant Frontotemporal Dementia. Clin Neurol. 2016 Feb 26.
- Hornberger M, Kiernan MC. Emergence of an imaging biomarker for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: is the end point near? J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2016 Feb 29. pii: jnnp-2015-312882. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2015-312882.
- Ahmed RM, Irish M, Henning E, Dermody N, Bartley L, Kiernan MC, Piguet O, Farooqi S, Hodges JR. (2016). Assessment of Eating Behavior Disturbance and Associated Neural Networks in Frontotemporal Dementia. JAMA Neurol. 2016 Jan 25. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2015.4478
- Caga J, Turner MR, Hsieh S, Ahmed RM, Devenney E, Ramsey E, Zoing MC, Mioshi E, Kiernan MC. (2016). Apathy is associated with poor prognosis in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Eur J Neurol. doi: 10.1111/ene.12959
- Ahmed RM, Irish M, Piguet O, Halliday GM, Ittner LM, Farooqi S, Hodges JR, Kiernan MC. (2016). Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and frontotemporal dementia: distinct and overlapping changes in eating behaviour and metabolism. Lancet Neurol. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(15)00380-4.
- Park SB, Vucic S, Cheah BC, Lin CS, Kirby A, Mann KP, Zoing MC, Winhammar J, Kiernan MC. (2016). Flecainide in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis as a Neuroprotective Strategy (FANS): A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. EBioMedicine. 2015 Dec 1;2(12):1916-22. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2015.11.022.
- Kiernan MC (2016). 35,000 Days on Earth. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2015-312686.
Professor Craig Anderson:
- Heeley E, Billot L, Anderson CS, Antic NA, Neal B, McEvoy RD, for the SAVE Investigators. Statistical analysis plan for the Sleep Apnoea cardiovascular Endpoints study: An international randomised controlled trial to determine whether continuous positive airways pressure treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea in patients with CV disease prevents secondary cardiovascular events. Journal of Stroke 2016 January 11(1) 148-150 doi: 10.1177/1747493015607504
- Alim M, Lindley R, Felix C, Gandhi DBC, Verma SJ, Tugnawat DK, Syrigapu A, Anderson CS, Ramamurthy RK, Langhorne P, Murthy GVS, Shamanna BR, Hackett ML, Maulik PK, Harvey LA, Jan S, Liu H, Walker M, Forster A, Pandian JD. Family-led rehabilitation after stroke in India: the ATTEND trial, study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2016 January 17(1) 13 doi: 10.1186/s13063-015-1129-8
- Yu S, Arima H, Heeley E, Delcourt C, Krause M, Peng B, Yang J, Wu G, Chen X, Chalmers J, Anderson CS, INTERACT2 Investigators. White blood cell count and clinical outcomes after intracerebral haemorrhage: The INTERACT2 Trial. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 2016 February 361 112-116 doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2015.12.033
- Moullaali TJ, Sato S, Wang X, Rabinstein, Arima H, Carcel C, Chen G, Robinson T, Heeley E, Chan E, Delcourt C, Stapf C, Cordonnier C, Lindley RI, Chalmers J, Anderson CS. Prognostic significance of delayed intraventricular haemorrhage in the INTERACT studies. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2016 January doi: 10.113/jnnp-2015-311562 [Epub ahead of print]
- Brunser AM, Muñoz-Venturelli P, Lavados PM, Gaete J, Martins S, Arima H, Anderson CS, Olavarria VV. Head position and cerebral blood flow in acute ischemic stroke patients: Protocol for the pilot phase, cluster randomized, Head Position in Acute Ischemic Stroke Trial (HeadPoST pilot). International Journal of Stroke 2016 February 11(2) 253-259 doi: 10.1177/1747493015620808
- Zheng D, Arima H, Sato S, Gasparrini A, Heeley E, Delcourt C, Lo S, Huang Y, Wang J, Stapf C, Robinson T, Lavados P, Chalmers J, Anderson CS. Low Ambient Temperature and Intracerebral Haemorrhage The INTERACT2 Study. PloS One 2016 February 11(2) e149040 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0149040 eCollection
- Sato S, Delcourt C, Heeley E, Arima H, Zhang S, Salman R, Stapf C, Woo D, Flaherty ML, Achala V, Levi C, Davies L, Wang J, Robinson T, Lavados PM, Lindley RI, Chalmers J, Anderson CS, INTERACT2 Investigators. Significance of Cerebral Small Vessel Disease in Acute Intracerebral Haemorrhage. Stroke 2016 March 47(3) 701-707 doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.115.012147
- Saxena A, Anderson CS, Wang X, Sato S, Arima H, Chan E, Muñoz-Venturelli P, Delcourt C, Robinson T, Stapf C, Lavados PM, Wang J, Neal B, Chalmers J, Heeley E, INTERACT2 Investigators. Prognostic Significance of Hyperglycaemia in Acute Intracerebral Haemorrhage The INTERACT2 Study. Stroke 2016 March 47(3) 682-688 doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.115.011627
- Cadilhac DA, Kim J, Lannin NA, Levi CR, Dewey HM, Hill K, Faux S, Andrew NE, Kilkenny MF, Grimley R, Thrift AG, Grabsch B, Middleton S, Anderson CS et al, Australian Stroke Clinical Registry Consortium. Better Outcomes for Hospitalised Patients with TIA When in Stroke Units, an Observational Study. Neurology 2016 May 86(22) 2042-2048 doi.:10.1212/WNL.0000000000002715
- Song L, Sandset EC, Arima H, Heeley E, Delcourt C, Chen G, Yang J, Wu G, Wang X, Lavados PM, Huang Y, Stapf C, Wang J, Robinson TG, Chalmers J, Lindley RI, Anderson CS. Early Blood Pressure Lowering in Patients with Intracerebral Haemorrhage and Prior Use of Antithrombotic Agents: Pooled Analysis of the INTERACT Studies. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2016 May doi:10.1136/jnnp-2016-313246
- Delcourt C, Zhang S, Arima H, Sato S, Salman RA, Wang X, Davies L, Robinson T, Lavados PM, Chalmers J, Heeley E, Liu M, Lindley RI, Anderson CS. Significance of Haematoma Shape and Density in Intracerebral Haemorrhage. Stroke 2016 May 47(5) 1227-1232 doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.012921
- Muñoz-Venturelli P, Wang X, Lavados PM, Stapf C, Robinson T, Lindley R, Heeley E, Delcourt C, Chalmers J, Anderson CS, INTERACT2 Investigators. Prophylactic heparin in acute intracerebral haemorrhage: a propensity score-matched analysis of the INTERACT2 study. International Journal of Stroke 2016 July 11(5) 549-556 doi: 10.177/1747493016641113
- Zheng D, Sato S, Arima H, Heeley E, Delcourt C, Cao Y, Chalmers J, Anderson CS. Estimated GFR and the Effect of Intensive Blood Pressure Lowering After Acute Intracerebral Haemorrhage. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 2016 July 68(1) 94-102 doi: 10.1053 /j.ajkd.2016.01.020
- Carcel C, Sato S, Zheng D, Heeley E, Arima H, Yang J, Wu G, Chen G, Zhang S, Delcourt C, Lavados P, Robinson T, Lindley RI, Wang X, Chalmers J, Anderson CS, Trial 2 Investigators. Prognostic Significance of Hyponatremia in Acute Intracerebral Haemorrhage: Pooled Analysis of the Intensive Blood Pressure Reduction in Acute Cerebral Haemorrhage Trial Studies. Critical Care Medicine 2016 July 44(7) 1388-1394 doi: 10.1097/CCM. 0000000000001628
- Anderson CS, Robinson T, Lindley RI, Arima H, Lavados PM, Lee TH, Broderick JP, Chen X, Chen G, Sharma VK, Kim JS, Thang NH, Cao Y, Parsons M, Levi C, Huang Y, Olavarria VV, Demchuk AM, Bath PM, Donnan GA, Martins S, Pontes-Neto OM, Silva F, Ricci S, Roffe C, Pandian J, Billot L, Woodward M, Li Q, Wang X, Wang J and Chalmers J for the ENCHANTED Investigators and Coordinators. Low-Dose versus Standard-Dose Intravenous Alteplase in Acute Ischemic Stroke. New England Journal of Medicine 2016 June 374(24) 2313-2323 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1515510
- Silver B, Anderson CS. Review of Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial for Hypertension Management; How Low to Go for Patients with Stroke? Stroke 2016 June 47(6) 1692-1694. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.012402
- Qui M, Sato S, Zheng D, Wang X, Carcel C, Hirakawa Y, Sandset EC, Delcourt C, Arima H, Wang J, Chalmers J, Anderson CS for the INTERACT Investigators. Admission Heart Rate Predicts Poor Outcomes in Acute Intracerebral Haemorrhage. Stroke 2016 June 47(6) 1479-1485. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.115.012382
- Carcel C, Wang X, Sato S, Stapf C, Sandset EC, Delcourt C, Arima H, Robinson T, Lavados P, Chalmers J, Anderson CS for the INTERACT2 Investigators. Degree and Timing of Intensive Blood Pressure Lowering on Haematoma Growth in Intracerebral Haemorrhage. Stroke 2016 June 47(6) 1651-1653. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.013326
- Rannikmae K, Woodfield R, Anderson CS, Charidimou A, Chiewvit P, Greenberg SM, Jeng JS, Meretoja A, Palm F, Putaala J, Rinkel GJE, Rosand J, Rost NS, Srtbian D, Tatlisumak T, Tsai CF, Wermer MJH, Werring D Yeh SJ, Salman RA, Sudlow CLM. Reliability of Intracerebral Haemorrhage Classification Systems - A Systematic Review. International Journal of Stroke 2016 August 11(6) 626-636 doi: 10.1177/1747493016641962
- Bath PM, Woodhouse L, Krishnan K, Anderson C, Berge E, Ford GA, Robinson TG, Laver JL, Sprigg N, Wardlaw JM, in Acute Stroke Collaboration. Effect of Treatment Delay, Stroke Type, and Thrombolysis on the Effect of Glyceryl Trinitrate, a Nitric Oxide Donor, on Outcome After Acute Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Individual Patients from Randomised Trials. Stroke Research and Treatment 2016 ID 9706720 doi:10.1155/2016/9706720
- Gabb GM, Mangoni AA, Anderson CS, Cowley D, Dowden JS, Golledge J, Hankey GJ, Howes FS, Leckie L, Perkovic V, Schlaich M, Zwar NA, Medley TL, Arnolda L. Guideline for the Diagnosis and Management of Hypertension in Adults - 2016. Medical Journal of Australia 2016 July 205(2) 85-89
- Wang X, Cao Y, Hong D, Zheng D, Richtering S, Sandset EC, Leong TH, Arima H, Islam S, Salam A, Anderson C, Robinson T, Hackett ML. Ambient Temperature and Stroke Occurrence. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2016 July 13(7) doi: 10.3390/ijerph13070698
- Cao Y, Wang X, Zheng D, Robinson T, Hong D, Richtering S, Leong TH, Salam A, Anderson C, Hackett ML. Air Pressure, Humidity and Stroke Occurrence: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2016 July 13 (7) doi: 10.3390/ijerph13070675
- The International Consortium of Investigators for Fairness in Trial Data Sharing. Toward Fairness in Data Sharing. New England Journal of Medicine 2016 August 375(5) 405-407 doi: 10.1056/NEJMp160565.
- Ajwani S, Jayanti S, Burkolter N, Anderson C, Bhole S, Itaoui R, George A. Integrated Oral Care for Stroke Patients. Cerebrovascular Diseases 2016 42(suppl 1): 141
- Ajwani S, Jayanti S, Burkolter N, Anderson C, Bhole S, Itaoui R, George A. Integrated Oral Health Care for Stroke Patients-A Scoping Review. Journal of Clinical Nursing 2016 August doi: 10.1111/jocn.13520. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bulpitt CJ, Webb R, Beckett N, Peters R, Cheek E, Anderson C, Antikainen R, Staessen JA, Rajkumar C. Antihypertensive treatment decreases arterial stiffness at night but not during the day. Results from the Hypertension in the Very Elderly Trial. Blood Pressure 2016 Aug Epub 22 1-6. 26(2) 109-114 doi: 10.1080/08037051.2016.1219222
- Zheng D, Sato S, Cao YJ, Arima H, Carcel C, Chalmers J, Anderson CS, INTERACT Investigators. Circadian Variation in Clinical Features and Outcome in Intracerebral Haemorrhage: The INTERACT Studies. Chronobiology International Epub August 2016 33(9) 1182-1187 doi: 10.1080/07420528.2016.1210158
- Calic Z, Cappelen-Smith, Anderson CS, Xuan W, Cordato DJ. Cerebellar Infarction and Factors Associated with Delayed Presentation and Misdiagnosis. Cerebrovascular Diseases 2016 42(5-6) 476-484. Epub 2016 August doi: 10.1159/000448899
- Liu H, Lindley R, Alim M, Felix C, Gandhi DB, Verma SJ, Tugnawat DK, Syrigapu A, Ramamurthy RK, Pandian JD, Walker M, Forster A, Anderson CS, Langhorne P, Murthy GV, Shamanna BR, Hackett ML, Maulik PK, Harvey LA, Jan S. Protocol for process evaluation of a randomised controlled trial of family-led rehabilitation post stroke (ATTEND) in India. BMJ Open 2016 September 6(9) e012027 doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012027
- Newbury J, Kleinig T, Leyden J, Arima H, Castle S, Cranefield J, Paterson T, Jannes J, Crotty M, Anderson C. Stroke Epidemiology in an Australian Rural Cohort (SEARCH). International Journal of Stroke September 2016 doi: 10.1177/1747493016670174 [Epub ahead of print]
- McEvoy DR, Antic NA, Heeley E, Luo Y, Ou Q, Zhang X, Mediano O, Chen R, Drager LF, Liu Z, Chen G, Du B, McArdle N, Mukherjee S, Tripathi M, Billot L, Si Q, Lorenzi-Filho G, Barbe F, Redline S, Wang J, Arima H, Neal B, White DP, Grunstein RR, Zhong N, Anderson CS and the SAVE Investigators and Coordinators. CPAP for Prevention of Cardiovascular Events in Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. New England Journal of Medicine 2016 September 375(10) 919-931 doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1606599
- Chan E, Anderson CS, Wang X, Arima H, Saxena A, Moullaali TJ, Delcourt C, Wu G, Wang J, Chen G, Lavados PM, Stapf C, Robinson T, Chalmers J, INTERACT Investigators. Early Blood Pressure Lowering Does Not Reduce Growth of Intraventricular Haemorrhage following Acute Intracerebral Haemorrhage: Results of the INTERACT Studies. Cerebrovascular Diseases Extra Epub 2016 September 6(3) 71-75 doi: 10.1159/000448897
- Adey-Wakeling Z, Liu E, Crotty M, Leyden J, Kleinig T, Anderson CS, Newbury J. Hemiplegic shoulder pain reduces quality of life after acute stroke: A prospective Population Based Study. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2016 October 95(10) 758-763 doi: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000000496
- Yu S, Muhunthan J, Lindley R, Glozier N, Jan S, Anderson C, LI Q, Hackett ML. Driving in stroke survivors aged 18-65 years: The Psychosocial Outcomes in Stroke (POISE) Cohort Study. International Journal of Stroke 2016 October 11(7) 799-806 doi: 10.1177/1747493016641952
- Yan LL, Chen S, Zhou B, Zhang J, Xie B, Luo R, Wang N, Lindley R, Zhang Y, Zhao Y, Li X, Liu X, Peoples N, Bettger JP, Anderson C, Lamb SE, Wu Y, Shi J. A randomized controlled trial on rehabilitation through caregiver-delivered nurse-organised service programs for disabled stroke patients in rural china (the RECOVER trial): design and rationale. International Journal of Stroke 2016 October 11(7) 823-830 doi: 10.1177/1747493016654290
- Olavarria V, Arima H, Anderson CS, Brunser A, Muñoz-Venturelli P, Billot L, Lavados PM and the HeadPost Pilot Investigators. Statistical Analysis plan of the Head Position in acute ischemic Stroke Trial pilot (HEADPOST pilot). International Journal of Stroke 2016 October doi: 10.1177/1747493016674955 [Epub ahead of print]
- Muñoz-Venturelli P, Robinson T, Lavados PM, Olavarria VV, Arima H, Billot L, Hackett ML, Lim JY, Middleton S, Pontes-Neto O, Peng B, Ciu L, Song L, Mead G, Watkins C, Lin RT, Lee TH, Pandian J, de Silva A, Anderson CS and the HeadPost Investigators. Regional variation in acute stroke care organisation. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 2016 371 126-130 doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2016.10.026
- Anderson CS. Depression After Stroke - Frequency, Risk Factors and Mortality Outcomes. JAMA Psychiatry 2016 73(10) 1013-1014. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2016.1868
- Muñoz-Venturelli P, Wang X, Zahuranec DB, Lavados PM, Stapf C, Lindley R, Delcourt C, Chalmers J, Anderson CS, Robinson TG, for the INTERACT2 Investigators. Withdrawal of Active Treatment After Intracerebral Haemorrhage in the INTERACT2 Study. Age and Ageing 2016 November [Epub ahead of print] 46(2) 329-332 doi: 10.1093/ageing/afw187\
- Sun W, Xian Y, Huang Y, Sun W, Liu R, Li F, Wei JW, Wang JG, Liu M, Wu Y, Wong LKS, Anderson CS, the ChinaQUEST Investigators. Obesity is Associated with Better Survival and Functional Outcome After Acute Intracerebral Haemorrhage. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 2016 November 15;370 140-144. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2016.09.029
Professor David Burke:
- Tomlinson, S.E., Tan, S.V., Burke, D., Labrum, R., Hawarth, A., Gibbons, V., Sweeney, M., Griggs, R.C., Kullmann, D.M., Bostock, H. & Hanna, M.G. (2016). In vivo impact of presynaptic calcium channel dysfunction on motor axons in episodic ataxia type 2. Brain 139: 380-391.
- Burke, D., Valls-Solé, J. & Herman, S.T. (2016). The practice of Clinical Neurophysiology. Clin. Neurophysiol. Pract. 1: 1.
- Burke, D. (2016). Clinical uses of H reflexes of upper and lower limb muscles. Clin. Neurophysiol. Pract. 1: 9-17.
- Howells, J., Bostock, H. & Burke, D. (2016). Accommodation to hyperpolarization of human axons assessed in the frequency domain. J. Neurophysiol. 116: 322-335.
- Burke, D. (2016). Clinical practice highlights in Clinical Neurophysiology in 2015 (January-March). Clin. Neurophysiol. Pract. 1: 46-49.
- Burke, D. (2016). Clinical practice highlights in Clinical Neurophysiology in 2015 (April-June). Clin. Neurophysiol. Pract. 1: 50-53.
Associate Professor Michael Barnett:
- Wang C, Beadnall HN, Hatton SN, Bader G, Tomic D, Silva DG, Barnett MH.Automated brain volumetrics measurement in multiple sclerosis: a step closer to clinical application? J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2016 Apr 12.
- Klistorner A, Wang C, Yiannikas C, Graham SL, Parratt J, Barnett MH. Progressive Injury in Chronic Multiple Sclerosis Lesions Is Gender-Specific: A DTI Study. PLoS One. 2016 Feb 22;11(2):e0149245.
- Risk of early relapse following the switch from injectables to oral agents for multiple sclerosis. Spelman T, Mekhael L, Burke T, Butzkueven H, Hodgkinson S, Havrdova E, Horakova D, Duquette P, Izquierdo G, Grand'Maison F, Grammond P, Barnett M, Lechner-Scott J, Alroughani R, Trojano M, Lugaresi A, Granella F, Pucci E, Vucic S; MSBase Study Group. Eur J Neurol. 2016 Jan 19. doi: 10.1111/ene.12929. [Epub ahead of print]
- Migration and Multiple Sclerosis in Immigrants from United Kingdom and Ireland to Australia: a Reassessment. III. Risk of Multiple Sclerosis in UKI Immigrants and Australian-born in Hobart, Tasmania. . Michael H Barnett1, James G McLeod1, Simon R Hammond2, John F Kurtzke3* Accepted JOON 3/02/2016
- Plasma levels of endothelial and B-cell-derived microparticles are restored by fingolimod treatment in multiple sclerosis patients. Anna Zinger, Sharissa L Latham, Valery Combes, Scott Byrne, Michael H Barnett, Simon Hawke and Georges E Grau. MSJ accepted 2/3/2016
- Kilstorner A, ... Barnett MH. Progressive loss of retinal ganglion cells and axons in non-optic neuritis eyes in multiple sclerosis: a longitudinal optical coherence tomography study
- Barnett MH, Mathey E, Kiernan MC, Pollard JD. Axon pathology in CNS and PNS inflammatory demyelinating diseases: Common and divergent pathways of dysfunction and tissue damage. Current Opinion Neurology. Accepted 2/3/2016.
- Stewart T, Spelman T, Havrdova E, Horakova D, Trojano M, Izquierdo G, et al. Contribution of different relapse phenotypes to disability in multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler in press, accepted 16/03/2016
- Todd A Hardy, BSc (Hons), PhD, MBBS; Stephen W Reddel; Michael H Barnett; Jacqueline Palace; Claudia F Lucchinetti; Brian G. Weinshenker. The spectrum of atypical CNS inflammatory demyelinating disease. The lancet Neurology. Accepted 12/4/2016.
- Todd A. Hardy, Chenyu Wang, Heidi N. Beadnall, Jim Lagopoulos, Yael Barnett, Alexander Klistorner, Michael Barnett. Wallerian degeneration in the corticospinal tract following tumefactive demyelination: conventional and advanced magnetic resonance imaging Accepted Canadian J Neurol Sci 12/4/2016.
- Robert Zivadinov, Dejan Jakimovski, Sirin Gandhi, Rahil Ahmed, Michael G. Dwyer, Dana Horakova, Bianca Weinstock-Guttman, Ralph RH. Benedict, Manuela Vaneckova, Michael Barnett, Niels Bergsland, Clinical relevance of brain atrophy assessment in multiple sclerosis. Implications for its use in a clinical routine. Expert Review Neurotherapeutics May 13:1-17. 2016.
- J Lorscheider et al. Defining secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Brain. Accepted 3/6/2016.
- Klistorner A, Wang C, Fofanova V, Barnett MH, Yiannikas C, Parratt J, You Y, Graham SL. Diffusivity in multiple sclerosis lesions: At the cutting edge? Neuroimage Clin. 2016 Jul 5;12:219-26.
- C Tao et al. Higher latitude is significantly associated with an earlier age of disease onset in multiple sclerosis. JNNP accepted 8/9/16.
- H Beadnall et al. Virus-related Merkel Cell Carcinoma Complicating Fingolimod Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis. Neurology accepted 8/9/16.
- Barton J, Hardy T, Riminton S, Reddel SW, Barnett Y, Coles A and Barnett MH. Tumefactive demyelination following treatment for relapsing multiple sclerosis with alemtuzumab. Neurology. Accepted 22/11/2016.
- Egger C, Opfer R, Wang C, Kepp T, Sormani MP, Spies L, Barnett M, Schippling S. MRI FLAIR lesion segmentation in Multiple Sclerosis: Does automated segmentation hold up with manual annotation?. Neuroimage: Clinical. Accepted 22/11/2016.
- Saurabh Jain, Annemie Ribbens, Diana M Sima, Melissa Cambron, Jacques De Keyser, Chenyu Wang, Michael H Barnett, Sabine Van Huffel, Frederik Maes, Dirk Smeets. Two time point MS lesion segmentation in brain MRI: an expectation-maximisation framework. Frontiers in Neuroscience. Accepted 25/11/2016.
Professor Craig Anderson:
- Delcourt C, Anderson C. Intracerebral Haemorrhage. In Smith M, Citerio G, Kofke W (Eds). Oxford Textbook of Neurocritical Care Oxford University Press 2016. 242-250
- Anderson C. Intracerebral Haemorrhage. In Johnston MV, Adams HP, Fatemi SA (Eds). Neurobiology of Disease, Second Edition. Oxford University Press 2016: 8(111)
- Delcourt C, Anderson C. Epidemiology of Stroke. In Webb A, Angus D, Finfer S, Gattinoni L, Singer M (Eds). Oxford Textbook of Critical Care. Oxford University Press. 2016: 1112-1114.
- Delcourt C, Anderson C. Diagnosis and assessment of Stroke. In Webb A, Angus D, Finfer S, Gattinoni L, Singer M (Eds). Oxford Textbook of Critical Care. Oxford University Press. 2016: 1115-1116.
- Pararroyo S, Anderson C. Management of Ischaemic Stroke. Delcourt C, Anderson C. In Webb A, Angus D, Finfer S, Gattinoni L, Singer M (Eds). Oxford Textbook of Critical Care. Oxford University Press. 2016: 1117-1120.
- Delcourt C, Anderson C. Management of Parenchymal Haemorrhage. In Webb A, Angus D, Finfer S, Gattinoni L, Singer M (Eds). Oxford Textbook of Critical Care. Oxford University Press. 2016: 1121-1125.
Professor Matthew Kiernan:
- British Medical Journal (BMJ) Editors Retreat Journal of Neurology; Neurosurgery and Psychiatry; London, UK, December 2016
- The 27th International Symposium on ALS/MND Dublin, Ireland December 2016 (Speaker, Chair)
- Cure 4 MND (October 2016) Melbourne, invited Attendee
- National Health and Medical Research Council (August 2016) NHMRC GRP week grant meetings Melbourne, Australia, invited attendee
- Freeze MND (June 2016) Melbourne, invited attendee
- ALS Clinical Trials Guidelines (March 16th- 19th, 2016), Airlie House, Warrenton, VA Hotel & Conference Center, USA.
- Sydney Health Partners Annual Forum (February 2016), Sydney, Australia. (Speaker)
- Invitation to the launch of the Deloitte Access Economics report 'Economic Analysis of motor neurone disease in Australia', (February 2016), Parliament House, Canberra, Australia. (Speaker)
- Workshop with the NSW Office of Health & Medical Research to discuss collaboration on dementia studies (February 2016) Sydney, Australia
- NNIDR Team Grant Meeting, (February 2016) Canberra, Australia
- Invitation to RMIT, Melbourne, Australia, January 2016; Meeting to discuss links between Dementia and MND.
- 19th National Conference of Neurology, Chinese Society of Neurology (September 2016), Guangzhou, China (Speaker)
- 15th Asian and Oceanian Congress of Neurology (August 2016) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Speaker/Chair)
- ANZAN Meeting (May 2016) Perth, Australia (Speaker)
- Irish Neurological Association Meeting, (May 2016), Limerick, Ireland. (Speaker)
- Australian Association of Clinical Geneticists, February 2016, Sydney, Australia (Speaker)
Dr William Huynh:
- Invited speaker for the Australasian Brain Stimulation Conference, 28-29 July 2016
Dr Nidhi Garg:
- 2016 Inflammatory Neuropathy Consortium
Dr Rebekah Ahmed:
- Ahmed RM, Caga J, Devenney E, Bartley L, Zoing M, Ramsey E, Piguet O, Hodges J, Kiernan M. Eating behaviour and cognition in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: effect on survival. ALS International Symposium, Dublin, Ireland, 2016
- Ahmed RM, Caga J, Devenney E, Bartley L, Zoing M, Ramsey E, Piguet O, Hodges J, Kiernan M. Eating behaviour and cognition in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: effect on survival. ANZAN National meeting, Perth, May, 2016. Awarded James Lance Yong Investigator award.
Professor Craig Anderson:
- Invited speaker "Blood Pressure Management in Acute ICH". AHA International Stroke Conference 2016. Los Angeles, California. February 2016.
- Invited speaker "Solutions for millions of customers: Australian health and aged care case studies". Seminar: Smart Health and Ageing. Austrade, China delegation. Hangzhou, China. April 2016.
- Invited speaker "ENCHANTED Main Results - Trial of low-dose versus standard-dose intravenous tissue plasminogen activator in 3310 patients with acute ischaemic stroke". ESOC 2016. Barcelona, Spain. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "ENCHANTED insights into thrombolysis strategy". Boehringer Ingelheim Acute Stroke Satellite Symposium. ESOC 2016. Barcelona, Spain. May 2016.
- Chair "Scientific Oral Communication, Cerebral Haemorrhage". ESOC 2016. Barcelona, Spain. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "Results of the ENCHANTED Study on Low dose r-tPA in Acute Ischaemic Stroke". 56° Congresso Nazionale SNO. Catania, Italy. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "Terapia Medical dell'emorragia Cerebrale - Medical Therapy of Cerebral Haemorrhage". 56° Congresso Nazionale SNO. Catania, Italy. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "How can enhance the quality of stroke registries". Tianfu International Stroke Conference. Chengdu, China. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "What bias to address in case-control and cohort study designs?" Tianfu International Stroke Conference. Chengdu, China. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "How to critique a research paper". Tianfu International Stroke Conference. Chengdu, China. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "How to get an article published". Tianfu International Stroke Conference. Chengdu, China. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "Enchanted TPA dose - Implications for Clinical Practice". Tianfu International Stroke Conference. Chengdu, China. May 2016.
- Invited speaker "Future directions in the management of intracerebral haemorrhage". 12th International Stroke Summit. Nanjing, China. June 2016.
- Invited speaker "Implications of ENCHANTED trial result for Chinese stroke patients". 12th International Stroke Summit. Nanjing, China. June 2016.
- Session chair "Acute stroke therapy - Medical". APSC 2016. Brisbane, Australia. July 2016.
- Invited speaker "ENCHANTED Trial". APSC 2016. Brisbane, Australia. July 2016.
- Session chair "ICH - Intracerebral Haemorrhage". APSC 2016. Brisbane, Australia. July 2016.
- Invited speaker "Low dose vs Standard Dose of Intravenous Alteplase in Acute Ischemic Stroke: Results of ENCHANTED Trial and Implications in the ASEAN Region". Stroke Society of the Philippines (SSP) 17th Annual Convention. Subic, Philippines. August 2016.
- Invited speaker "Treatment of Intracerebral Haemorrhage. What will bring us the near future?". Bern Stroke Symposium. Bern, Switzerland. August 2016.
- Facilitator Florey 15th Annual Scientific Meeting. Melbourne, Australia. September 2016.
- Invited speaker (VC presentation) "Perspective on the ATACH 2 results as the PI for INTERACT". Annual Neuro Criticalcare Society Meeting, Washington. September 2016.
- Invited speaker "AHA/ASA Guideline of blood pressure control for ICH". HCMC Stroke Conference. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. September 2016.
- Invited speaker "Enchanted insights into thrombolysis strategy". HCMC Stroke Conference. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. September 2016.
- Invited speaker "Sleep Apnoea cardioVascular Endpoints (SAVE) study: an international randomised controlled trial to determine whether continuous positive airways pressure treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea in patients with CV disease prevents secondary cardiovascular events". Hypertension Seoul 2016. Seoul, Korea. September 2016.
- Session chair "Oral Session 18: Elderly hypertension". Hypertension Seoul 2016. Seoul, Korea. September 2016.
- Invited speaker "Safety of early intensive blood pressure lowering in cerebral small vessel disease and chronic kidney disease in acute intracerebral haemorrhage". Hypertension Seoul 2016. Seoul, Korea. September 2016.
- Invited speaker "SAVE Trial Results: Treatment of Sleep Apnoea for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease". 27th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Beijing, China. October 2016.
- Moderator "Heart Health Research Centre (HHRC) Clinical Research Training (1)". 27th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Beijing, China. October 2016.
- Invited speaker "How I Get My Papers Published in NEJM". 27th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Beijing, China. October 2016.
- Invited speaker "Research Methods and Their Proper Use". 27th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Beijing, China. October 2016.
- Invited speaker "How to Get Your Research Published in High Impact Journals". 27th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Beijing, China. October 2016.
- Invited speaker "BP management in acute stroke". Joint WSO-APSO Session. 10th World Stroke Conference. Hyderabad, India. October 2016.
- Invited speaker "BP management for acute ischemic and haemorrhagic stroke". TTST 2016. Kobe, Japan. October 2016.
- Invited speaker "Dosage of alteplase: ENCHANTED implications for practice". TTST 2016. Kobe, Japan. November 2016.
- Invited speaker "Stroke trials in Asia: advantages and limitations". TTST 2016. Kobe, Japan. November 2016.
- Invited speaker "Practical limitations of acute stroke trial design when applied to countries across the globe". Global Alliance of Independent Networks focused on Stroke trials (GAINS) workshop. Ontario, Canada. December 2016.
- Invited speaker "Can treatment of obstructive sleep apnoea reduce cardiovascular endpoints? (SAVE) study results in clinical context". Joint Annual Scientific Meeting, AAS, HBPRCA & AVBS. Hobart, Australia. December 2016.
- Invited Speaker "Randomized controlled trials". Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine. Shanghai, China. December 2016.
Professor David Burke:
- ANZAN Registrars' Training Weekend, Sydney, 18th-20th March, 2016. Invited presentation: "How to set up a global practice". NATIONAL
- 32nd Clinical Neurophysiology EEG-EMG Congress, Bodrum, Turkey. April 27th-May 1st, 2016. Invited presentation: "Pathophysiology of Spasticity". INTERNATIONAL
- 32nd Clinical Neurophysiology EEG-EMG Congress, Bodrum, Turkey. April 27th-May 1st, 2016. Invited presentation: "Recent insights into axonal excitability". INTERNATIONAL
- Department of Neurology, Korea University, Seoul, South Korea, October 20th, 2016. Invited lecture: "H reflexes and F waves in assessing the integrity of the reflex arc in the upper and lower limbs". INTERNATIONAL
- Guest Professor, 20th Anniversary Meeting of the Korean Society of Clinical Neurophysiology, Seoul, South Korea, October 21st 2016. Plenary (invited) lecture: "Biophysical properties of human sensory and motor axons and the implications for disease". INTERNATIONAL
- 46th Annual Scientific Meeting, Japanese Society of Clinical Neurophysiology, October 27th-29th, 2016. Invited Plenary Lecture: "Axonal excitability and axonal function". INTERNATIONAL
- 46th Annual Scientific Meeting, Japanese Society of Clinical Neurophysiology, October 27th-29th, 2016. Invited "meet-the-expert" presentation: "Testing Spinal Cord Excitability in studies using NIBS". INTERNATIONAL
- Center for Basic and Translational Neuroscience, Panum Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark, November 24th, 2016. Invited Departmental Seminar: "Biophysical properties of human sensory and motor axons and the implications for disease". INTERNATIONAL
Associate Professor Michael Barnett:
- "New and emerging therapies for multiple sclerosis". Keynote Speaker, Hong Kong Neurological Society, Hong Kong
- Whole brain volume quantification in multiple sclerosis: ready for translation into clinical practice? AAN 2016
- A New Method to Construct and Validate an Optic Radiation Template using Probabilistic Tractography Chenyu Wang , Alexander Klistorner , Linda Ly , Ruth A Oliver , and Michael H Barnett ISMRM 2016 Singapore
- Complete partial volume solution for ASL brain perfusion data applied to relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients. Ruth Oliver, Chenyu Wang, Linda Ly, Michael Barnett ISMRM 2016 Singapore
ECTRIMS 2016 - accepted abstracts
- Anti-inflammatory disease modifying treatment does not attenuate disability progression in secondary progressive multiple sclerosis
- Individual response to disease modifying therapies: A global observational cohort study
- Australian cladribine experience
- Anti-inflammatory disease modifying treatment does not attenuate disability progression in secondary progressive multiple sclerosis
- Lymphocyte count in peripheral blood is not associated with the level of clinical response to treatment with fingolimod
- Pregnancy protects against long-term disability accrual in relapsing-remitting MS
- Defining a robust disease severity phenotype for use in genetic association studies
- MS FIRST - utilising a longitudinal, prospective, comparative drug safety module for use in everyday MS clinical practice to evaluate and track incidence and characteristics of safety outcomes in MS patients on therapy over the long term
- Comparison of MS outcomes after Switching to Natalizumab versus staying on Interferon-beta or glatiramer
- Comparative analysis of MS outcomes in natalizumab-treated patients using a novel three-way multinomial propensity score match
- Comparative analysis of MS outcomes in dimethyl fumarate-treated patients relative to propensity matched fingolimod, teriflunomide, interferon or glatiramer acetate
- Effect of pregnancy on disease course in progressive MS: a case-control study
- Durable reduction in MRI disease activity with alemtuzumab in treatment-naïve patients with active relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: 6-year follow-up of the CARE-MS I study
- Alemtuzumab improves clinical outcomes over 4 years in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis who switched from SC IFNB-1a: CARE-MS II extension study 4-Year follow-up)
- Alemtuzumab suppresses MRI disease activity over 6 years in patients with active relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis and an inadequate response to prior therapy (CARE-MS II)
- Alemtuzumab durably slows brain volume loss over 6 years in the absence of continuous treatment in patients with active RRMS who were treatment-naive (CARE-MS I) or had an inadequate response to prior therapy (CARE-MS II)
- Automated segmentation of FLAIR lesion volume and number: Validation and comparison to manual inter-rater variability" C. Egger et al.
- Quantifying Lesion Progression in Multiple Sclerosis: a novel Magnetic Resonance Imaging pipeline. Wang et al
- A multicentre study of quantitative susceptibility mapping in sub-cortical deep gray matter structures in relapsing multiple sclerosis. Zivadinov et al
- Comparison of cortical perfusion between relapse-remitting multiple sclerosis patients and healthy controls measured using Arterial Spin Labelling MRI. Oliver et al
- Myelin Oligodendrocyte Glycoprotein Antibodies are Associated with Bilateral and Recurrent Optic Neuritis and have a Distinct Radiological Profile to Multiple Sclerosis or Aquaporin-4 Antibody-associated Optic Neuritis. Ramanathan et al.
YEARS total $$
Prof Matthew Kiernan
Bushell Chair Fund
National Health & Medical Research Council NH&MRC
Prof Matthew Kiernan
Frontotemporal dementia and motor neurodegenerative syndromes Program Grant # 1037746
DVC Research/Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Scheme
Huynh W, Kiernan M
Motor Neuron Disease: A multidisciplinary approach to unravel the clinical phenotypes, and to improve diagnosis and management outcomes.
Park S, Krishnan A, Goldstein D, Friedlander M, Lin C, Kwok J, Boyle F, Horvath L, Haas M, Barnes E
Long Term Nerve Damage in Cancer Survivors: identification of risk factors & Optimal Assessment Strategies
Motor Neurone Disease Research Institute of Australia
Dr James Howells
Bill Gole Fellowship
Dementia Team Grant
Prof Glenda Halliday et al
Dementia Team Grant, Non-Alzheimer’s disease degenerative dementias: identifying prodromal genetic/familial phenotypes, modifying factors, and protein variants involved in progression
National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants
Kiernan M, Lin C, Pollard J, Mathey E, Park S, Vucic S
Nodal Function in Peripheral Neuroinflammatory Disorders Target Antigens, Functional Significance and Treatment Response
Motor Neuron Research Institute of Australia
Park S, Kiernan M, Fulham M, Ahmed RM, Hunyh W, Rowe D
In vivo markers of ALS disease activity – linking metabolic and neurophysiological approaches
Motor Neurone Disease Research Institute of Australia/Grants in aid
Park S, Kiernan M, Fulham M, Ahmed R, Huynh W, Rowe D
In vivo markers of ALS disease activity – linking structure to function
Sydney Neuroimaging Analysis Centre and Genzme-Sanofi
Vision in Multiple Sclerosis
Sydney Neuroimaging Analysis Centre and Novartis Australia
Optic Radiation in Multiple Sclerosis
Sydney Neuroimaging Analysis Centre and Biogen
Cortical Function in Multiple Sclerosis
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Associate Professor Armin Nikpour
Telephone: (02) 9515 7565
Facsimile: (02) 9515 9610