Tissue Pathology and Diagnostic Oncology
Tissue Pathology and Diagnostic Oncology staff are involved in a wide variety of research projects investigating the precursor lesions, pathogenesis, histopathology, molecular pathology and prognostic/predictive biomarkers in many human diseases. Key areas of active research involve a major focus on molecular oncology - developing new approaches to diagnosing and predicting the behaviour of a range of cancers, including melanoma, lung, prostate and head & neck cancer, as well as predictive markers for targeted therapies.
- Record number (71) of peer-reviewed journal articles authored or co-authored by staff from Department of Tissue Pathology and Diagnostic Oncology, RPAH, with numerous on and off campus collaborators (e.g. Chris O'Brien Lifehouse, Melanoma Institute of Australia, Garvan Institute, amongst others).
- Professor Richard Scolyer received the prestigious RPAH Foundation Research Medal
- Professor Richard Scolyer became highest ever published scientist in world melanoma pathology with highest H index in field (according to Thomson Reuters ISI Web of Knowledge) in 2016.
- Staff specialists from Tissue Pathology (Drs Kench, Scolyer, McKenzie, Cooper, Mahar, Gupta) invited to contribute to contribute to key international publications by WHO, AJCC and ICCR.
- Scolyer, R. 2016 Award Foundation Research Medal and Prize. Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- Scolyer, R. 2016 Premiers Wildfire Award, most cited article published in 2013: Long GV,Wilmott JS et al (Richard Scolyer senior author), Am J Surg Pathol 2013 - Cancer Institute NSW
- Cooper W. Commendation award. Abstract mini-oral and poster presentation. 'Comparison of PD-L1 expression in NSCLC using 3 different antibody clones'. IAP Australasia, 40th Annual Scientific Meeting 2016.
- Gupta R. First prize at the International Federation of Head and Neck Oncology (IFHNOS), Seattle, USA: PD-L1 Expression Predicts Improved Disease Free Survival in High Risk Head and Neck Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Roper E, Lum T, Palme CE, Ashford B, Ch'ng S, Ranson M, Boyer M, Clark JR, Gupta R 2016
- Gupta R. Best paper published in the Journal of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology: Diagnostic and prognostic utility of Mastermind-like 2 (MAML2) gene rearrangement detection by fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) in mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary glands. Luk PP, Wykes J, Selinger CI, Ekmejian R, Tay J, Gao K, Eviston TJ, Lum T, O'Toole SA, Clark JR, Gupta R. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2016 May;121(5):530-41.
- Gupta R. Best proffered paper at the Australia New Zealand Head and Neck Cancer Society and IFHNOS World Tour Meeting: Somatic mutations in salivary duct carcinoma and potential therapeutic targets. Khoo TK, Yu B, Smith J, Clarke AJ, Luk PP, Selinger CI, Mahon KL, Kraitsek S, Palme C, Boyer MJ, Dinger ME, Cowley MJ, O'Toole SA, Clark JR, Gupta R. Auckland 2016
Higher Degree Students:
- Postdoctoral research fellow, Dr James Wilmott.
- Postdoctoral research fellow, Dr Camelia Quek.
- Clinical Trial and Laboratory Research Assistant, Rebecca Dent.
- Pathology Fellow, Dr Louise Jackett.
- Pathology Fellow, Dr Robert Rawson.
- Clinical Trial and Laboratory Research Assistant, Paula Ordonez.
- Laboratory Research Assistant, Keshia Bastians.
- Laboratory Research Assistant, Jarem Edwards.
- Laboratory Research Assistant, Jason Madore.
- Laboratory Research Assistant, Ping Shang.
- Rajat Rai
- Tuba Nur Gurde
- Hansol Lee
- Bruce Ashford
Publications and Presentations
- Kalsbeek AM, Chan EF, Grogan J, Petersen DC, Jaratlerdsiri W, Gupta R, Lyons RJ, Haynes AM, Horvath LG, Kench JG, Stricker PD, Hayes VM. Mutational load of the mitochondrial genome predicts pathological features and biochemical recurrence in prostate cancer. Aging 2016; 8:2702-2712
- Bailey P, Chang DK, Nones K, Johns AL, Patch A-M, Gingas M-C, Miller D, Christ A, Bruxner T, Nourse C, Murtaugh C, Harliwong I, Kench JG, Gibbs RA, Pearson JV, Waddell N, Biankin AV, Grimmond SM. Genomic analyses identify molecular subtypes of pancreatic cancer. Nature 2016; 531:47-52
- Egevad L, Delahunt B, Evans A, Grignon DJ, Kench JG, Kristiansen G, Leite KR, Samaratunga H, Srigley JR. International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP) grading of prostate cancer. Am J Surg Pathol 2016;40:858-61
- Gandy R, Barbour A, Nikfarjam M, Haghighi K, Kench J, Saxena P, Goldstein D. Refining the care of patients with pancreatic cancer: the AGITG Pancreatic Cancer Workshop consensus. Med J Aust 2016: 204:419-22
- Liu K, Joseph D, Lai K, Kench J, Ngu MC. Abdominal actinomycosis presenting as appendicitis: two case reports and review. J Surg Case Rep 2016; 5:10-3
- Bruce HM, Stricker PD, Gupta R , Savdie RR, Haynes A-M, Mahon KL, Lin HM, Kench JG*, Horvath LG* Loss of AZGP1 as a superior predictor of relapse in margin-positive localized prostate cancer. Prostate 2016; 76:1491-1500
- Satgunaseelan L, Gupta R, Madore J, Chia N, Lum T, Palme CE, Boyer M, Scolyer RA, Clark JR. Programmed cell death-ligand 1 expression in oral squamous cell carcinoma is associated with an inflammatory phenotype. Pathology. 2016; 48:574-80
- Vargas AC, Selinger CI, Satgunaseelan L, Cooper WA, Gupta R, Stalley P, Brown W, Soper J, Schatz J, Boyle R, Thomas DM, Tattersall MH, Bhadri VA, Maclean F, Bonar SF, Scolyer RA, Karim RZ, McCarthy SW, Mahar A, O'Toole SA. Atypical Ewing sarcoma breakpoint region 1 fluorescence in-situ hybridization signal patterns in bone and soft tissue tumours: diagnostic experience with 135 cases. Histopathology. 2016; 69:1000-1011
- Satgunaseelan L, Virk SA, Lum T, Gao K, Clark JR, Gupta R. p16 expression independent of human papillomavirus is associated with lower stage and longer disease-free survival in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Pathology. 2016; 48:441-8
- Morosin T, Ashford B, Ranson M, Gupta R, Clark J, Iyer NG, Spring K. Circulating tumour cells in regionally metastatic cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma: A pilot study. Oncotarget. 2016; 7:47111-47115
- Luk PP, Wykes J, Selinger CI, Ekmejian R, Tay J, Gao K, Eviston TJ, Lum T, O'Toole SA, Clark JR, Gupta R. Diagnostic and prognostic utility of Mastermind-like 2 (MAML2) gene rearrangement detection by fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) in mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary glands. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2016; 121:530-41
- Low TH, Gao K, Gupta R, Clifford A, Elliott M, Ch'ng S, Milross C, Clark JR. Factors predicting poor outcomes in T1N0 oral squamous cell carcinoma: indicators for treatment intensification. ANZ J Surg. 2016; 86(5):366-71
- Heiduschka G, Virk SA, Palme CE, Ch'ng S, Elliot M, Gupta R, Clark J. Margin to tumor thickness ratio - A predictor of local recurrence and survival in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2016; 55:49-54
- Luk PP, Weston JD, Yu B, Selinger CI, Ekmejian R, Eviston TJ, Lum T, Gao K, Boyer M, O'Toole SA, Clark JR, Gupta R. Salivary duct carcinoma: Clinicopathologic features, morphologic spectrum, and somatic mutations. Head Neck. 2016; 38 Suppl 1:E1838-47
- Buckley L, Gupta R, Ashford B, Jabbour J, Clark JR. Oropharyngeal cancer and human papilloma virus: evolving diagnostic and management paradigms. ANZ J Surg. 2016; 86:442-7
- Eviston TJ, Yabe TE, Gupta R, Ebrahimi A, Clark JR. Parotidectomy: surgery in evolution. ANZ J Surg. 2016; 86:193-9
- Bremnes RM, Lill-Tove Busund LT, Thomas L. Kilvær TL, Erna Elise Paulsen EE, Hald S, Rakaeekhanehkenari M, Cooper WA, Kao SC, Dønnem T. The role of tumour infiltrating lymphocytes in development, progression and prognosis of non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2016; 11:789-800
- Barnet M, O'Toole S, Horvath L, Selinger C, Yu B, Ng C, Boyer M, Cooper WA, Kao S. Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) co-mutated advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and response to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKIs). J Thorac Oncol 2016 Sep 14. pii: S1556-0864(16)30946-7. doi: 10.1016
- Jo H, Levin K, Glaspole I, McCormack S, Mahar A, Cooper W, Cameron R, Ellis S, Cottee A, Webster S, Troy L, Torzillo P, Corte P, Symons K, Taylor N, Corte TJ. Clinical impact of the interstitial lung disease multidisciplinary service. Respirology 2016 Jul 18. doi: 10.1111/resp.12850. [Epub ahead of print].
- Lyle M, Haydu LE, Menzies, AM, Thompson JF, Saw RPM, Spillane AJ, Kefford RJ, Mann GJ, Cooper WA, Yu B, Scolyer RA, O'Toole SA, Long GV. The molecular profile of metastatic melanoma in Australia. Pathology 2016. 48:188-193
- Kao, SC, Kirschner MB, Cooper WA, Tran T, Burgers S, Wright C, Korse, T, van den Broek D, Edelman J, Vallelly M, McCaughan B, Pavlakis N, Clarke S, Molloy M, van Zandwijk N, Reid G. A proteomics-based approach identifies Secreted Protein Acidic and Rich in Cysteine (SPARC) in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Br J Cancer 2016; 114:524-31
- Tran, TN., Selinger, CI, Kohonen-Corish, MRJ., McCaughan, B, Kennedy, C, O'Toole SA, Cooper WA. Alterations of MET gene copy number and protein expression in primary non-small cell lung cancer and nodal metastases. Clinical Lung Cancer. 2016; 17:30-38
- Luk PP, Selinger CI, Eviston TJ, Lum T, Yu B, O'Toole SA, Clark JR, Gupta R. Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma: an evaluation of its clinicopathological and genetic characteristics. Pathology 2015; 47:659-66.
- van Geldermalsen M, Wang Q, Nagarajah R, Marshall AD, Thoeng A, Gao D, Ritchie W, Feng Y, Bailey CG, Deng N, Harvey K, Beith JM, Selinger CI, O'Toole SA, Rasko JE, Holst J. ASCT2/SLC1A5 controls glutamine uptake and tumour growth in triple-negative basal-like breast cancer. Oncogene. 2016; 35:3201-8.
- Tran TN, Selinger CI, Kohonen-Corish MR, McCaughan B, Kennedy C, O'Toole SA, Cooper WA. Alterations of MET Gene Copy Number and Protein Expression in Primary Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer and Corresponding Nodal Metastases. Clin Lung Cancer. 2016; 17:30-8.
- Jo HE, Glaspole IN, Levin KC, McCormack SR, Mahar AM, Cooper WA, Cameron R, Ellis SJ, Cottee AM, Webster SE, Troy LK, Torzillo PJ, Corte P, Symons KM, Taylor N, Corte TJ. Clinical impact of the interstitial lung disease multidisciplinary service. Respirology. 2016; 21:1438-1444.
- McCaughan GJ, Fulham MJ, Mahar A, Soper J, Hong AM, Stalley PD, Tattersall MH, Bhadri VA. Programmed cell death-1 blockade in recurrent disseminated Ewing sarcoma. J Hematol Oncol. 2016; 3;9:48.
- Butnor KJ, Brownlee NA, Mahar A, Pavlisko EN, Sporn TA, Roggli VL. Diffuse malignant mesothelioma and synchronous lung cancer: A clinicopathological study of 18 cases. Lung Cancer. 2016; 95:1-7
- Yang LS, Cameron K, Papaluca T, Basnayake C, Jackett L, McKelvie P, Goodman D, Demediuk B, Bell SJ, Thompson AJ. Cyclophosphamide-associated enteritis: A rare association with severe enteritis. World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22:8844-8848.
- Jackett LA, McCarthy SW, Scolyer RA. SOX10 expression in cutaneous scars: a potential diagnostic pitfall in the evaluation of melanoma re-excision specimens. Pathology. 2016 Oct;48(6):626-8.
- Imanishi J, Slavin J, Pianta M, Jackett L, Ngan SY, Tanaka T, Charoenlap C, DI Bella C, Choong PF. Tail of Superficial Myxofibrosarcoma and Undifferentiated Pleomorphic Sarcoma After Preoperative Radiotherapy. Anticancer Res. 2016; 36:2339-44.
- Patrick E, Schramm S-J, John T. Ormerod JT, Scolyer RA, Mann GJ, Mueller S, Yang JYH. A multi-step classifier addressing cohort heterogeneity improves performance of prognostic biomarkers in three cancer types. Oncotarget (2016)
- Damian DL, Martin AJ, Scolyer RA, Chen AC, Halliday GM. A phase II randomized controlled trial of nicotinamide for skin cancer chemoprevention in renal transplant recipients. Br J Dermatol (2016)
- Chen AC, Martin AJ, Dalziell RA, McKenzie CA, Lowe PM, Eris JM, Scolyer RA, Dhillon HM, Vardy JL, Bielski VA, Halliday GM, Damian DL. A Phase 2 Randomised Controlled Trial of Nicotinamide for Skin Cancer Chemoprevention in Renal Transplant Recipients. Br J Dermatol (2016)
- Cheng HM, Lo S, Scolyer RA, Meekings A, Carols G, Guitera P. Accuracy of optical coherence tomography for the diagnosis of superficial basal cell carcinoma - a prospective, consecutive, cohort study of 168 cases. Br J Dermatol (2016)
- Griewank K, Moeller I, Murali R, Muller H, Wiesner T, Jackett L, Scholz S, Cosgarea I, van de Nes J, Sucker A, Hillen U, Schilling B, Paschen A, Kutzner H, Ruetten A, Bockers M, Schadendorf D, Scolyer RA. Activating cysteinyl leukotriene receptor 2 (CYSLTR2) mutations in blue nevi. Mod Pathol (2016)
- Rawson R, Robbins E, McCarthy SW, Scolyer RA. Angiomatoid Spitz naevus: novel observations and clues to diagnosis of a rare variant. Pathology (2016)
- Kakavand H, Walker E, Lum T, Wilmott JS, Selinger CI, Smith E, Saw RP, Yu B, Cooper WA, Long GV, O'Toole SA, Scolyer RA. BRAFV600E and NRASQ61L/Q61R mutation analysis in metastatic melanoma using immunohistochemistry: a study of 754 cases highlighting potential pitfalls and guidelines for interpretation and reporting. Histopathology 2016; 4:680-686
- Ge L, Vilain RE, Lo S, Aivazian K, Scolyer RA, Thompson JF. Breslow thickness measurements of melanomas around AJCC staging cut-off points: imprecision and terminal digit bias have important implications for staging and patient management. Ann Surg Oncol (2016)
- McKenzie CA, Chen AC, Choy B, Fernandez-Penas P, Damian DL, Scolyer RA. Classification of high risk basal cell carcinoma subtypes: experience of the ONTRAC study with proposed definitions and guidelines for pathological reporting. Pathology (2016)
- De Paoli-Iseppi R, Johansson PA, Menzies AM, Dias KR, Pupo GM, Kakavand H, Wilmott JS, Mann GJ, Hayward NK, Dinger ME, Long GV, Scolyer RA. Comparison of whole-exome sequencing of matched fresh and formalin fixed paraffin embedded melanoma tumours: implications for clinical decision making. Pathology (2016)
- Mahar AL, Compton C, Halabi S, Hess KR, Gershenwald JE, Scolyer RA, Groome PA Critical Assessment of Clinical Prognostic Tools in Melanoma. Ann Surg Oncol (2016)
- Guitera P, Menzies SW, Argenziano G, Longo C, Losi A, Drummond M, Scolyer RA, Pellacani G. Dermoscopy and in vivo confocal microscopy are complimentary techniques for the diagnosis of difficult amelanotic and light coloured skin lesions. Br J Dermatol (2016)
- Crookes, T, Scolyer RA, Spillane A, Drummond M Extranodal Spread is Associated with Recurrence and Poor Survival in Stage III Cutaneous Melanoma Patients. Annals of Surgical Oncology (2016)
- Vargas AC, Selinger C, Satgunaseelan L, Cooper W, Gupta R, Stalley P, Brown W, Soper J, Schatz J, Boyle R, Thomas D, Tattersall M, Bhadri V, Maclean F, Bonar F, Scolyer R, Karim R, McCarthy S, Mahar A. FISH analysis of selected soft tissue tumours - diagnostic experience in a tertiary centre. Pathology Journal (2016)
- Billings S, Ko JS, Prieto VG, Elson P, Vilain RE, Pulitzer M, Scolyer RA, Reynolds JP, Piliang M, Ernstoff MS, Gastman B. Histologic pattern of Merkel cell carcinoma sentinel lymph node metastasis improves stratification of Stage III patients. Mod Pathol (2016)
- Jayawardana K, Schramm SJ, Tembe V, Mueller S, Thompson JF, Scolyer RA, Mann GJ, Yang J Identification, Review, and Systematic Cross-Validation of microRNA Prognostic Signatures in Metastatic Melanoma. J Invest Dermatol (2016)
- Prieto-Granada CN, Lezcano C, Scolyer RA, Mihm MC, Piris A Lethal Melanoma in Children: A Clinicopathological Study of 12 Cases. Pathology (2016)
- Lazova R, Seeley EH, Kutzner H, Scolyer RA, Scott G, Cerroni L, Fried I, Kozovska ME, Rosenberg AS, Prieto VG, Shehata BM, Durham MM, Henry G, Rodriguez-Peralto JL, Riveiro-Falkenbach E, Schaefer JT, Danialan R, Fraitag S, Vollenweider-Roten S, Sepehr A, Sangueza M, Hijazi N, Corredoira Y, Kowal R, Harris OM, Bravo F, Boyd AS, Gueorguieva R, Caprioli RM. Mass Spectrometry Imaging in the diagnosis of difficult Atypical Spitzoid Neoplasms. J Am Acad Dermatol (2016)
- Maher NG, Blumetti TP, Gomes EE, Cheng HM, L. Satgunaseelan L, Lo S, Rezze GG, Scolyer RA, Guitera P. Melanoma diagnosis may be a pitfall for optical coherence tomography assessment of equivocal amelanotic or hypomelanotic skin lesions. British Journal of Dermatology (2016)
- Haydu LE, Stollman JT, Scolyer RA, Spillane AJ, Quinn MF, Saw RPM, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Bonenkamp JJ, Thompson JF. Minimum Safe Pathologic Excision Margins for Primary Cutaneous Melanomas (1-2 mm in Thickness): Analysis of 2131 Patients Treated at a Single Center. Annals of Surgical Oncology (2016)
- Fox C, Lambie D, Wilmott JS, Pinder A, Pavey S, Le Cao K-A, Akalin T, Karaarslan I, Ozdemir F, Scolyer RA, Yamada M, Soyer P, Schaider H, Gabrielli B. Multiparameter analysis of naevi and primary melanomas identifies a subset of naevi with elevated markers of transformation. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res (2016)
- Johansson PA, Pritchard A, Patch AM, Wilmott JS, Pearson JV, Waddell N, Scolyer RA, Mann GJ, Hayward NK Mutation load in melanoma is affected by MC1R genotype. Pigment Cell & Melanoma Research (2016)
- Hong AM, Vilain RE, Romanes S, Yang J, Smith E, Jones D, Scolyer RA, Soon Lee C, Zhang M, Rose B. PD-L1 expression in tonsillar cancer is associated with human papillomavirus positivity and improved survival: implications for anti-PD1 clinical trials. Oncotarget (2016)
- Beckers RK, Selinger C, Vilain RE, Jadore J, Wilmott JS, Harvey K, Holliday A, Cooper CL, Robbins E, Kennedy CW, Gluch L, Carmalt H, Mak C, Warrier S, Gee HE, Chan C, McLean A, Beith JM, Swarbrick A, Scolyer RA, O'Toole SA. PD-L1 expression in triple negative breast cancer is associated with tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes and improved outcome. Histopathology. 2016; 69:25-34
- Bosisio F, Wilmott JS, Volders N, Mercier M, Wouters J, Stas M, Blokx W, Massi D, Thompson JF, Scolyer RA, van Baren N, van den Oord J. Plasma cells in primary melanoma. Prognostic significance and possible role of IgA. Mod Pathol (2016)
- Busam KJ, Villain RE, Lum T, Busam JA, Hollmann TJ, Saw RPM, Coit DC, Scolyer RA, Wiesner T. Primary and metastatic cutaneous melanomas express ALK through alternative transcriptional initiation. Am J Surg Pathol (2016)
- van de Nes J, Gessi M, Sucker A, Möller I, Stiller M, Horn S, Scholz SL, Pischler C, Stadler N, Schilling B, Zimmer L, Hillen U, Scolyer RA, Buckland ME, Lauriola L, Pietsch T, Waha A, Schadendorf D, Murali R, Griewank K. Targeted next generation sequencing reveals unique mutation profile of primary melanocytic tumors of the central nervous system. J Neurooncol (2016)
- Deken MA, Gadiot J, Jordanova ES, Lacroix R, van Gool M, Kroon P, Pineda C, Geukes Foppen MH, Scolyer RA, Song J-Y, Verbrugge I, Hoeller C, Dummer R, Haanen JBAG, Long GV, Blank CU Targeting the MAPK and PI3K pathways in combination with PD1 blockade. OncoImmunology (2016)
- MacKenzie Ross AD, Haydu LE, Quinn MJ, Saw RPM, Shannon KF, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Scolyer RA, Thompson JF. The association between excision margins and local recurrence in 11,290 thin (T1) primary cutaneous melanomas; a case control study. Ann Surg Oncol (2016)
- Lyle M, Haydu LE, Menzies AM, Thompson JF, Saw RP, Spillane AJ, Kefford RF, Mann GJ, Cooper WA, Yu B, Scolyer RA, O'Toole SA, Long GV. The molecular profile of metastatic melanoma in Australia. Pathology (2016)
- Léon C.L. van Kempen, Margaret Redpath, Mounib Elchebly, Kathleen Oros Klein, Andreas I. Papadakis, James S. Willmott, Richard A. Scolyer, Per-Henrik Edqvist, Fredrik Pontén, Dirk Schadendorf, Anke F. van Rijk, Stefan Michiels, Anne Dumay, Anne Helbling-Leclerc, Philippe Dessen, Jasper Wouters, Marguerite Stass, Celia M.T. Greenwood, Ghanem E. Ghanem, Joost van den Oord, Jean Feunteun, Alan Spatz The protein phosphatase 2A regulatory subunit PR70 is a gonosomal melanoma tumor suppressor gene. Science Translational Medicine (2016)
- Rawson R, Johansson P, Hayward N, Waddell N, Patch A, Lo S, Pearson J, Thompson JF, Mann G, Scolyer RA, Wilmott J. Unexpected UVR and non-UVR mutation burden in some acral and cutaneous melanomas. Laboratory Investigation (2016)
- Lee JJ, Vilain RE, Granter SR, Hu NR, Bresler SC, Xu S, Frank AH, Mihm MC Jr, Saw RP, Fletcher CD, Scolyer RA, Murphy GF, Lian CG. 5-Hydroxymethylcytosine is a Nuclear Biomarker to Assess Biological Potential in Histologically mbiguous Heavily Pigmented Melanocytic Neoplasms. J Cutan Pathol (2016)
- Shameen N, Bece A, Stockler M, Sandroussi CA, Watson G, Hruby G. A rare case of omental metastasis as first and singular site of failure from localized prostate cancer. Case Reports in Clinical Pathology 2016; 3(4)
- Liang S, Panagiotaki E, Bongers A, Peng Shi, Sved P, Watson G, Bourne R. Information-based ranking of 10 compartment models of diffusion-weighted signal attenuation in fixed prostate tissue. NMR Biomed 2016; 29:660-71
- Bourne R, Bongers A, Chatterjee A, Sved P, Watson G. Diffusion anisotropy in fresh and fixed prostate tissue ex vivo. Magn Reson Med 2016; 76:626-34
- Young AI, Law AM, Castillo L, Chong S, Cullen HD, Koehler M, Herzog S, Brummer T, Lee EF, Fairlie WD, Lucas MC, Herrmann D, Allam A, Timpson P, Watkins DN, Millar EK, O'Toole SA, Gallego-Ortega D, Ormandy CJ, Oakes SR. MCL-1 inhibition provides a new way to suppress breast cancer metastasis and increase sensitivity to dasatinib. Breast Cancer Res. 2016;18:125
- Ryu SW, Ho K, O'Toole SA, Green A, Kim HW. Case report of male breast cancer detected on magnetic resonance imaging. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2016 Oct 5. doi: 10.1111/1754-9485.12542. [Epub ahead of print]
- Denkert C, Wienert S, Poterie A, Loibl S, Budczies J, Badve S, Bago-Horvath Z, Bane A, Bedri S, Brock J, Chmielik E, Christgen M, Colpaert C, Demaria S, Van den Eynden G, Floris G, Fox SB, Gao D, Ingold Heppner B, Kim SR, Kos Z, Kreipe HH, Lakhani SR, Penault-Llorca F, Pruneri G, Radosevic-Robin N, Rimm DL, Schnitt SJ, Sinn BV, Sinn P, Sirtaine N, O'Toole SA, Viale G, Van de Vijver K, de Wind R, von Minckwitz G, Klauschen F, Untch M, Fasching PA, Reimer T, Willard-Gallo K, Michiels S, Loi S, Salgado R. Standardized evaluation of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in breast cancer: results of the ring studies of the international immuno-oncology biomarker working group. Mod Pathol. 2016; 29:1155-64
- Reagh JJ, Eckstein RP, Selinger CI, Evans J, O'Toole SA, Gill AJ. Liposarcoma masquerading as an inflammatory pseudotumor: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2016; 10:64
- Jackett LA, Scolyer RA, Bishop JF, Thompson JF. Primary Melanoma of the Lung. In Textbook of Uncommon Cancers 4th Edition. Eds. D Raghavan, D Brecher , DH Johnson, NJ Meropol, PL Moots and PG Rose. John Wiley & Sons, London, 2016.
- Gershenwald, J.E., Scolyer, R.A and the AJCC Melanoma Staging Committee Taskforce. Melanoma of the Skin in AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. ed. Amin, M.B. 8th Edition, Springer: New York 2016.
- Polascik TJ, Amin M, Ghai S, Jimenez RE, Kench JG, Klotz L, Montironi R, Muto S, Rastinehad AR, Tay KJ, Turkbey B, Villers A. Surveillance after Focal Therapy. In: Image-guided therapies for prostate and kidney cancers. Ed. Sanchez-Salas R, Desai M. Société Internationale d'Urologie (SIU) Montreal 2016:355-76
- Stretch JR, Scolyer RA, Vilain RE, Varey AHR.. Chapter 3 Histogenesis. In Melanoma Principles and Practice. Melanoma Institute Australia, Sydney, 2016
- Guitera P, Rocha L, Wang S, Scolyer RA. Chapter 5 Melanoma Mimics. In Melanoma Principles and Practice. Melanoma Institute Australia, Sydney, 2016.
- Guitera P, Collgros H, Wang S, Scolyer RA. Chapter 6 Benign melanocytic lesions. In Melanoma Principles and Practice. Melanoma Institute Australia, Sydney, 2016.
- Jackett L, Vilain RE, Rawson R, Scolyer RA. Chapter 9 Pathology. In Melanoma Principles and Practice. Melanoma Institute Australia, Sydney, 2016.
- Jackett LA et al. Pathological Assessment of Melanoma. Chapter in: Stretch J et al. Melanoma Principles and Practice. 2016. Issue 1.3, Melanoma Institute Australia.
- Kench JG. New Zealand Society of Pathologists ASM, Napier, September 2016: An update on the 2014 ISUP grading system and the ICCR recommendations for prostate cancer reporting.
- Kench JG. New Zealand Society of Pathologists ASM, Napier, September 2016: The 2016 WHO classification of renal cell cancer: Evolution or revolution?
- Mahar A New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting, Napier, September 2016: 'Update in Pulmonary Pathology'
- Mahar A New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting, Napier, September 2016: 'Challenges in Pleural and Mediastinal Biopsy Interpretation'
- Mahar A International Skeletal Society Meeting, Paris, France, 'Intracortical metaphyseal chondroblastoma' 2016
- Mahar A International Skeletal Society Meeting, Paris, France, 'Q fever of the distal femur with a penumbra sign' 2016
- Scolyer RA. Society of Melanoma Research, Annual Scientific Meeting Boston, Invited Speaker, International, United States, 2016
- Scolyer RA. Massachusetts General Hospital Pigmented Lesion Clinic 50th Anniversary Mini-Symposium, Invited Speaker, International, United States, 2016
- Scolyer RA. The 3rd Beijing International Melanoma Congress, Invited Speaker, International, China, 2016
- Scolyer RA. 2016 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre Pathology of Melanocytic Tumours Course, Invited Speaker, International, United States
- Scolyer RA. 2016 USCAP Course on Melanocytic tumours, Invited Speaker, International, United States
- Scolyer RA. 2016 ESMO Asia 2016, Invited Speaker, International, Singapore
- Jackett L. International Sentinel Node Society biannual meeting, Milan, invited speaker 'The Australian sectioning protocol' 2016
- Jackett L. Australasian Dermatopathology Conference, Auckland, invited speaker 'Controversial melanocytic lesions'
- Kench JG. International Academy of Pathology, Australasian Branch 40th Annual Scientific Meeting, ISUP Urology Companion Meeting 'The ICCR, Prostate Cancer Grading and the Beginning of a New Era?' Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, June 2016
- Kench JG. 34th Review & Recent Advances in Pathology Lecture Series 'Structured Pathology Reporting, Prostate Cancer Grading and the End of Gleason?' Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, May 2016
- Mahar A. Royal Prince Alfred Dermatopathology Inter-hospital Conference, University of Western Sydney Cytology Course, 'EBUS cytology'
- Mahar A. Annual Scientific Meeting Australian Division of the International Academy of Pathology, Brisbane, Australia. Lung Companion Session 'Interstitial Pneumonia with Autoimmune Features'
- Gupta R, 'Updates in Pathology' postgraduate series for trainees in Anatomical Pathology 'Recent advances in Head and Neck Soft Tissue Tumours.' 2016
- Gupta R, 'Updates in Pathology' postgraduate series for trainees in Anatomical Pathology 'Recent advances in Head and Neck Molecular Pathology.' 2016
- Scolyer RA. Oncoimmunology Symposium, Keynote Speaker, National, Australia
- Scolyer RA. Royal Prince Alfred Hospital: Australian Melanoma Genome Project, Keynote Speaker, National, Australia
- Scolyer RA. Australasian Melanoma Conference, Keynote Speaker, National, Australia
- Cooper WA. Molecular genetics of non-small cell lung cancer - current state of play. RCPA Pathology Updates conference, 2016, Melbourne (O).
- Cooper WA. PD-L1 testing - are we ready yet?. Australian Lung Cancer Clinical Trials Group - Lung Cancer Symposium, 2016, Sydney (O).
- Cooper WA. Biomarkers - Making sense of the assays for immunotherapy. Invited plenary lecture. Australian Lung Cancer Conference, 2016, Melbourne (O).
- Cooper WA, Tran T, Kao S, Bremnes R. Concordance of PD-L1 immunohistochemical expression in matched primary and metastatic NSCLC samples using 3 different antibody clones. Australian Lung Cancer Conference, 2016, Melbourne (O).
- Karim RZ. RCPA Updates Lecture 2016 - Cutaneous manifestation of systemic disease
- Karim RZ. IAP Dermatology Companion Meeting 2016 - Ectodermal dysplasia
- Karim RZ. IAP Soft Tissue Companion Companion Meeting 2016 - Extraskeletal myxoid chrondrosarcoma
- Karim RZ. Australasian Dermatopathology Society Meeting 2016 - Clinicopathological Gems Session
- Jackett L. International Academy of Pathologists, Australasian Meeting, Brisbane, 2016, invited speaker Dermatopathology companion session: 'Pregnancy-related melanocytic lesions'.
- Jackett L. Australasian Melanoma Conference, Sydney, oral presentation Jackett L 'Clinicopathological associations of NF1 mutant melanomas' and oral presentation 'Incidence of recurrent melanoma in wide local excision specimens'
||YEARS total $$
|NHMRC Project Grant
||Evans S, Neale R, Zalcberg J, Goldstein D, Green S, Merrett N, Kench J, White K
||Optimising care for patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer: a prospective cohort study
|NHRMC Equipment Grant
||NanoString nCounter SPRINT Profiler System for Shared Use in the Open Access, Multi-User, Bosch Molecular Biology Facility
|NHMRC Program Grant
||Kefford RF, Thompson JF, Hersey P, Mann GJ, Scolyer RA, Haywood N, Long GV
||Molecular determinants of risk, progression and treatment response in melanoma
|Australia New Zealand Head and Neck Cancer Society
||Catherine Zilberg, Bruce Ashford, Marie Ranson, Jonathan Clark, Ruta Gupta.
||Analysis of Clinically Relevant Somatic Mutations in High Risk Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
|Australia New Zealand Head and Neck Cancer Society
||Tharsiga Gunasekran, Bruce Ashford, Ruta Gupta, Jonathan Clark, Marie Ranson.
||Nanostring RNA analysis of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma
Contact details for department
Head of Department: Clinical Professor James Kench
Department/Unit: Tissue Pathology and Diagnostic Oncology
Telephone: (02) 9515 7458
Facsimile: (02) 9515 8405