Community Palliative Care Team
The Community Palliative Care Team works with the patient’s General Practitioner to support patients and their carers in maintaining quality of life, comfort and dignity in their own homes.
The Community Team consists of:
- Sydney District Nurses
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Medical home visits for non-ambulatory patients
- Exercise Physiology and Physiotherapy
Sydney District Nurses are core to our community palliative care team, with care provided by generalist community registered nurses, clinical nurse specialists and clinical nurse consultants.
The role of the Community Team includes:
- Monitoring and management of symptoms including pain, nausea, constipation
- Patient and carer education
- Liaison with the General Practitioner (GP)and other specialists
- Facilitating end of life care at home.
- Arranging volunteers to provide respite and companionship at home
- Palliative care doctor home visits for patients who are housebound. A referral from the general practitioner is required.
Patients can be referred to the community palliative care services by their GP or specialists.
Useful community websites and contact numbers:
Access Care Team: 1300 722 276