Concord hospital pharmacy is currently involved in many research activities and quality improvement projects. Pharmacy has commenced a research interest group and there are many projects underway. The department together with Prof Andrew McLachlan hosted two honours student projects during 2016:
- Investigating the clinical and economic impact of antimicrobial stewardship audit and feedback rounds at a University Teaching Hospital
- Drug Interaction Alerts: what is a good catch?.
Antimicrobial Stewardship (AMS) aims to improve the quality use of antimicrobial agents from antibiotics to antifungal and antiviral medicines. The AMS team have furthered this agenda through a range of quality improvement projects from utilising our innovative electronic prescribing system to qualitative evaluation of our novel Vascular Surgery MDT meeting.
We pride ourselves on integrated multidisciplinary research that involves clinical outcomes and assist ground-level clinicians in addition to providing higher level governance and behavioural change. In 2017, the AMS team hopes to further evaluate the outcomes of interventions made and to discover new ways to improve antimicrobial use.
The Pharmacy Investigational Drugs Unit is staffed by Lucy Nigro, Marian Kow and Katina Bilbilis. The unit currently supports the administration and dispensing of over 100 drug clinical trials from Phase 1 stage to phase 4 stage. Most trial activity is in the areas of Haematology, Gastroenterology and Respiratory. Approximately 30% of studies are investigator initiated, group studies or local in-house studies. In addition the unit is responsible for the procurement of investigational drugs under the Special Access Scheme.
The Pharmacy Investigational Drugs Unit is responsible for administrative procedures associated with the setting-up of a Clinical Drug Trial. This includes drug accountability, temperature monitoring, development of randomisation schedules and aseptic reconstitution as needed.
The RPA Hospital Pharmacy Department is currently involved in many quality improvement projects and is also supports phase 1 to 4 clinical drug trials through their Investigational Drugs Unit.
National and International Awards:
HFESA's 2016 Alan Welford Award - for the best paper on human factors and ergonomics published in a peer-reviewed journal "What are incident reports telling us?" International Journal for Quality in Healthcare Journal
2016 Prime Minister's Award for Excellence in Public Sector Management - Silver winner to NSW Government, Sydney Local Health District - Electronic Medication Management at Concord Hospital
SHPA 2016 Conference - Best first time oral presenter - Natalie Kahwajy - Recording drugs for bugs: intensive care unit to the ward.
2016 NSW Premier's Awards for Public Service: Improving service levels in hospitals (finalist)
Higher Degree Students:
- Fiona Doukas, Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacist
- Russell Levy
- Romana Cecchele
- Ceridwen Jones
- Angela Wai
- Omar Mubaslat
- Arwa Abu Sardaneh
- Fiona Warner
- Mark Sheppard
- Fady Gad
- Ms. Fiona Doukas, Master of Philosophy (Pharmacy)
Publications and Presentations
- Smyth B, Jones, C, Saunders J Prescribing for patienst on dialysis, Aust Prescriber 2016 Feb 29 (1) 21-4
- Lee A, Rode A, Nicoll A, Maczurek AE, Lim L, Lim S, Angus P, Kronborg I,Arachchi N, Gorelik A, Liew D, Warner FJ, McCaughan GW, McLennan SV, Shackel NA. Circulating CD147 predicts mortality in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Feb;31(2):459-66.
- Bonnichsen M.H., Liu K., Jones C., Bowen D., Koorey D., Shackel N., McCaughan G.W., Strasser S.I. Use of everolimus in liver transplantation: An Australian experience. Hepatology International. Conference: 26th Annual Conference of the Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver, APASL 2017. China. Conference Start: 20170215. Conference End: 20170219. 11 (1 Supplement 1) (pp S534), 2017. Date of Publication: February 2017.
- Sardaneh AA, Burke R, Ritchie A, McLachlan Aj, Lehnbom EC. Pharmacist-led admission medication reconciliation before and after the implementation of an electronic medication management system. Int J Med Inform 2017 May;101:41-49
- Fiona Doukas, Eunice Liu, Thomas Gottlieb. 'Tinidazole'. Kucers' The Use of Antibiotics Seventh Edition: A Clinical Review of Antibacterial, Antifungal and Antiviral Drugs - in press
National and International:
- Abu Sardaneh A, Burke R, Ritchie A, McLachlan A, Lehnbom E: Pharmacist-led admission medication reconciliation: Does electronic medication management help? National SHPA Conference Perth 2016 Poster Presentation
- Kahwajy N, McLachlan A, Doukas F, Cross R: Recording Drugs for Bugs: Intensive care unit to the ward. National SHPA Conference Perth 2016 Paper Presentation
- Kylie Horne, Ann Versporten, Kelly A Cairns, Estelle Hames, Fiona F Doukas, Allen C Cheng, Tony Korman, Herman Goossens, Thomas Gottlieb. The Global Point Prevalence Survey of Antimicrobial Consumption and Resistance (Global-PPS): Antimicrobial prescribing in Australian Hospitals, ECCMID, Amsterdam, 2016 (International)
- Fiona Doukas, Elaine Cheong, Thomas Gottlieb. Comparison of prescriber attitudes and beliefs towards antimicrobial stewardship over a 10 year period: Can the message be sustained? Antimicrobials, Melbourne, 2016 (National)
- Doukas F, Ritchie A, Gray T, McKew G. eAMS: opportunities in antimicrobial stewardship with the utilisation of daily ePrescribing reports. National Medicines Symposium, Canberra, 2016 (National)
- Doukas F, McKew G.Line Busters: improving conversion from parenteral to oral antimicrobial use. National Medicines Symposium, Canberra, 2016 (National)
- Doukas F, Lee A. Experience of a Volunteer Pharmacist in Papua New Guinea: an innovative way of balancing the realities of clinical practice. National Medicines Symposium, Canberra, 2016 (National) District: Sydney Innovation and Research Symposium (Fiona and Rosemary)
- Sardaneh AA. Pharmacist-led admission medication reconciliation: Does electronic medication management help?The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia - Medicines Management.
Gad F. SHPA conference MM2016 November 2016.
- Concord Hospital Grand Rounds Pharmacy Presentation - Dosing In Obese Patients
- Sheppard M. Grand Rounds 16: How many white pills was that? Improving Medication Reconciliation - A team effort; Med Safety Week 16: Medication reconciliation. 2016.
- Jones C. SHPA renal seminar in "drugs and dialysis" talk to pharmacists. 2016.
- Jones C. Lecture to RMOs with Dr Brendan Smythe on "Safe Prescribing in Renal Impairment". 2016.
- Jones c. Annual lecture to postgrad Transplant Nursing course "Immunosuppressants and Medications in Transplantation". 2016.
- Jones C. Annual tutorial in postgrad Advanced Liver Disease Workshop (for advanced practice liver clinic nurses) on "Medication management in Liver Disease". 2016.
- Jones C. Orientation of Medical Interns- 1 hours lecture on medication safety, and afterwards one-to-one assessment of a charting task. 2016
- Jones C. JMO Orientation twice a year at intake times-a more advanced lecture on Medication Safety. 2016.
- Jones C. JMOE Protected teaching session "Prescribing 102". 2016.
- Jones C. PRINT (Medical PreIntern students) Structured, Clinical, Objective Referenced, Problem-based, Integrated and Organised (SCORPIO) workshop session. 2016.
- Sardaneh AA. Systematic review - Admission medication reconciliation: Factors associated with medication discrepancies (RPAH, CRGH).
||YEARS total $$
||CONCORD Pharmacy Department Technicians and Assistants
||Pharmacy Team at RPA, Concord, Concord Centre for Mental Health, Canterbury and Balmain Hospitals
||Clinical Competency Assessment Seminar for Pharmacists
||Pharmacy Technician - Concord
||Certificate III/IV funding
||Pharmacist - Seniha Karacete
||Attend Mausley Forum presented by the institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience in London
|SHPA Hospira Young Pharmacist Award 2016
||Pharmacist - Fiona Doukas
||Maximising the use of electronic prescribing systems in Antimicrobial Stewardship - visit to USA and Canada
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Miss Rosemary Burke and Mr Russell Levy
Concord Hospital and RPA Hospital
Concord and Camperdown
Telephone: (02) 9767 6480 (CRGH) and (02) 9515 8658 (RPAH)
Facsimile: (02) 9767 7826 (CRGH) and (02) 9515 6133 (RPAH)