The Big Idea 2018
The Big Idea is a Sydney Research event focusing on developing research innovation and commercialisation. In 2018, The Big Idea formed a key event in Sydney Local Health District’s Innovation Week.
MC Julie McCrossin joined us as we heard from leaders with years of experience in health, academia, R&D, innovation management and commercialisation:
- Adj Assoc Prof Vicki Taylor, Executive Director, Sydney Research
- Dr Marlene Kanga AM, Special Advisor to the Innovation and Science Australia Board
- Tim Hirst, Chairman at Gamma Vaccines Pty Ltd, Ozstar Therapeutics Pty Ltd and GPN Vaccines Pty Ltd
- Warren Bingham, Chairman, Investor, Future Asset Management International
The Big Idea research commercialisation challenge heard the best new ideas from:
- A/Prof Wojciech Chrzanowski, School of Pharmacy, and Health and Medicine Theme Leader, Sydney Nano Institute, The University of Sydney
- Prof Maria Fiatarone Singh, John Sutton Chair of Exercise and Sports Science, The University of Sydney
- Prof Tim Lambert, Director, Collaborative Centre for Cardiometabolic Health in Psychosis and Professor of Psychiatry, The University of Sydney
- A/Prof Rebekah Moles, School of Pharmacy, The University of Sydney
The Big Idea 2018 was won by Associate Professor Wojciech Chrzanowski, School of Pharmacy, and Health and Medicine Theme Leader, Sydney Nano Institute, The University of Sydney for his strategy to promote active lung tissue repair in degenerative lung diseases.
Associate Professor Wojciech Chrzanowski and PhD candidate Sally Kim from the University of Sydney were awarded $45,000 in pre-seed funding to support the commercialisation of their idea, called AeroEV.
To learn more about AeroEV, see the story here
You can see photos of the event in the Sydney Connect gallery.
Our 2018 Winner
Your Brand is Your Business
Warren Bingham, Executive Chairman, MedTech International
Update from 2017 Winner
Big Idea? Now what?
Tim Hirst, Chair, Gamma Vaccines, Ozstar Theraputics and GPN Vaccines.